Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Crazy man , glad your lovin it ! How long to the nearest McDonald’s lol
24 minutes.

Timmies: 20 mins
Gas: 18 minutes
Liquor: 21 mins.
Weed: 15 mins, 18 mins, 19 mins, 20 mins, 23 mins, 24 mins, 29 mins....(no joke, these people like their weed)
Canadian Tire: 26 mins
LORDCO (such an awesome auto parts shop, blows NAPA out of the water) 25 mins
Ski resort: 20 mins.

There's a million places to eat, for a town of 40K. My area has a population of ~32 for 12,000 sq acres.

It's 25 deg here today, but trees are flying by all over the place. I guess that's one thing about being in a province JAM PACKED with trees...they burn and they fly. A lot.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
That’s dope !!!! From your pics you’d think you were hours awayhaha
We're 20 mins from the nearest town, but it's through a really rough Reserve, then about 2000 feet up. We're at 4000 feet, and then 20 more mins up the road is 8000 feet, if that gives you some idea of the incline. There's just nothing up or around here, so we're pretty isolated. you can't really farm because everything is rock and cliffs, there isn't much mining because it's mostly granite and some other hard rocks, and it's already been logged, that's how the 50 acre plots were created. So really, the only people up here are people that just don't want to be near other people, which is PERFECT. Everyone minds their own fucking business, which I've never experienced before...some of my earliest memories are of neighbours complaining about something I had done, was about to do, probably did, or didn't do but got blamed for anyway. I think I was just not born a city person :)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
We're in deep winter here already. couple of feet of snow everywhere, and I don't think the temps are supposed to go above 0 for the next few months.
thing is, it's like winter when I was a kid.

Boiler went down the other day, and the propane dipped below 10%, and the propane company refused to deliver because my driveway is "far too dangerous". But parts finally arrived, and I plowed the shit out of the driveway and shamed the guy into driving it, so we also have (hopefully) enough propane for the winter. Every day is a challenge here...so it's great that I LIVE for challenges. I swear, I'll never be bored again as long as I'm here.

Just dropping a couple more photos. Everywhere I look it looks like a post card. When it's not windy it's warm enough to wander around in for hours, but the snow doesn't get sloppy. 10/10 for the weather lol. As well, every day is different. One day it's blue sky, the next it's blue sky with clouds floating through the yard. Today was sunny, yesterday was dark with clouds making a canopy about 100 feet above the whole property. At night the stars are insane. Was having a fire the other night and a glowing baseball went floating by. Turns out it was the space station, but it's so bright that it's almost annoying. Oh and I can see uranus from here ;)

So season's greetings from the dirty mountain hillabilly!!

I'm still kicking myself for wasting so many years in the city when I could have been out doing this!!

Attachments

• IMG_20211214_103145_9.jpg
    IMG_20211214_103145_9.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 163
  • IMG_20211214_103247_3.jpg
    IMG_20211214_103247_3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_20211214_103252_0.jpg
    IMG_20211214_103252_0.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 139
  • IMG_20211214_103605_1.jpg
    IMG_20211214_103605_1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20211214_103702_3.jpg
    IMG_20211214_103702_3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20211214_103705_3.jpg
    IMG_20211214_103705_3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20211214_103902_3.jpg
    IMG_20211214_103902_3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20211214_104146_8.jpg
    IMG_20211214_104146_8.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20211213_105458_8.jpg
    IMG_20211213_105458_8.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 140

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Well something came out of the woods 2 nights ago.
Tracked it this morning. Came out of the woods where the buggy is, then ran full tilt for over a kilometer, cutting straight down 7 switchbacks, then took off into the woods before following the barbed wire, straight out to the road. The second pic is where it left the driveway (where the buggy is). The dogs were going nuts following the tracks, never seen them like that before. It didn't look confused, and once it realized the fence was there, it cut straight back to the main road, never seen an animal do that.

Last pic is a shot of one of the prints. Has claw marks in it. Most tracks looked like footprints, then every so often they would look like this, there's 2 prints there, a squarish one, then a 2 knuckle one.
My working theories are:

1) weirdo cranked up on speed, lost in the woods looking for the road.
2) Someone running from cops, although there is literally nothing in the woods the direction it/he came in, for 126 kilometers.
3) A very tall creature, that wasn't running, it just looked that way because of the stride length.
4) Deer hauling ass from something, kept perfect pace so that it looked like a bipedal critter.
5) wandering granny with a claw foot cane. They warned me about wandering grannies, they're old hippies that smoked too much of the happy weed and think they're looking for mecca or something.

