kole tang help!!!! Urgent!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexusnight

so on monday i picked up a kole tang set him up in the qt and he died yesterday afternoon. went out to lfs and they were kind enough to replace him all my water perameters are great 0 amm, 0 Nitrite and 0 nitrate. api test kits at home and in store. set up the new one in the qt tank with freshwater from the display tank, reg waterchange needed anyway and he looked great. active,eating all good. today i come home and hes on his side barely moving and breathing a little heavy. so i figure somethings wrong here check params again same results, all good. just because, i did a water change with ro saltwater i had pre mixed luckily and now i wait to see what happens. Anyone have good,bad experiences with koles? ideas as to what the heck is going on? ???
thanks I really like this guy and dont want to loose him
i should add he shows no signs of illness other than not moving,breathing a bit heavier than normal but not rapid. still has good colour

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
nexusnight link said:
so on monday i picked up a kole tang set him up in the qt and he died yesterday afternoon. went out to lfs and they were kind enough to replace him all my water perameters are great 0 amm, 0 Nitrite and 0 nitrate. api test kits at home and in store. set up the new one in the qt tank with freshwater from the display tank, reg waterchange needed anyway and he looked great. active,eating all good. today i come home and hes on his side barely moving and breathing a little heavy. so i figure somethings wrong here check params again same results, all good. just because, i did a water change with ro saltwater i had pre mixed luckily and now i wait to see what happens. Anyone have good,bad experiences with koles? ideas as to what the heck is going on? ???
thanks I really like this guy and dont want to loose him
i should add he shows no signs of illness other than not moving,breathing a bit heavier than normal but not rapid. still has good colour

That sucks!

How long were these two tangs captive at the LFS??

If they were fine at the LFS, there might be something affecting them within your system.
What else is in your tank? Anything harrassing them? hows your salinty?

Hats off to the LFS for replacing your Kole Tang, not all will offer a replacement like this.

I have gone through a few Kole Tangs, but the one that survived was nice, fat, and eating like a champ when I got him.
Hope all works out for you.

nexusnight

i went out out and bought a 20gallon long tank, salinty  1.025. hes all by himself. evrything in my display is doing great, small hippo tang,anthia,two picasso clowns and four chromis.
im upgrading to a long 125 next month for my display

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I have a kole tang in my 40 gallon fragtank. Had him for probably 8months. He will be looking for a new home soon.

nexusnight

yup the salt water was mixed last weekend.  arrated and heated to 79 same temp as tank, if he does go i may be interested in jerrys
hes now flat on his side like he cant get up, tries once in a while but fails :(

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
If it was a new addition to the lfs, the problem might be shipping stress, nothing with your QT.

Def good of the store to replace, wonder if they'll do it twice...

We'll get your lighting done, and you'll be so mesmerized by your coral, you won't even want fish anymore!

nexusnight

lol salty ya im trying to figure out my lighting now that i picked up a125 on the weekend its a whole new ball game
the kole at the lfs seemed to look good,swimming eating not sure how long they were there a week maybe?
I floated bag to acclimate temp than drip slow for about an hour maybe a little longer. same process as i always use

davesolo29

Super Active Member
what was the salinity of the store tanks?
1.025 may be really high if the stores are keeping 1.022 or 1.023.

I try to find out what the parameters are kept at prior to fish purposes. 

I

IrishPride

I've had no luck with Kole tangs.  Longest streak for me was a week.  First one I thought was a fluke but died within first couple days.

Thought it might have been the way he was acclimated so I tried again a few months later with the 2nd and he died after a week.  All water parameters mint and checked with hanna chkrs.

He showed no signs of problems, was eating fine and one morning found him upside down.

I'm pretty sure in my case he was stressed but can't say for sure. One fish I've stayed away from since based on my track record and of course not wanting to challenge Neo's record....

:)

Sent from my kickass Samsung S3 using Tapatalk

davesolo29

Super Active Member
IrishPride link said:
One fish I've stayed away from since based on my track record and of course not wanting to challenge Neo's record....

:)
The fish I stay away from now is the copperband butterfly.  I have had 4 or 5 now.  Same results.  Some from stores, some from established tanks.

Also,  I may have Neo beat now.  :(    pretty sure I do.

nexusnight

Wow that rough. Im thinking after this one i may move on... Dunno o really like the kole. May take jerrys. Heres a pic of qt and the kole. He did like a backflip and tried to stay up then fell over and now appears to be brrathing rapidly
vyqy2ujy.jpg
ehupyde4.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

nexusnight

lol plastic floppy thing, lfs checked it for me though and it read the same as my plastic flappy thing suprisingly enough. i plan to get a hydrometer this weekend. its the only thing i dont have thats quality :-\

Status
Not open for further replies.