My First Build ever...and need some direction

Marz

Kink away!! That's why I am here. Thanks Jewel. The rock is obviously part of the filtration process. That's alotta rock. I was planning on getting DR reef rock from a LFS. I will post something in the looking for section as well to see what I can get.

Glad you jumped in with the RO and Vinegar, was just about to start cleaning. Vacuum first then, wash.

Any other opinions about my list before I trip and make a mistake?

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
heres some good reading from over at reef central. its a thread dedicated to innovative marine tanks. you can get alot of good ideas from it.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2221566

Marz

Duke, I joined that forum a day or so ago and didn't find that thread! Thanks very much. Just posted to get some pictures and ideas for filtration. Very much appreciated!

Jewel

If you're gonna go with DR, you can use 30 pounds, Once it's saturated with water it'll be heavier, try and get some unique pieces, take them and stack them at the store, try and get an idea what you want. I'll send you an old pick of my rock and there's 100 pounds pictured.

Marz

All the cubby holes, arch, looks like a cave to the left and a shelf on the right. I like how there are plenty of areas for fish and corals.
I hadn't thought of dry weight vs. saturated. Makes the pockets feel a little better :) Hard to believe that's 100 pounds, but then again I have no reference pt for the tank size.

Jewel

The tank is 70 GL, 40x20x20, the tall section you see is 2 rocks, one pegged on top of the other and is 60 pounds in it's self.

Marz

I have watched some videos on pegging. Do you typically peg the bottom of the rocks so they are on stilts? I would never have guessed that it was 2 rocks.

Jewel

You can do that, that is so they are stable,If you want to join two together or an Arch that just won't sit right. Just drill a hole in each and put an acrylic rod in between them and it's together. I have a few that are pegged together.  I'd say try a be creative, Put it together out of tank and then drop it in. 

Marz

Yes I saw that. I believe that was the pukani rock. Really porus! See every time I think I know what I am getting, understand the cost....BAM...another great idea :)

Jewel

If you're concerned with the costs of everything then this may not be the hobby for you. The tank is the cheapest part of the hobby. This is why you gotta take your time and be patient. There's no hurry cause once everything is done and paid for and you fill up that tank. Then you'll want a bigger one.

By the way, You're in Orangeville, wheres the LFS?

Marz

So what you are saying is "buck up"and lose the calculator :) local is anywhere within an hour...I am just outside of Orangeville actually. In reality LFS could be all the way to Cambridge or Newmarket, Brampton and anywhere near Vaughan. I am heading to Burlington tomorrow to see about an ATO...so have car and do travel. Tank and stand were picked up in Cambridge, skimmer was ordered online, and the DR may be ordered also, but I am in London this weekend so will probably stop and look at some DR there.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
Jewel link said:
If you're concerned with the costs of everything then this may not be the hobby for you.

I don't think that's appropriate.  There are always alternative ways to save a few bucks.  Just need to know where and when.  If this were true most of us would not be here. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jewel

I made a comment on here about a local store, The store was in Burlington and I live in Woodstock, So I agree any where my truck takes me is local. LOL No i'm sorry for saying that, You should be conscious of the money, We all are.  I'm looking forward to your build thread. Keep us posted and we love pictures. And have fun with it.

Jewel

Hey Marz, I'm sorry, really I didn't intend to put you on the defensive. You see we've got guys who are always ready to straighten us up. My bad, I hope to see you at the Frag Fest in April, by then you'll be ready for some very special Corals. Take care      Jim

Marz

I have another couple of questions. I live in a rural community and am on well water. Can I use this to do a leak test, or will I have to use the RO water? It is just going to sit for awhile and then the tank will be emptied, cleaned with RO and vinegar, and then I will being my tank build.
Also, from another forum that has a rimless section, the members talk about having something under the tank such as styrofoam or even the carpet underlayment (checked pattern not full sheet type). Should I consider this?

Thanks yet again.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
As for the styrofoam.  Does your tank have bottom trim?  If it does I wouldn't bother with the foam.  If it doesn't than I would. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk