Light Requirements For Sps

Kyle1970

I went from originally having T5 to Vertex to Kessil to radion

Got out of T5 originally because of bulb replacement cost.

LED have come a long way. For me, with an open top tank, a DIY was not an option. Radion provided a nice clean look, no mass of wires everywhere and I like the RMS.

I really like the color and adjustability with the radion. Likely much the same with AI so it would depend on preference.

Jason Bell

BRS uses 4 T5 with Kessil led down the middle. I never have replaced by T5 bulbs with less than 12 months, several growers I deal with are on the same schedule. It really is a personal choice. MH I gave up on years ago, heat and $$$ to run.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I use AI sols, I modify the pucks, I remove 4 whites and add 3 hyper violets and a red, I run 6 over my 7foot tank supplemented with 2 60" T5s, 1 true actinic and 1 aquablue special to get some green in the spectrum, I run the sols at 70% and the T5s midday, seems to be working for me.

Jason Bell

Do you find much with the actinic? I had 3 blue plus, 2 coral plus and 1 actinic, but recently changed to 4 b+, 1 c+ and 1 purple plus. Love the color but want to add 1 reef brite vho actinic.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I liked the actinic but wanted some green in the spectrum, I was running 2 actinic and liked the look

Kyle1970

So the monti and the birdsnest continue to love the light schedule.
The millipora not so much. Turned brown, and lost all tissue.
Everything else seems happy.
So at this point I just stay away from higher end sps.
Great blue piece just underneath the birdsnest.

bc0f68fd39201b8cf2e1cdaece1e1697.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Sps wants:
High light (proper spectrum)
high water movement
Stability (not moved for long long times even if it's not responding).
Heavy water changes and proper 3 part dosing.
Very low PO4. If you can get phosphate into the Parts per billion, instead of even the parts per million, you'll have better colour and growth.
Good salt. That's why I stick with RC, I had lots of weird problems with sps until I changed to RC and never ever put any other kind of salt in there. It also comes back to Stability above. Pick a good salt and stick with it forever. If it's a "new" salt to market look into the company making it. If it's a new kind of startup, avoid it, they might be out of business next month, or they may decide not to ship to Canada, or who knows.
Check your parameters, all the answers are in there. Get good test kits (digital ones if possible), some of the match-a-colour ones can't possibly give proper readings in ultra low nutrient systems.

Basically, if sps can get lots of food from the water (Phosphate for example), then they brown up and stop getting food from phtosynthesis. The more you "starve" them, they will then go to the light source. If you have high nutrients, and crappy light spectrum, you're going to get very brown sps. That's why I push GFO, DSB, very light feedings (I feed the fish maybe twice a week) and proper quality LED lights (the first batch of wallet-friendly chinese led's were sadly lacking in proper light wavelength output, they're likely better now). As well, the light setting that makes the corals look amazing may not have enough full spectrum to make them happy. I run all lights at max capacity from 11am-4pm, at which time I switch to ultra purple T5's and mostly UV and ROYAL BLUE LEDs. Corals look like crap under the whites, but may they pop under the blues.
11215661656_f7d6ee9662_c.jpg

Jason Bell

I can attest to stability, very difficult for myself to not 'play' in the tank...this time around I have left things alone and am getting good results with that. Also the water changes, I don't do per day as I think i've seen you write about however I do complete a 30g change every weekend. I mainly have softies as I enjoy movement in the tank, but acquired several SPS pieces and so far so good.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I can attest to stability, very difficult for myself to not 'play' in the tank...this time around I have left things alone and am getting good results with that. Also the water changes, I don't do per day as I think i've seen you write about however I do complete a 30g change every weekend. I mainly have softies as I enjoy movement in the tank, but acquired several SPS pieces and so far so good.

Oh yeah, the 5 gallon per day thing would likely be just as good as 30 gallons per week, I just don't have a big enough reservoir for salt water to do it, so I just do a bucket at a time. :)

Staying out of the tank is tough, especially when it's new. I mean, what kind of fun toy is one you can't play with? BUT, that's the key.
One other trick to getting growth is to sometimes trimming off a tip that hasn't grown, when you know the colony is otherwise stable and healthy. In the wild a piece breaking off can trigger growth, and I've seen it happen in my tank.

Yuri Lee

Before the acros die, how does it behave? Bleach? brown out? tissue necrosis? Why do you suspect it's the lighting?

I have Hydra 64HD x 2 over my standard 75G and all acros do fine even at the top of the tank, max intensity 100% on all blues (running David Saxby's profile).

My tank may have done better with T5s years ago but these new LEDs beat T5s hands down, only downside is the cost.

Kyle1970

Acros and milli both had flesh turn brown. Then slowly from base up the flesh comes off. Took quite a while.

Other sps in the tank is doing fine.

Kyle1970

Only place in the tank with algae is the frags.

This milli was left low in the tank. No color but still has PE.
The frags beside it were a nice blue.

67edc13ff6b41d1ef1c054c23014ce28.jpg

Yuri Lee

Acros and milli both had flesh turn brown. Then slowly from base up the flesh comes off. Took quite a while.

Other sps in the tank is doing fine.

STN. Not good. Likely water quality/parameter issue. Acros are much more picky than birdnest or montiporas. You have a good light and sufficient flow. Must be something with the water...

Kyle1970

80gal total water.

Currently water parameters
Temp set to 78 +\- .2 (old school reef keeper)
Salinity 1.026 (refract)
Calcium 420 salifert
Alk 8 (Hanna)
Nitrate .2 Salifert
Mag 1300 salifert
phosphate -0 (Hanna checker)

Dose Esv Cal and Alk to maintain
Cut feeding back to 3 times a week, gets aquavitro fuel as well.

water change 7gal once a week
Carbon in reactor
About 15 gal portion of sump is low flow, live rock and chaeto with reverse lighting.
Curve 5 pulling skim

Let me know thoughts!

Copperkills

80gal total water.

Currently water parameters
Temp set to 78 +\- .2 (old school reef keeper)
Salinity 1.026 (refract)
Calcium 420 salifert
Alk 8 (Hanna)
Nitrate .2 Salifert
Mag 1300 salifert
phosphate -0 (Hanna checker)

Dose Esv Cal and Alk to maintain
Cut feeding back to 3 times a week, gets aquavitro fuel as well.

water change 7gal once a week
Carbon in reactor
About 15 gal portion of sump is low flow, live rock and chaeto with reverse lighting.
Curve 5 pulling skim

Let me know thoughts!

Feed more!

I’m running similar Parameters but my temp is 76 and I have higher PO4 and Na levels.

I have a regimented feeding schedule and have found feeding more colours up my sps and provides greater PE. When I reduce my feeding and when I swap out my PO4 media I find they colour down temporarily until the nutrient levels are back up.

I keep my ORP 375-400.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Check for stray voltage as well. I had a pump RTN a bunch of sps about 8 months ago. Was so bad I got an actual *snap* when I put my hand in the sump. I had been pulling my hair out because my params were all constant.

Kyle1970

Got home to see the flesh peeling off this one now too.

6028f4208b32c3a20b08a007ff88adb3.jpg

Not sure on next steps.
Need to get macro out and a good photo host site.