Maxspect Riptide Gyre

theyangman

Distinguished Member
I have had one on my tank for about a month.

it pushes a ton of water. hands down the amount of water movement is insane. I have mine dialed in around 40 - 50%. But there is no random flow anymore. Also when I had with the wave box, there is no back and forth movement either. Mind you I don't have much in the way of corals really so it doesn't bug me much, but this might deter some people.

The whole forward and reverse option from what I have experienced and what others have posted is completely useless. The wave maker option works fine, but is annoying as hell. It sounds like a cell phone buzzing on my coffee table, except that it doesn't stop. I was hoping that after a month that I would have a decrease in noise from this thing but it is just as loud as ever. It has something to do with the magnets and how they vibrate against the glass.

When I take the magnets off and just hold it in the water with my hand, it is dead silent. Even in wave mode. But when I re-attach the magnet against the glass, the vibration sound comes back. Considering that my tank is litterally right outside my bedroom door, it is freaking annoying. I have tried putting soft materials between the glass and magnets to deaden the sound but to no avail. Its not the gyre itself or the rotors its the vibration against the glass. So this breaking period garbage is BS.

I'd invite anyone to my house to listen to it before buying one. Make sure you know what you are getting. I am seriously considering going back to vortechs which I had dialed in to be dead silent.

reefgeek

There is apparently a stronger holder available that might help solve any vibration noise, an anti vibration pad might be useful as well if placed between the magnet and the glass.