"lasers"

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Thanks for the video Mark. Seems like it cooked the paly quickly.

Keep us posted and let us know if you'll have to repeat the process or not.

I didn't know you were about to use the laser through the glass. I had thought it needed to be used top down. Did you notice the temp of the glass increased in the area where you were pointing the laser through?

S8

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Thanks for the video Mark. Seems like it cooked the paly quickly.

Keep us posted and let us know if you'll have to repeat the process or not.

I didn't know you were about to use the laser through the glass. I had thought it needed to be used top down. Did you notice the temp of the glass increased in the area where you were pointing the laser through?

S8

Absolutely no change in glass temp. The laser beam comes out rectangular and is in no way focused on the glass. I spent the night and a second set of batteries zapping a whole bunch as well as some green hairy mushrooms that have gotten out of control. I think I will have to do it again, but hey, the batteries are rechargeable.

Kyle1970

Mmm. Jealous. Just watching this makes me smile.
Reefing you always learn, but how often is it actually entertaining.
Would be great for clove polyps too (So glad I’m past that)

Wait till the wrong people see this and start a petition in defence of the poor mushrooms. They have no way to defend themselves.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
It takes a few tries per poylp and lots of work. Itt isnt a one shot and done. I had to stop for a bit as the death smell from my skimmer was too much for my wife to handle. She retaliated by spraying the fish from with air freshener which triggered a clear jelly bacteria bloom clogging everything up. She didnt know that would happen. I will be hooking up my skimmer direct to my drain and venting it to ther sewer, then I will get back at it and track progress. The smell the next day really is horrific.

It isnt a large area irradiation method. More like trim up the stragglers after manual removal of kalk paste blanket.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I used it on a hairy mushroom and worked well. Needs a few sessions with the laser but I couldnt finish it off for the above reasons. Hopefully getting things re plumbed this weekend and back at it

hark

If anyone wants to borrow my laser for a day you can before you buy your own to try.

You have to agree to pick it up and drop it off a day later though.

Given the batteries have limited life I will charge up a set of batteries and send them with the unit, not sending the charger as this is only a try it out scenario. I guess if you want to rent it you can as well for longer and with a charger, never done that but willing too if you wanted to try it for 2 or 3 days

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
There no Palytoxin risk with this?
There is palytoxin risk in every tank on a daily basis. They secrete it every time a shrimp walks across them or fish swims past. It is found in palys and zoas as well as different types of algae of which we all have in our tanks.

The recent scares are over rated and occured through ignorance. Ther may sound harsh but true.

Matt1997

There is palytoxin risk in every tank on a daily basis. They secrete it every time a shrimp walks across them or fish swims past. It is found in palys and zoas as well as different types of algae of which we all have in our tanks.

The recent scares are over rated and occured through ignorance. Ther may sound harsh but true.

Is it not more dangerous as a vapor? Would hitting them with a laser not be similar to boiling them?

How many times do you have to go over palys with laser till there completely gone? nice video by the way. I thought you'd have your arm in the tank with the laser.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
How many times do you have to go over palys with laser till there completely gone? nice video by the way. I thought you'd have your arm in the tank with the laser.

The test ones I played with before the video took 3 I believe. The small test patch of 4 that I did the night I got it are all gone and have not even started to grow back. I will have to set up a control polyp and document daily.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
which head did you use? only 1 seems anything like a point, and i can't get mine focused very well.
I dont use any of the tips. It is tricky to focus but working well. Just very slowly. I dont recommend for a large area but I have been working on a dozen or so and things were going well before I went back to work. Haven't been home to finish the guys off.

The issue arises that Ontario law only allows that wattage max for personal use. A higher wattage laser would be better and more effective. It is working for me though. I also printed a collar so I can adjust the laser easier.