Movin' on.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
That place is spectacular, a piece of heaven on earth. You might need chains with those studs though, don't want to slip off the driveway by the looks of things.
Wishing you all the best.
P.S. Reef tanks is for city slickers.
P.S.P.S. If you live in a spectacular place in the beautiful mountains of British Columbia, and you have a reef tank,
You might be a redneck!

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
1634133925902.png

Very nice... have wifi or do you need to wait your turn in line with the loggers? :)

Where does Amazon leave your packages?

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
View attachment 23527

Very nice... have wifi or do you need to wait your turn in line with the loggers? :)

Where does Amazon leave your packages?
No amazon packages out this far, BUT we got the elon musk internet and it's fantastic.

Exactly 20km to the nearest town, so not bad, but good golly this place is awesome. It's winter here already, but the clouds bumping into our house makes it worth it.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Snow melted by mid day, but check this out. ~4000 feet up we really are in the clouds. Mountain air and water, I can't say enough nice things about it. You know how they say "they'll get me out of here in a pine box"? Well yeah, that.

...and I have ALWAYS been a redneck!!!! ;)

Attachments

• DJI_0005.JPG
    DJI_0005.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20211013_070531_9.jpg
    IMG_20211013_070531_9.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG_20211013_070630_8.jpg
    IMG_20211013_070630_8.jpg
    986.4 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20211013_133809_0.jpg
    IMG_20211013_133809_0.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 127
  • IMG_20211013_133821_8.jpg
    IMG_20211013_133821_8.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 168

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
So update (for those interested).
House is still great, people are great, food is great, weather is...great, still 0 regrets, and no pangs of homesickness.
Found out today that the internet dish has a heater in it, that elon musk thinks of everything.
Bought a kubota sidekick. Pretty kickass little buggy. found out the first day why a winch is an absolute necessity.

So far I've had to chase off ~20 cows, 4 horses, half a dozen deer, a llama for some reason, and about a million chipmunks. going to be honest, some of them were less "chased off" than blown into a million pieces. I blame politics.
I also discovered that there is such a thing as a heated, padded lawn chair. It's my new mistress.
Trail cam has not picked up any glimpse of sasquatch, but I assure you, the search continues.

House wise, it's a great log cabin, but all the lipstick is crap. They have all the original "builder's grade" light fixtures, taps, doors, etc. So it's been a small fortune buying this that and the other.

The boiler conked out at 1am one night, got to test the backup propane system, AND learn how to rebuild a boiler.
Pipes backed up real fun like, right into the internal backup boiler, because I didn't know you can't put grease down the drain into the septic.
Oh, and the septic system is HUGE, the tank is humoungous and the bed is 1000 sq feet. BUT it reeked, like reeked so bad I called a dude to come scope/inspect/drain it. Found out that vegetarians have 1000x stinkier poop than meat eaters. Now this is an interesting, and evidently little known fact. When I tried to look it up, 99% of the results were vegan-friendly sites trying to convince people that vegan poop doesn't stink. HOWEVER, while the sanitation guy showed up, and we were digging out the tank cover (it's 2 feet down), he starts sniffing and says "did you say you just bought this place?" and I said "yes", he then said "were the old owners vegetarians? and I said "well...yes they were", and he said "vegan poop reeks, you can always tell the places owned by vegans. So we get done the job of removal, rinsing, removal and then video inspection, and the system is fine. "Really overbuilt" teh guy says. So because we checked the 3 ports in the system (from house, holding tank and weeping bed cleanout), and there was no reason the system should be stinking (I called to have it drained because I assumed it was full-to-the-top because I could smell that tank probably 200 feet away. So there you go. Don't be a stinky vegan (well we'll wait a year and see if it starts to reek again, maybe the guy was on crank or something who knows).

So how hard is it to get used to 100% absolute dead-crazy silence and darkness?

Well that's an interesting one. I don't recall the last time I've had actual silence. Like no crickets, wind, street noise, car alarms, screeching tires, trains, fornicating neighbours with unfortunately open windows, wheaton terriers etc etc etc. I looked it up before I moved here and "white noise" machines were suggested, or running fans, or leaving the tv on or whatever... but EFF that. Silence is absolutely incredible! I'm actually sleeping less, but better (garmin watch tracks it). I never realized how many times you maybe don't wake up, but some noise pulls you out of deep sleep. Anyway, it's phenomenal. The only noise at night is the boiler system heating the floors, which makes a few odd house noises.

As well, you never know just how dark night is. I guess I've always lived near a street light, or had house lights on or whatever, but it's always been relatively easy to see at night. In the woods, you really don't want to be advertising where you are by leaving lights on, and when there's no moon, HOLY CRAP it's like being 10 feet underground. As well, when it's a full moon, you realize just how much light the moon puts out, because this place has a billion windows, so moonlight looks like sunrise. You country folk probably know all this, but for city slicker, this is all new shit. Oh and I've heard people talk about just how many stars are visible when there's no light polution, but I had no idea you can see galaxies of stars.

So that's about it for now. Oh, and they're expensive, but the Garmin fenix watches are just out of this world. Not only do they track movement, heartrate, sleep patterns, stress, altitude etc, but the GPS service is incredible, and it also has an internal barometer, and it "reads" incoming storms (accurately too). We don't get cell service so it's not reading it from an external source, it just figures out that bad things are happening and warns you. I've never been a watch guy before, but damn, this thing is an absolute "must have" if you live in any kind of really rural area, oh such as say middle of nowhere rocky mountains :)

Only regret so far is not having done this a LONG time ago.

