Light Requirements For Sps

Kyle1970

Without a PAR meter, does the birds nest and Montipora look happy with the amount of light they are receiving?

e1a1575b0f9196a149b733aa23865203.jpg

In my eyes I think they look happy.
So if I have Acro or Montipora they would be better even higher in the tank.

Anything I put on the rock above the birds nest seems to die. Even with 2 weeks of acclimation.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Copperkills

Without a PAR meter, does the birds nest and Montipora look happy with the amount of light they are receiving?

e1a1575b0f9196a149b733aa23865203.jpg

In my eyes I think they look happy.
So if I have Acro or Montipora they would be better even higher in the tank.

Anything I put on the rock above the birds nest seems to die. Even with 2 weeks of acclimation.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too much UV, take em out and put some suntan lotion on them SPF100!

Kman

Super Active Member
Before making any light adjustments what do the other corals in the tank look like? Usually if the UV or intensity is to high the entire tank shows it. The closer to the top you get the worse it gets. Same thing for the closer the coral is under the light the worse it is as these are hot zones. If stuff dies like you mentioned if you put anything above it you might have the intensity to high. Those RMS arms are not that high so the blending of the light isn't as good and the more hot zones you get.

What size of tank do you have? Do you have the G4 PRO 95, 150 or 190 and how many? For placement is the birds nest directly under the led or off to the side? How high in the tank is it? Can you take a full tank pic so I can get a better view of your coral placement and the light zones.

Also take a look at this doc for placement help.

https://ecotechmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/ReefWholesale_CoralLab.pdf

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Looks like some great growth so far.

As for the Ecotech Radion G4 version, you can tell by looking it up on in the ESL device information through Reeflink (if you have one) or connect to the light via USB and open ESL to look at the device information. You can also just look at the light, the Pro has a few extra LEDs. The most noticeable is the extra on in the center.

radion-g4-pro-led-colors-spectrum.jpg

Kyle1970

G4 Pro but not sure what the 95, 150, 190 means.

I’m getting some crazy growth from a few pieces but seems anything new (sps) I’m putting in even when acclimated for a couple weeks was still dying.
Red dragon, Millepora etc.

I will try longer acclimation perhaps.

harleymike

Super Active Member
All I run is a 6 bulb cheap sunblaze fixture. It was a hundred bucks I think. Put ati bulbs in and two reefbrite lite strips. Works for me. No need for high priced fixtures. Water quality is as, if not more important. Also, don't waste a lot on that either. Just the basics. Keep it simple.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
G4 Pro but not sure what the 95, 150, 190 means.

I’m getting some crazy growth from a few pieces but seems anything new (sps) I’m putting in even when acclimated for a couple weeks was still dying.
Red dragon, Millepora etc.

I will try longer acclimation perhaps.

The 95, 150, 190 relates to the watts, the Pro is 190, non pro is 150 and the XR15 is 95.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
So what's the benefit to ecotech over say the AI lights? Not thread hijacking, but am at that point where I probably have to replace ~100 LEDs that have been running non-stop for 8 years (DIY) or just forking out the insane sums for one of these lights... I guess I'm saying, what's the best bang for the $ these days? When I started in LED, the commercial fixtures couldn't do sps, evidently they have improved over the years :)

Jason Bell

With the new tank I was at the same place. I had 3 AI primes, could have added a fourth and might have been okay, or spend $1500 on led. I enjoy the led for ease of use, programming etc, but I have always missed my T5 setup. I found an open box ATI 6 bulb for $400, bought ATI bulbs for $33 each and I'm happy as can be. I will add one or two strips for the pop of color.

In the end it comes down to space, what you want, of course the all mighty dollar as well. I made my choice after watching the BRS test of T5.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
With the new tank I was at the same place. I had 3 AI primes, could have added a fourth and might have been okay, or spend $1500 on led. I enjoy the led for ease of use, programming etc, but I have always missed my T5 setup. I found an open box ATI 6 bulb for $400, bought ATI bulbs for $33 each and I'm happy as can be. I will add one or two strips for the pop of color.

In the end it comes down to space, what you want, of course the all mighty dollar as well. I made my choice after watching the BRS test of T5.

I did 15 years of T5 and MH, I'll never go back. The inconsistencies of the bulbs at the beginning-mid-end of life cycle, the heat (well of the MH), and the cost of replacing bulbs was just too much. I still run 2-4' T5's as supplement lighting, but my LEDs have paid for themselves 20 times over, and even my drivers are all still original. In all, I think I've replaced maybe 10 led bulbs over the years... but I figure even CREEs must have a lifespan. BRS likely pushes them because they can keep selling replacements every 6 months. LEDs last too long for them.