Movin' on.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Nice vid man , did you find sams dirty cave ? Starting to get some practice shots in for him I see !
I can smell him, but can't find him. I'm going to need some KFC as bait.

Gotta tell you, when you're running around inside your house, chasing a puppy with a nugget of actual bear poop in his mouth, you know you aren't in normal land anymore....

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Lol. So TEN months into the move.... no regrets, but I don't think I'll be getting a reef tank any time soon.

I'm 2km away from the edge of the fire as of right now. Pretty much everyone around me has been evacuated, I'm still sipping margaritas on the deck. If it continues down to the only escape route, I'll likely be evacuated too, tomorrow or the next day would be most likely, and if not, then it might come around again next week, if it burns everything up and around Apex mountain.

Our property burned in 2014, so I have less fuel and less risk than most everyone else, but not to say I'm immune if the winds shift from East-West to South-North. Oh and the well ran dry 4 days ago as well, so I've got hit with almost everything that can go bad in a matter of days. Fortunately I have a creek on the property I can draw water from, but technically I don't have permission to do so, as the guy across the street has the water license. Of course, he's right downhill from that plume in the first photo (that's from my front deck).

I hate to admit I'm sort of enjoying this. There's a certain kind of calm that you can only achieve when almost every fear in the world hits you, and you sort of just deal with it. 2 weeks ago 4 of the neighbour's goats got eaten by cougars, and I thought that was tough. My son found a rattler just off the driveway...meh piece of cake.

Back home I could lose a month and not really remember one day from the next. Out here EVERY day has been different from the last. It makes you really appreciate the days when you only have to do 10 things, not 50.

If we're ordered out I'm sending the family, but staying behind with the neighbours to fight the fire. I've got a Mark III pump that is just incredible, so we'll soak properties for embers as long as the road stays passable (the fire crews need the road, so if they're here the road is safe). I don't want to die here, but the community is so kickass I'm not about to run away without at least trying. I kind of think that once you literally fight for your property, it becomes part of you. Or I suppose if I judge wrong, I'll become part of it lol. Wish me luck!! :)

Attachments

• not good probably.jpg
    not good probably.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 822022_91810_Aug 2 Keremeos Creek SW Corner.jpg
    822022_91810_Aug 2 Keremeos Creek SW Corner.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 69

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Stay safe buddy , it’s all fun and games but remember it can be hard to win that battle , everything on your property is replaceable but you . So please be careful bud.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
No worries. There's supposedly 200 people working out here, and they need the road, if it looks like that is being blocked I'll be gone WAY before that, but the fire is heading for us, and I haven't even seen a helicopter for 3 days as they're worried about the southern edge/highway (and we're just 10 or so properties). Global, CTV and the weather channel are sniffing around, because they just want to get sound bites about destruction and climate change. Their eyes glaze over if you talk about dudes dropping into the fire from airplanes, risking their lives, roasting in 35 deg heat...nope, climate change climate change climate change. This one soyboy looking guy came up I thought he was just a dude, until he started arguing with me about the historical data of this area (it's been burning for centuries, and some of the worst fires were in the 1980s, this isn't that bad in comparison). They've got their agenda. He pulled out a recorder and said "mind if I use some sound bites?" I said "unless you use everything I said, NO, and I will litigate if you do, get the fuck out of here". He was with CTV, and we saw his car up the road 2 days later, parked on reservation land with the windows smashed out. I wonder if he "disappeared" (that happens if you screw around on the first nation land here, it's known, you don't go in there and start trespassing or asking questions they don't like). The ironic thing is, CTV will likely report that he died of climate change.
Sorry to be rant-y, it's been stressful, and these maggots have just made a bad situation worse with their agenda. I left the city because of bullshit from 'media' and here they are chasing me hundreds of miles into the woods looking for locals to go on tv and say how we need more carbon tax and banning of personal vehicles.

All that said, I have NO intention of dying up here on a rock, I'll do what I can today, but if they evac and can explain to me how THEIR guys are going to get in and out if the road is the issue, then I'll go. I've chatted with some of the crews, good solid guys, the ones I've met are brutes...that's a HARD career choice, lots of respect to them.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
So fire still raging towards my house. I've worked with the crews for 5 days straight, I probably know more about fighting wildfires than some of the crews out here.
Neighbour across the way had a stroke of genius. We were talking and we know they are "letting" it burn as a form of future fire prevention. Thing is, our houses are in the way of their plans, so we cleared out his back field, and we offered it up as a chopper refulleing station. We now have 50,000 gallons of aviation fuel, and a non stop stream of water choppers landing. They HAVE to hold that staging spot, so now they are dropping water on the hill above them.

4 different crews came to my property on 4 different days, and installed 4 different sprinkler systems on the house. Talk about make work programs. What I discovered was that legit fire guys care about people and want to be here. The rent-a-cop firefighters couldn't care less about anything, and it's just a paycheque, and they will milk the taxpayer for every red cent. Anyway, I've started pricing out parts so that I can have a permanent sprinkler system set up on the house, so that I can specify who and when crews come on the property.

Had a chat with rcmp. Learned a lot from them too. They CAN'T remove me from the property even under an evacuation order, but they CAN arrest me for trying to return once I leave. The attempted pillaging is insane, none of the owners are leaving because there's every sort of thief patrolling the roads, day and night. The rcmp are supposed to be "protecting the properties from theft" and they do that by parking window to window 20 kilometers away. Just absolutely useless.

3am last night I was called to the neighbour's shed. 2 meth heads in there trying to steal his side by side. Couldn't start it, but too methed out to realize we could hear them for miles. Let's say that IF they ever make it back to town, I doubt they will ever come back this way. It's unfortunate what happened to their vehicle. tsk. must have been vandals out as well, really worked over their ride.

So I just installed 2 driveway alarms, one at the road, one half way up the laneway. I am going to install sodium (or better) floodlights on sections, so I can light it up like the surface of the sun, with vantage perches so that I can properly 'greet' visitors. The lane is 3/4 of a kilometer, and 300' rise with 7 switchbacks. It's also the easiest way to get to the house from the road. I caught 2 guys on the first turn with a double flatbed, just "accidentally" coming up to take whatever they could get about 2 months ago. The way it works, they show up, take any vehicles they can, and they leave a note with the amount they want to bring it back. Since it's a "certain demographic group", the police won't investigate, so they do it in broad daylight, as the only risk is the homeowner catching them. They won't be back any time either. Ever wonder why people carry "truck guns"? Well sometimes they are necessities of life.

I am having an absolute blast. I really was born for this. Give me the right to police my own property, and no misconception that police can just come on your property whenever they feel like (like they would do back in London) and I sleep great at night. The only thing I won't really have is real night vision goggles...they're WAY too expensive.

Definitely not the life for everyone, but for those of us that just want to truly be left to our own devices, it's pure heaven :)

Attachments

• moon.jpg
    moon.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 59
  • night.jpg
    night.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 57
  • kooky copter2.jpg
    kooky copter2.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 67
  • pumpkin.jpg
    pumpkin.jpg