My First Build ever...and need some direction

Marz

Not sure if I can add to this thread as my "build thread", but seems to be the logical place.

I thought I would post some pictures of the tank and stand. As you will see I have done NOTHING other than get it setup.
One question I do have. The stand has "feet" and my floor doesn't appear to be level. Can I just shim the feet or is there a better way?

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Man that looks nice, keep in mind if you aren't planning a sps dominant tank and only a fish only for now you will be fine with just ro water to start, dry rock is a good idea, the heater should go in the back part, personally I would skip the fish qt.. While it is the "best practice"  with a small tank like yours I wouldn't worry.. Just pick out healthy fish that are eating from a reputable Lfs. Don't worry about waiting a year for corals, once it's cycled if u just give it a few weeks with only fish any soft corals will do just great in your tank, like mushrooms and leathers. Shim the stand like u said too

Lastly.. No matter what u buy..  "it was only 10$" is what u say.. After a while they stop asking.. Lol

Jewel

That is a nice tank, Read up on Refugeum. You'll need a light but those compartments could be used as a Fuge.  They don't stop asking Not mine anyway, Just tell her you got it in a trade. LOL

Marz

Best advice EVER! Note to self: "got it in a trade" and/or "it was only $10 bux". Just to be safe, I am not telling her about this forum  >:D

Marz

Ok, so that I am clear. I can use RO water for now to get the tank cleaned and cycled?

Apparently IM has a fuge light that can be used by pealing off the back corner (near the compartment) white backing. I am thinking that this is the way to go as I like the natural approach. Most tanks (like this one) that have been setup use a skimmer and reactor in one corner compartment, then a fuge in the other - this would replace any of the sponges which I definitely would like to get away from.

I will read up more on a fuge as I haven't done any digging on this.

It's been a great weekend, I have been able to research, watch Canada win hockey, and get some great advice!

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Imo, yes ro is fine as long as the system is kept up and running as it should (which since your drinking it I would assume it is)

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
instead of getting another dedicated RODI system, you can just pick up the DI stage on its own and Tee it off your current setup at some point down the road.

Heres a link to what i mean

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/single-deionization-canister.html

a protein skimmer would be my first upgrade if it was me. theres a whole line of accessories for the nuvo setups, skimmer, media reactors, refugium lights, ATO.

http://www.innovative-marine.com/auqa-gadget/index.html

Marz

I have spent a bit of time reviewing their gadget lineup. I have the protein skimmer coming, was thinking of the refugeum and ATO...but that stuff adds up. I have to figure out what I add next. For me the ATO is a must as the sump has slots that the water level has to be above. I like the IM one as it has 2 sensors with their hydrofill system.

Marz

Ok, these surely have to be dumb questions (just so anyone reading this understands I do add the answers to my list/log). When using an ATO, how do you maintain the SW parameters with freshwater being added?  Also, will a FW tester work for PH, Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
Happy Family day!

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
just water in your ATO container, as the water in your tank evaporates the salinity goes up (the salt never leaves the water) so the ATO keeps the salinity equal by replacing the evaporated water from your display tank with RODI water.
fresh water tests are probably different. they may work but probably not accurately.

spyd

Super Active Member
Tank looks great. Glad you have went for the skimmer as that is a necessity IMO. The ATO is a must as well. It gets very annoying manually topping off water and your skimmer wont function as well as it should without a consistent water level.

The lighting should be fine for now. You can all ways upgrade down the road depending on what type of corals you get into.

I would suggest buying that canister from BRS and install with a valve on your current RO unit. RO/DI is the best route to keeping your tank algae free. Removing the sponges is a must IMO as they quickly become nitrate traps unless you constantly clean them off. How much dry rock are you thinking of adding out of curiosity? Also, do they sell reactors at all for carbon and GFO? If not, I would run both in media bags in the back of the tank.

Marz

I think that I will move this over to "member tank build", as I am a big proponent of documenting things that I do (reno's, home projects, cottage repairs and water setups. However, until I get the things that I need, I will keep asking questions in this section.

The reactors that IM sells can run carbon and GFO, but based on the price, I will probably use bags first, but I have to find the IM custom caddy's (http://innovative-marine.com/auqa-gadget/custom-caddy.html) locally. In terms of DR, I am not looking for a huge amount. I think I am going to do a mini Island in the tank with maybe a little custom "chipping" to build a couple of small caves. I know the rule is a pound per gallon, but I was hoping to do less as this will be my first time doing this.

I like to jot things down, research, recheck, then look for links online so I can read up on them. Everyone here has been MUCHO helpful and made this alot easier than I had thought it would be. This in no way means that I am confident, but slowly starting to "get it."

Here's what I have so far: (not sure if you can add links, but I will go back to the forum rules, check then update).

DT - have
Nuvo Mini 30 and stand
Skkye 18" 20 Watt light
AuqaGadget Nuvo SkimMate Nano Protein Skimmer - MidSize 65G
Koralia 425 wave maker

DT - to get
ATO (more than likely the IM one, unless someone has a better thought)
Cobalt 150w heater (low profile and will fit in back chamber)
DR
Sand
Salt
Dr. Tim's additive (for cycle)
Refractometer
SW test kit (not going to trust my FW kits)
Timer power bar for the lights (day, night, sunrise)

For water mixing
Have

2 old air pumps - Hagen 801 and 8012
Eheim 100 Watt water heater

To Get
20G tank (might look at plastic bin initially)
DI cannister for my RO - but for now will use RO

So I think that covers it off. Today is about cleaning out debris from tank and washing it.

Jewel

Not to put a kink in your plans but as rule of thumb it's one and a half to two pounds per gallon, more is better. one per is minimal, Rock is pretty cheap, careful what you wash your tank with, You don't want to use any chemicals, RO water and Vinegar is sufficient. Be selective with your rock, you'll have it awhile and you want to create an aquascape that's stable and eye appealing.

Jewel

I'm sorry, nothing is cheap in this hobby. It all adds up but you've got a relatively small system, The average size tank is 90 Gallons. I'd try and get 50 lbs of rock. And ask on here. We have a looking for section. Save a few bucks. But be selective, No base Rock, that's good for sumps. Make it a piece of art. You can glue pieces to gether or put Acrylic Rods through them, Rock can be drilled, Take your time at this point and one other thing try not to place your rock against your glass. You want to have great circulation.