My Seahorse Cube And Babies

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Congrats Steve on raising your first seahorse babies.
smiley-happy0961_zpsdf9ac12b.gif
It is so exciting!
smiley-face-bouncing-004_zpsrezrycnx.gif

yes it is.... pretty soon they will be all over the country lol

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
Man this is awsome :) my kids want one for a tank would one do will in a 5 gal tank ?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

no. Unfortunately a 5 gal would be way too small. fully grown adults get around 6 inches long and need quite a bit of free swimming room to stay healthy and happy. If you only wanted one then you may get away with a 15 gal and a very overkill skimmer but would be a wc nightmare and not really ideal for them anyway. Its always recommended to have a 30 gal for the first pair and 15 gal extra per additional pair. They are very social tho so getting just one isnt the best idea.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
no. Unfortunately a 5 gal would be way too small. fully grown adults get around 6 inches long and need quite a bit of free swimming room to stay healthy and happy. If you only wanted one then you may get away with a 15 gal and a very overkill skimmer but would be a wc nightmare and not really ideal for them anyway. Its always recommended to have a 30 gal for the first pair and 15 gal extra per additional pair. They are very social tho so getting just one isnt the best idea.

Glad we are both on the same page, thanks. I was asked the same question this morning and answered almost word for word the same thing. :)

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
updates coming soon. unfortunately one of my adult males has died i have no reasoning for this but the past month i have been staying at my parents taking care of my dad so the wife has had to take care of them for me. still have 14 babies left but all are scheduled to go to a couple pet stores soon.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
So sad to hear one of the males died Steve. :( Glad you were able to find sales for your babies. :)

my assumption so far is the one male became territorial..... i did notice him going after food the other was attempting to eat... maybe he stressed him out too much chasing him away from the female. im gonna keep a couple of my babies anyway.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
will this not weaken the stock? any issues with interbreeding sea horses and how would you possible find fresh stock?

I would try a dwarf but your are too big

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
ive been banned. I have never been to the site before.

I dont blame them tho

hmmmm thats weird.... link works for me im not on the site either but there is a few good reads i use.... i mostly use seahorses.org

essentially it says only brother sister pairing is an issue but since h.erectus is a mix of two different seahorses you could inbreed for 3 generations before problems start but becausei mix the generations up you can actually create a stronger genetic line by allowing the week to die and only breeding the strong. The further the generation gap the stronger the gene line becomes.... theres alot more detail about it in the link so hopefully you can get it working. It impressed the hell out of me the first time i read it.