My Seahorse Cube And Babies

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
So what makes your seahorses dark in color?

The seahorses we got from you ended up turning a light tan over time. I am guessing its diet... We are feeding them frozen mysis.

Should you supplement their food with something else?

they will change according to the light intensity and colour of their surroundings for the most part but they do tend to darken most in brighter light. They can change their pattern as well from more striped to spotted.

They do some really weird patterning during courtship as well. Ive seen my female go almost completely white and my male with a black tail and black along his back with a white belly and head. The babies after lights have been off for the night and turn back on are completely clear for the first few moments.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Looking great Steve! Very full little bellies.

To answer the question about feeding something else that Canada Corals asked - No you don't need to feed anything else. Frozen Mysis is the "Go to" food for Captive seahorses. Sometimes they like a treat of live ghost shrimp but there isn't much nutritional value in them. I tried it once with my seahorses and they turned their noses up at them and wouldn't eat them.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
well i just had to post a pic of this beauty. my male seahorse now has cirri that are a half inch long with a fork at the tip along his back and 1/4" cirri on his head. fyi ones with cirri are almost twice as valuable as seahorses in captivity with cirri are very rare. hope yall enjoy.
20160325_173739.jpg 20160325_173734.jpg

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
so is cirri not common on captive bred seahorses, I thought that when they matured they all go it.. just a newbie asking...

most raised in home aquaria dont keep their cirri. they dont know what causes them to have or lose them since some people have both and housed in the same system. it may be a dominance thing but who knows since for the most part they are monogamous. My biggest male has large cirri my female just has tiny stubs and my other male never formed them but he kicked the bucket randomly one day. All were in the same tank for years. The ones with very big cirri are hard to find and more expensive normally.