kole tang help!!!! Urgent!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
But having said that Aaron does a great job with qt and making sure they are healthy as hell before he sells. He would never sell a sick fish knowingly

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Yea I'm sure he does......I've only met him once but he seems very nice and honest. If he is quarantining the fish for you then why bother with a QT.....
By quarantining a fish yourself you must remember that you are taking a fish from the Lfs system setup, putting into a QT system setup, and then again transferring to your DT system. I mean, what is preventing a fish to do well in your QT for a week or two and then die when you transfer to your DT.....nothing imo. If the koles are fine at big Al's then the stress from transport and also possible additional stress from being in a small QT without proper water management and perhaps no LR to hide and feel safe could have easily led to its death.
Again, this is why I don't bother with QT because IMO it takes an entire system fully setup properly to keep the fish in there just as if you were going to put him into your DT. Some LFS are nice enough to do this for us properly and for that I thank them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Darryl_V link said:
[quote author=davesolo29 link=topic=5011.msg47222#msg47222 date=1365031668]
what was the salinity of the store tanks?
1.025 may be really high if the stores are keeping 1.022 or 1.023.

I try to find out what the parameters are kept at prior to fish purposes.
This is the question that needs to be asked.  Going from 1.023 to 1.025 is probably not going to kill a healthy fish though.  Problem is a lot of stores keep fish tank at 1.015 or lower......with out a long acclimation they will die.  Also not all fish stores will tell you that the water at the store is low salinity.......they always should do that IMO.  I personally killed a few fish this way when I was first starting.  No one at the store mentioned it to me.
[/quote]

++

BTW Since you are doing it right with a QT tank anyway, You should run your QT (for fish) in Hyposalinity anyway both to really free the fish of parasites and to reduce the stress that the fish is under. 

Maintaining homeostasis is one of the most energy intensive things that a marine fish has to do, and the higher the salinity the more stressful it is. This is why fish can move from high salinity to low very rapidly with no issues but moving from low to high is extremely hard on them and should be done over several days.  I may be lax on my QT, but the first thing I do when I bring anything home is throw a few drops from the bag onto the Refract (check it yourself) to see what direction it needs to go.  If it is equal or higher than my system...no worries....if it is low (usually the case) then it goes into holding.

Low salinity is an easy way to give a stressed fish a break.  Back in the day when everything you got was brought from a collector and into your hands still in the box that it spent 18hrs sitting on a runway in Sri Lanka in, it was a must do to get good survival rates.

For it to be effective for parasites you need to hit 1.010 but that may be more than you want to do...but anyway from low you have the entire QT period to gradually work the SG back to your display level.

I personally prefer to use watered down tank water for the process so the fish can gradually get used to all of the other levels and micro fauna in your system.  Acclimating to new micro fauna is important especially if you like to mix Atlantic and Pacific species in your system.

reeffreak

Super Active Member
I read that the question about salinity differences was answered and the salinity from this specific store is almost that of the QT, so close that like darrylv mentioned it wouldn't be a big deal to go from 1.025 to 1.026. That is not the issue if both instruments are accurate at measuring salinity.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Reef Hero link said:
Yea I'm sure he does......I've only met him once but he seems very nice and honest. If he is quarantining the fish for you then why bother with a QT.....
By quarantining a fish yourself you must remember that you are taking a fish from the Lfs system setup, putting into a QT system setup, and then again transferring to your DT system. I mean, what is preventing a fish to do well in your QT for a week or two and then die when you transfer to your DT.....nothing imo. If the koles are fine at big Al's then the stress from transport and also possible additional stress from being in a small QT without proper water management and perhaps no LR to hide and feel safe could have easily led to its death.
Again, this is why I don't bother with QT because IMO it takes an entire system fully setup properly to keep the fish in there just as if you were going to put him into your DT. Some LFS are nice enough to do this for us properly and for that I thank them!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree, unless your setup with a very nice QT system, Tangs or other large fish arent going to do well in a bare 20 gallon tank, we all know that QT fish is the proper thing to do but without the proper setup i think its often too hard on fish and ends up being the cause of death.. You also cant consider what aaron does for customers a true QT, there just isnt room at a store to accommodate that, he does do a great job with keeping and making sure livestock is healthy before its sold tho, thats for sure!. I have 8 fish total from Big Als london in my tank and they are all great.

nexusnight

thanks alot for all the help and support. all my fish are from Als and never had any loses. I was in on the weekend and he helped me out with a damsel to try just to confirm the tank was not the problem. Damsel came from same tank as the koles as well. Today is day two and so far so good. hes active and eats like a champ. Im at a loss as to whats up with the kole tangs ???
My blue hippo tang came from there underwent same treatment and is healthy as can be.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
nexusnight link said:
thanks alot for all the help and support. all my fish are from Als and never had any loses. I was in on the weekend and he helped me out with a damsel to try just to confirm the tank was not the problem. Damsel came from same tank as the koles as well. Today is day two and so far so good. hes active and eats like a champ. Im at a loss as to whats up with the kole tangs ???
My blue hippo tang came from there underwent same treatment and is healthy as can be.

My Kole Tang is from Big Als London as well. Got him I think on the last midnight madness they did, he didnt eat anything I fed my other fish, purchased a omega clip and some dried seaweed, clipped it on...he pecked at it...never ate a ton of it...I think he clicked in if he didn't eat he was going to die....now he eats whatever I drop in and is constantly picking at anything not a coral in tank. Loves playing in the powerheads and dive bombing between the frag shelves. If I don't get a bigger tank soon...he will be up for sale as I would like to see him in a longer tank with other tangs :)

Status
Not open for further replies.