kole tang help!!!! Urgent!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
sorry to hear.

don't waste your money on a hydrometer.  (which is the plastic flappy thing you already have I'm assuming)
get a refractometer.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
sorry to hear too, yeah I meant a refractometer too.

Usually when a fish kicks it like that, it's stress of some kind.  Shipping stress if the water params are good. 

Throw some damsels in there just to see if they die, this is an untested tank afterall, no?

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
davesolo29 link said:
[quote author=IrishPride link=topic=5011.msg47223#msg47223 date=1365031730]
One fish I've stayed away from since based on my track record and of course not wanting to challenge Neo's record....

:)
The fish I stay away from now is the copperband butterfly.  I have had 4 or 5 now.  Same results.  Some from stores, some from established tanks.

Also,  I may have Neo beat now.  :(    pretty sure I do.
[/quote]

Never Tried my hand at a Copperband yet :)

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
reeffreak link said:
Maybe stray voltage from heater or power head ?

I dont thtink so. My tank has stray voltage that ive measured, and all fish and corals seem unaffected. I have to turn my return pump off everytime I want to stick hand in tank/sump or other tank thats tied in.  Since there are no other fish in this tank...im wondering if there is something toxic in the water/tank. Was this tank purchased used?

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
davesolo29 link said:
what was the salinity of the store tanks?
1.025 may be really high if the stores are keeping 1.022 or 1.023.

I try to find out what the parameters are kept at prior to fish purposes.
This is the question that needs to be asked.  Going from 1.023 to 1.025 is probably not going to kill a healthy fish though.  Problem is a lot of stores keep fish tank at 1.015 or lower......with out a long acclimation they will die.  Also not all fish stores will tell you that the water at the store is low salinity.......they always should do that IMO.  I personally killed a few fish this way when I was first starting.  No one at the store mentioned it to me.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Darryl_V link said:
[quote author=davesolo29 link=topic=5011.msg47222#msg47222 date=1365031668]
what was the salinity of the store tanks?
1.025 may be really high if the stores are keeping 1.022 or 1.023.

I try to find out what the parameters are kept at prior to fish purposes.
This is the question that needs to be asked.  Going from 1.023 to 1.025 is probably not going to kill a healthy fish though.  Problem is a lot of stores keep fish tank at 1.015 or lower......with out a long acclimation they will die.  Also not all fish stores will tell you that the water at the store is low salinity.......they always should do that IMO.  I personally killed a few fish this way when I was first starting.  No one at the store mentioned it to me.
[/quote]

+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
nexusnight link said:
Wow that rough. Im thinking after this one i may move on... Dunno o really like the kole. May take jerrys. Heres a pic of qt and the kole. He did like a backflip and tried to stay up then fell over and now appears to be brrathing rapidly
vyqy2ujy.jpg
ehupyde4.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2
Looking at the picture, it looks like you have black ABS piping in the tank. I am pretty sure that it is not safe for aquariums and can leach out bad stuff into the water.

Also our salinity in our one system is 1.024 right now. A little higher than I like to have it but that is where it is at.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
I used to mod MJ to a stream using ABS fittings.......never had a problem with it.  Most aquarium stuff is made with ABS....I know the quality might be different though....but personally I doubt that abs would be the problem.  I have seen people plumb aquariums with abs because they dont know better and the aquarium is fine.

Big_Als_London

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
Darryl_V link said:
I used to mod MJ to a stream using ABS fittings.......never had a problem with it.  Most aquarium stuff is made with ABS....I know the quality might be different though....but personally I doubt that abs would be the problem.  I have seen people plumb aquariums with abs because they dont know better and the aquarium is fine.
hmm then I really have no idea what the problem is.  Still have the last kole tang here eating great and looks quite healthy.  I am at a loss for words.

Darryl_V

Super Active Member
I didnt know it came from you guys....but if salinity isnt the problem than I dont know either.  Perhaps you should take a water sample in as something fishy is happening....

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I know that most all abs is not to be used for any sort of drinking or potable water.....
Not sure why tho......

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Maybe that fancy fake rock is leaching something crazy that we don't test for ? Or again have you looked into stray voltage ? It would potentially kill fish. Even if it's minor leakage.

I'm just going from everything you've already checked. You used water from your display, and fish from your display are fine ? Water parameters were double checked from you and from Aaron, and they were stable ? Other kole tangs left at store are eating and healthy. Assuming as Aaron mentioned it, its from the same shipment ?

Seems pretty odd that you used your dt water and your having issues. Was the QT tank used previously for reptiles maybe ? Or was it used with any sort of meds ?

I'm just tossing out things that could potentially be a problem. I hope you find out the issue and get a kole in your display nice and healthy for you to enjoy.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
If all your parameters are in check and your other fish are healthy and eating and acting normal then I would try another kole tang......
Often, Fish do not do well during transportation from one tank to another.....even if all params are in check and your tank is A+
Stress is the killer......fish undergo much more stress during transport than corals will....
This is the risk we take in the hobby..... Just be thankful that kole didn't wipe out any others too when it fell ill and died....
Just keep trying.....you will eventually get a kole tang in your tank. Keep us all posted!

reeffreak

Super Active Member
Reef Hero link said:
If all your parameters are in check and your other fish are healthy and eating and acting normal then I would try another kole tang......
Often, Fish do not do well during transportation from one tank to another.....even if all params are in check and your tank is A+
Stress is the killer......fish undergo much more stress during transport than corals will....
This is the risk we take in the hobby..... Just be thankful that kole didn't wipe out any others too when it fell ill and died....
Just keep trying.....you will eventually get a kole tang in your tank. Keep us all posted!

Fish is in a QT tank not his a display so no other fish were affected ...

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Yes, but didn't he say that he used the same water from his DT...... But yes I can see how obviously it would not affect other fish if in a diff system....however, water quality must be very similar. Also keep in mind that the water quality can change in your QT if your setup is diff than DT
I'm not a very big fan of QT anyways.....unless it is setup properly with a large tank and rock and has been established for a long time then really what's the point.....
I would rather have the Lfs keep the fish for a few weeks and basically do the quarantine for you....my two cents.....
But my opinions from before still stand.....I would let big ALS keep the kole for a bit and do quarantine for you and make sure they are eating and healthy and then just acclimate him into your DT....

Status
Not open for further replies.