My 90 Gallon Pile of Rocks

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Re: My 90G Pile of Rocks

teebone110 link said:
[quote author=reeffreak link=topic=628.msg66255#msg66255 date=1383186567]
Hey tee what do you mean by floating bottom ?

Regular tanks use a capped method where all side panels sit on perimeter of of bottom glass

Floating bottom is when the bottom glass is recessed inside and even with all 4 vertical panels

Kinda of hard to explain, but looks cool and unique

[/quote]

Jewel

Ok I see, most tanks use the bottom panel for support thus it is usually a bit stronger than the rest of the panels. But if it works then no biggie, Getting a tank made over seas and shipping it here used to be more expensive. Why not now?

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate

Jewel link said:
Ok I see, most tanks use the bottom panel for support thus it is usually a bit stronger than the rest of the panels. But if it works then no biggie, Getting a tank made over seas and shipping it here used to be more expensive. Why not now?

child slave labor in China is my best guess

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

Thanks for all the comments and feedback guys, I can't wait to get going on things.

curiousphil link said:
Sounds like a sweet tank!  Full C2C overflow or just a box?  Gonna drop it where you have the 90 right now or a new location?

I chose to go with an 18 x 4 internal overflow, centred along the back wall of the tank. I was considering going with the ghost overflow, but I didn't want any bulkheads sticking out the back of the tank, due to lack of access in case of leaks, salt creep, etc. I am relocating the new tank to a different location, but still don't have enough space for an external box which would  add another 4-5 inches to the total width. I would prefer the space inside the tank instead, hence the 26 width.

Here is an example of Reef Savvy's Internal Ghost/Hybrid Overflow. Its smoked glass with a removable acrylic top. I am hoping to go all black acrylic. I've been speaking with Synergy Reef, from Tennessee, as he does all the acrylic work for Reef Savvy and he can make something very similar.  Aquatic Kingdom works with Acrylic Solutions so I might have them do it instead.

530329_431241103597477_146624913_n.jpg

6980_431241193597468_2003362262_n.jpg

73255_431241203597467_117856378_n.jpg

73031_431241186930802_252177983_n.jpg

Reef Savvy, can squeeze 4 holes and plumbing into a box sized 16" x 3.5" Very slick, and they say it can handle flow of up to 2500 GPH.

To drill 4 holes in such a small area can be risky, hence the 3/4 inch glass I am going with to keep things on the "safer" side of things.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

Duke link said:
sweet. sounds like its going to be a build to watch, can u tell us what your plans are going to be for all of this? are you just doing the basic transfer to get started or do you plan to start over? any plans of NOT transfering some stuff, IE the blue cloves, palys etc etc.

Good question… While I really do like the looks of blue cloves and softies, shrooms, palys, rics, etc. I am going to keep the new system restricted to select SPS and a few LPS choice pieces along with some other fish that couldn't be kept in my current tank.

I have some nice plate rock and need to still get more pieces of Marco Rock to build a few structures. I have been thinking about a minimal amount of rock work that spreads very wide at the base to maximize SPS placement and minimize shading as much as possible. I also will be drilling holes and placing all frags/mini colonies on its own customized plug so I can easily remove, frag, or change the location if needed.

Jewel

Sounds like the new tank is a long term project which is nice to hear, Moving from one tank to another and having every thing survive isn't a small under taking. You gotta have a plan.

jroovers

Super Active Member

teebone110 link said:
I have some nice plate rock and need to still get more pieces of Marco Rock to build a few structures. I have been thinking about a minimal amount of rock work that spreads very wide at the base to maximize SPS placement and minimize shading as much as possible. I also will be drilling holes and placing all frags/mini colonies on its own customized plug so I can easily remove, frag, or change the location if needed.

If I had to do it over, you couldn't have summarized it any better IMO. 

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

jroovers link said:
[quote author=teebone110 link=topic=628.msg67871#msg67871 date=1384317107]

If I had to do it over, you couldn't have summarized it any better IMO. 
[/quote]

Got the idea from a very wise local reefer
;)

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

Actually, thinking that I am definitely going to need one of these ;)

p-90169-Red-Tail-Trigger.jpg

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+44+1433&pcatid=1433

..and of course, one of these…

p-73668-achilles-tang.jpg

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+43+325&pcatid=325

..oh yes, and these too... :D

p-80228-Golden-Rhomboidali.jpg

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1378+1859&pcatid=1859

..and can't forget about these either…. ;)

lg-36862-bellus-angel.jpg

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+18+2923&pcatid=2923

Poseidon

Distinguished Member

ive always wanted an achillies, maybe one day,
that trigger supposed to be reef safe?
link says no...

spyd

Super Active Member

Nice selection! That is a sweet Wrasse!!! (I said Wrasse, Not...)

Sargassums are Reef Safe as long as you don't have any shrimp in your tank. They will make a meal out of them. Completely fine with corals though. They like to re-arrange the odd piece if it is not glued down but they don't nip at them.

I would love an Achilles. I have the flow for one as well, but, too many fish all ready so it is off the list for now.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate

pulpfiction1 link said:
i dont think any trigger is totally reef safe IMO,always just a matter of when they will chew away

Just need a shock collar and your fine.