Lagoon Reef Build

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
I think you mean biological filtration. Mechanical would be sponges and filter floss. It won't be opened or maintained, it will act as a very porous surface for aerobic bacteria. As far as I understand the concept, it is similar to the old DSB style, where organic carbon dosing benefits you greatly. I have had 7litres in my sump for months, it works wonders alongside NO3P04x to bring my phosphates and nitrates to almost nothing. My only mechanical filtration is 2 filter socks and my skimmer. Biological, I have 2 reactors, one that is an algae scrubber filled with cheato, the other siporax. Chemical I have a carbon reactor, a gfo reactor and dose activated carbon. No water changes.

Last edited:

derrick orosz

Super Active Member
I think you mean biological filtration. Mechanical would be sponges and filter floss. It won't be opened or maintained, it will act as a very porous surface for aerobic bacteria. As far as I understand the concept, it is similar to the old DSB style, where organic carbon dosing benefits you greatly. I have had 7litres in my sump for months, it works wonders alongside NO3P04x to bring my phosphates and nitrates to almost nothing. My only mechanical filtration is 2 filter socks and my skimmer. Biological, I have 2 reactors, one that is an algae scrubber filled with cheato, the other siporax. Chemical I have a carbon reactor, a gfo reactor and dose activated carbon. No water changes.
What's a water change ? :p

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
Quite a few people have already put in orders for Sam's next trip. Going to post a sale thread as soon as I snap WYSIWG pictures. I will have frags of the following available: Ultimate Bonzai, Alpha Centuri Zoanthids, Jason Fox Bella Blues, Tyree Undata Colony, Season's Greetings Colony, RR Pink Matrix, RR Purple Dragon, Neon Birdsnest, Tricolour Parlowenses, RR Nauti Spiral, Tyree Armageddon IIs, Darth Mauls, Solar Flares, Bali Green Slimer Acropora, Red Planet, RR Red Roses, Yellow Carolina . Some very special frags that I will include pending me checking in on their colouration are Jason Fox Slow Burn Montipora, Reef Raft Rainbow Dynamite Chalice, RR CJ Pillows, Reef Tech Starburst Montipora and a couple others :). Stay posted for pics.

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
Upgraded my filtration a ton. Installed two identical reactors:

I am running a DC-1500 through the UV and then a reactor, then a DC-2000 through the other reactor and my cheato reactor. I also have a SWC carbon reactor with a few cups of carbon, and a tiny innovative marine desktop reactor tumbling GFO. I don't find the GFO to be too necessary to my setup, and the reactor is super easy to use and service.

I also changed up my lighting based on Ecotech's recommendations. I installed TIR lenses on all my Radions, and am running an XR30 pro and XR15 pro over the 4 foot display, and an XR30 over the frag system.

The frag system is setup to grow corals as cleanly and as quickly as possible. It has a Purple Tang, a Tomini Tang and a Bicolour Foxface to eat the algae off all the frags, and a Bird Wrasse to take care of any pests that come through. It is bare bottomed. When I pick up a coral to inspect it, the Purple Tang and the Bird Wrasse come to inspect it too and pick off anything unwanted. I absolutely love the tank, the dimensions are wonderful and the fish are great. I also put a Snowflake Moray in there to keep a lot of waste for the corals to eat.

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
Going to be releasing my own frozen food after quite a bit of experimentation. It is perfect for reef tanks with fish and corals, containing foods of many many particle sizes.

Everything is rinsed multiple times in R/O water and can just be tossed into the tank with no worries. There are no shells or any debris in the package.

Ingredients:

PE Mysis Shrimp
Fresh Scallops
Fresh Shrimp
Fresh Chucked Oysters
Fresh Mussels
Fresh Clams
Fresh Squid
Fresh Whitefish
Fresh Yellow Fin Tuna
Fresh Soft-shell Crab
Cyclops
Calanoid Copepods
Krill
Silversides
Gut-loaded live-frozen baby brine shrimp
Gut-loaded live-frozen tisbe, acartia, parvocalanus, pseudodiaptomusand tigriopus copepods
Gut-loaded live-frozen l and s series rotifers
Tetraselmis, Pavlova, Nannochloropsis, T-Isochrysis phytoplanktons
Garlic extract

Last edited:

saltmeup

Going to be releasing my own frozen food after quite a bit of experimentation. It is perfect for reef tanks with fish and corals, containing foods of many many particle sizes.

Everything is rinsed multiple times in R/O water and can just be tossed into the tank with no worries. There are no shells or any debris in the package.

Ingredients:

PE Mysis Shrimp
Fresh Scallops
Fresh Shrimp
Fresh Chucked Oysters
Fresh Mussels
Fresh Clams
Fresh Squid
Fresh Whitefish
Fresh Yellow Fin Tuna
Fresh Soft-shell Crab
Cyclops
Calanoid Copepods
Krill
Silversides
Gut-loaded live-frozen baby brine shrimp
Gut-loaded live-frozen tisbe, acartia, parvocalanus, pseudodiaptomusand tigriopus copepods
Gut-loaded live-frozen l and s series rotifers
Tetraselmis, Pavlova, Nannochloropsis, T-Isochrysis phytoplanktons
Garlic extract
Sounds super!! Gonna spoil my reef inhabitants with some

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
Thanks everyone. If anyone is making out to Toronto this weekend, I am going to be offering free samples of my food in exchange for a review. I am absolutely shocked at how wild my fish and corals go and how quickly it disappears from the water column.
IMG_20160513_092024.jpg

David Caplan

Website Affiliate
Got this message after giving out my first sample: "Omg, I'll be buy this frozen food of u from now and on. Just fed the fish all of them went crazy over it, my butterfly and clown tang then never saw eating since I got them a week ago ate a lot of it, and finally the Mandarin loves it too. I guess now I can get rid of this wrasse I have and get a cleaner wrasse!! "

fache98

David.... Frozen food is getting devoured by the clowns. They love it. Sends them into a frenzy. should call it the "Frozen Frenzy treats". Thanks again for the generous sample. Grade A

SamB

Super Active Member
Pardon the interruption David but I wanted to tell everyone that I am happy to transport "David's frenzy"
Just need to use the ice packs

Ironic eh ?! Usually I'm trying to keep corals and fish warm ! :p