My First Build ever...and need some direction

spyd

Super Active Member
The PVC base will be fine. I just suggest capping the ends so you don't get crap stuck within the pipe itself. Do not drill holes in the pipe. All it will do is collect dietritus and you don't want that. The only thing that can really happen is sand being blown away in those areas and you end up seeing the pipe which will be an eye sore. If you could get away with 1/2" pipe or even 3/4" then it would reduce the chances of that as well.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
or u could try egg crate ;-) , personally i used nothing, i added sand then rock and justa just molded it into the sand until it was touching the bottom and felt sturdy.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I used egg crate for the bottom of the tank .  I have done tr acrylic rod thing before and it works awesome.  Can make some pretty sweet structures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marz

Thanks for all the feedback. Will be setting up the tank over the weekend. I am getting pretty excited.

On a separate note, any suggestions on a pump that I could use that I can submerge in my brute container to push water up to the tank for water changes and then use it non-submersed to remove water for changes?

Jewel

When I do a water change, I siphon the water out into a bin that has a mark on it for 15 GL. When I return the water, I pump it to the tank with a Mag 3 from a 30 GL tank in another room.

Jewel

Everything takes time, For me I wanna make it as easy as can be, no buckets of water being poured into the tank. Some guys have a tank of water in their Sump room designated just for water changes and it's just a matter of opening valves to replace the water. For your 30 gl which is more like 20 of actual water, You could do a 5 gl water change weekly.

Jewel

I know a guy who has his sump set up so that it is always draining water from his tank and replenishing with new salt water, it works out to be 2 GL of water every day, It's a big tank, I think 200 but he never does a big water change.

MrHermit85

I was thinking of getting a long enough pipe to reach my water room and just pumpin it straight from my saltwater drums with a remote controlled receptacle to switch the pump off when the DT is full. If that makes sense?

Jewel

I'd like to do that as well, but what I settled for was a 3/8 tubing attaches with John guest fittings and fed from a Mag 3 to 1/2 pipe to the 3/8 john guest. The Tubing is quite flexible so it doesn't take much to set it up but a line directly to the tank is nice and I could do it but it would have to run through a couple of walls and under the bath tub, well not under but on the inside wall of the tub, but it could be done.

Marz

Makes sense to me. Right now I don't have a "water room" and just starting out. Since the basement is all mine, I will eventually have the space to do that.....but taking it slow :)

Jewel

You have the bug now, better get planning that system in the basement. The Ultimate Man Cave, just like Benzz. Oh I could give you some ideas. LoL This tank will be your learning curve and then the skies the limit.

Marz

So in terms of the bug, I have to admit it...I have always been bitten with aquariums (FW) but SW and reading and seeing all of your tanks has made it impossible to not want to do it right. I walk around the house looking at walls that I can convert...lmao! The good thing is that I have found a place here that will feed the "addiction" ;) so hopefully this tank will assist me as it is a deep learning curve.

Jewel

Not that deep, the advances in the hobby has made it a lot easier for the average person to excel in the hobby, From Protien Skimmers to LED lights, Bio-Pellet Reactors and excellent water purification units. It can be costly, That's true. But more and more people are doing it right the first time around. Buy what works once, You have a nice smaller system and you'll want to upgrade one day. It's inevitable. So make good choices and you will be successful.

Jewel

D I have spent thousands on this hobby and I didn't always make the right choices. I've had at least 15 systems, all different sizes from an 8 gl to 220. From MH TO LED AND t-5s, And had just about every Vertex skimmers. And I like to spend money. When I was working making big money I could do that. But not now. Last year I had a bit of a windfall And I made some very good purchases. The best RO/DI unit, Also MP40s The first new skimmer. Battery Back up. The wife had to have new furniture LOL so a bit of a trade off. I know the perfect recipe for success in this hobby. So I like to share it with those that want to learn and are nice about it.

Jewel

it makes a difference when your better half enjoys it, mine loves to see me tinkering with the tank, then she knows i'm happy.