Attachments

• IMG_20211221_095326_9.jpg
    IMG_20211221_095326_9.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20211221_094606_2.jpg
    IMG_20211221_094606_2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20211221_094337_1.jpg
    IMG_20211221_094337_1.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 151

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
No lie, took 2 days to plow out the driveway.
Talking to my neighbour (finally met him), and he says there hasn't been snow like this since the 1950s, before he was born.
-32 deg + windchill around christmas, that chewed through almost a full cord of wood in about 3 days. I'm set to run out of wood in about a month, which is crazy considering I'm surrounded by burnt trees that have to come down...hundreds of them. BUT, too hard to get to through the snow. Next summer is going to be busy, there's so many things that need to be prepared for next winter, this one caught me off guard, and I grew up with winters like this.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Just another update...again for those interested.

It's been 7 months to the day since I set foot in the new home. Quite literally it feels like 7 days.

Still, 100000% no regrets. The more people we meet, the more we love it. We found a place that sells beef by % of cow, we picked up 1/4 cow for around $700. We spent almost that much on taking the family to a steak house back in London. We use the Traeger almost daily, makes meat taste SO good.

So winter was rough, but awesome. There's still snow on the mountains about 100 feet above us, on the leeward side of the peaks. The ski resort up the road still looks like mid winter. It's been a really late spring.
Bears have started popping up. A mama and her cubs ransacked our compost last night, so no more compost for us.
I am just getting delivered a house generator, the thought being that "just maybe" I could have a freezer and a salt tank, but the reality is the salt tank is a HUGE time sink. You all know what I mean, and free time simply isn't something I have any of. I'm still harvesting wood and running the outdoor boiler, as we get down to -1 some nights still. I had a guy cut about a mile of "road" into the mountain, after a couple of legitimately near misses in the kubota sidekick. This video may give a quick idea of where I'm currently working to clear trees that burned in the last fire that came up to the house (8 years ago).
(nothing really interesting there...again, just no time to make interesting content yet...working on it).
We had to turn in the wife's car because it simply can't make it up the driveway. You MUST have 4L or forget it, so her car sat under a pile of snow, and she drove my truck, which simply isn't acceptable (she's messy). So we're picking up a Bronco "sasquatch" truck for her. Should be able to make it up that silly ole driveway.
Added to the minions by picking up a new puppy... a shepherd husky rottweiler mix. I needed something with a bit more attitude than the 2 GSDs I have, since I trained them for city living. The new pup is a real handful. Too much husky in there. Very defiant, but smart as a whip. I think he'll work out perfectly. At the moment the big concern is eagles...they scoop up small goats and chickens from the neighbour, and the dog is smaller than his goats. We get some DAMN big eagles here. I wasn't even really aware of it until a grouse ran into the garage with me. Then I heard the eagle screech and swoop by the house. Holy hancock is that quite the sound to experience. Grouse hung out with me for the rest of the day. I tell you, it's just a whole different world out here.
Going to attach some pics. The buggy is wired for lights and sound, I run the perimeter at night to scare off bobcats and bears. Crazy whips light up the whole top of the mountain, probably seen from space on a dark night.

The funny thing about it has been the change in mentality. Things that seemed like life changing problems back home are just nonexistent. I know some of the people on the forum live in rural areas, so they know probably what I mean, but I NEVER should have lived in a city. I was miserable and had no idea. I fired off about 700 rounds of various ammo the other day, and the neighbour didn't even mention it when we chatted the day after. My wife's father is literally landing right now, he's leaving london and moving out here too, there's nobody left for him back home, and there's a town nearby that's a retirement/golf haven, perfect for him. Not TOO close, as he and I have very different political opinions, and he's one of those guys that likes to repeat whatever he heard on cnn last night...and I could care LESS what is happening in the johnny depp trial lol.

Oh, and EVERYONE here is high. I don't think it's even illegal here to puff and drive, they have advertisements where they strongly suggest that you don't do it, but nobody ever gets charged. They are hard on the drinking and driving, but weed.... Even the guys that come out here to train for iron man marathons are all at the 'smoke' shop for snacks and edibles. I asked some of them, and they said it makes 10 hour bike runs more enjoyable lolol. Again, just another world out here. I don't even recall the last time I saw a cop. They're here, but since I live on the far side of a big reservation, and the road to my place is private, they simply don't come out here.

That's about it. Unfortunately no pics of sweet sps. Just droning drivel from an ex irritable old fart :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 96
  • fred5.jpg
    fred5.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 70
  • fred7.jpg
    fred7.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 65
  • Rocco.jpg
    Rocco.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20220407_153954_6.jpg
    IMG_20220407_153954_6.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 92
  • bear 1.jpg
    bear 1.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 67
  • river.jpg
    river.jpg
    483.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20220508_170527_2.jpg
    IMG_20220508_170527_2.jpg
    502.2 KB · Views: 91

Luke.

Distinguished Member
Nice vid man , did you find sams dirty cave ? Starting to get some practice shots in for him I see !