Oh, and it's weird that hockey games start at 4pm now, but since daylight savings it gets dark at 5, so it doesn't feel too weird :)

Attachments

• house1.jpg
    house1.jpg
    704.8 KB · Views: 112
  • PICT0011.JPG
    PICT0011.JPG
    507.1 KB · Views: 111
  • PICT0004.JPG
    PICT0004.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3794.JPG
    IMG_3794.JPG
    7.5 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_3815_resize.JPG
    IMG_3815_resize.JPG
    366.9 KB · Views: 111
  • img.jpg
    img.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20211019_154128_3.jpg
    IMG_20211019_154128_3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 109

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
This place is beyond believe. Such a great update. However for some reason I think all the good stuff was to sandwich the poop story which was really the reason for the post.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
This place is beyond believe. Such a great update. However for some reason I think all the good stuff was to sandwich the poop story which was really the reason for the post.
Lol, more like the brown icing on the cake of a semi-eventful last couple of weeks.

Most of the time has been unpacking, painting, etc. Not much interesting.
We shipped a small suv by shipping container...I had the mover put it in the container, and I gave him 2000lb straps and a couple of 1000lb straps, and told him to strap down to the axels or wheels. Well he puts a 2000 LB strap over the hood with a moving blanket on it. If the 4300km trip didn't do it, then the trip up the insane driveway sure did...and now I have an $$ repair and paint job. Things like that are annoying, but not really interesting. Backing that car out of the container using only those ramps I have for changing the oil in the truck was interesting-ish.

But EVERYONE enjoys a good poop story. I tell you, we should feed fish nothing but meat, and maybe that sludge in the skimmers wouldn't smell so bad!! ;)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Oh and I found a "secret" observatory, out in the middle of absolute nowhere last week. Great big facility, with signs on the road about turning off ALL radios and electronics (which is funny considering our vehicles are more electronics than vehicle these days). I was all "wtf are they doing", and then I found out it's been there for almost 60 years, some eccentric built it. Funny thing, it was built in 1959is, and more or less obsolete by 1969, so I assume our taxpayer dollars keep it running. Can't imagine they rake in the cash. They supposedly used to have tours, but as with everything else the coof put a stop to that.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
very nice ! Great read . You say you chased beef away .. times 20! You must be vegan ;) lol
There are a ton of cows around, but they are all owned, they're just allowed to wander free, and in front I have fencing, but the back side of the property is up the mountain and backs onto crown land, not about to start trying to put up a fence in rock, so more or less they can make it in here (and they don't like going back uphill so they sort of just settle in). The owner must have known something was up, he showed up on a utv and herded them all out. I had taken to scaring them off with shotgun blasts (I love this place), and maybe he figured out what was going on (or maybe he just wanted to see if I ate any of them lol).

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Lmao , they guy probably heard hun shots and then hasn’t seen his cows around , he definitely thought you were eating them hahha

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Meant to ask, have you ever driven the trans canada, and specifically through Banff?
Must be one of the most gorgeous places on earth, with one of the most insane roads, and breakneck speeds. Half of it was under construction, very tight lanes, and I was only pulling a loaded pickup and trailer...can't imagine what it's like driving something bigger through there. It was the most white knuckle part of the whole drive (the rest of the trans Canada was more or less flat, boring and uneventful) really wish I could have enjoyed the scenery there a bit more. The spot I have is nice, but it's no Banff...

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I don't have tank beauty shots anymore, so I can only post mountain beauty shots :)

Going to install a whole house UV/filter today I think, that's pretty much the entire day's plan. Gotta love mountain man living.

Attachments

• IMG_3776.JPG
    IMG_3776.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3816_resize.JPG
    IMG_3816_resize.JPG
    315.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3761.JPG
    IMG_3761.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20211019_130059_1_resize.jpg
    IMG_20211019_130059_1_resize.jpg
    543.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20211126_092817_9_resize.jpg
    IMG_20211126_092817_9_resize.jpg
    565.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20211012_201508_2.jpg
    IMG_20211012_201508_2.jpg
    1,005.9 KB · Views: 117

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
Pretty sweet place you got there.
You need a Apex to run the heating system.
Are you on the electrical grid?

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Pretty sweet place you got there.
You need a Apex to run the heating system.
Are you on the electrical grid?
The heat is a bit messy, I keep looking at it and planning how I will someday rebuild it...
It's run from individual thermostats in each room, each connected to the solenoids, pretty simple system really.

We're on electrical, until a tree falls or a car wipes it out. Hydro is dirt cheap out here too. Just paid the bill, 2 months usage, hookup fees and taxes for $340 all in for 2 months. My old house was $350 a month in the winter, almost $600 in the summer.
I also have a generator just in case... There's an ancient tree looming over the hydro lines up the road, it'll topple some day, but I'm not about to be calling anyone in the government to come look at it. The more they see, the more they see to regulate...

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
47 mph winds ripping through here right now. Quite enjoyable to watch, once you learn there's sometimes 50mph winds and you lock everything down. lol

We got up to almost 70mph during the big rainstorm that flooded the mainland. Had to go around and tighten all the hurricane lags. I didn't even know what hurricane lags were before we got here.

Every day is an adventure, whoo hooo!