Need Help With Apex

TheGreenStag

Hi Guys
So i have had my Apex for years without any issues. Last night i had a power outage. When i checked this morning the outlet where the controller is plucked had a tripped breaker which i turned it on. Everything started working as per my schedule, however when i tried to connect to my Apex i get the error message saying "Cannot Connect to Apex". The diagnosis says to update the firmware (i run my apex currently on 4.40 version) and check internet connection.

A little info:
My apex runs on a static IP.
The status light on the controller is solid green.
My apex is hard wired connected to my router.
The Ethernet port on controller is green and orange light.
My EB8 shows green status light as well.
I do not have display module (it stopped working long ago) on my apex as i have always used fusion.

Trouble shoot i did:
> Restarted Router
> Restarted Controller

Here are my questions:
> How can i connect to my Apex at home and away network?
> Without display module how will I know what is my Apex's current IP address
> Without display module how will i be able to update firmware?

Thanks guys and apologies about the long post i wanted to share as much info as possible so i can get this resolved soon. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh

My media server runs on a static IP as well and sometimes after power changes my router will change the ip's. IE. for me it goes 192.168.1.10 sometimes when i reset my router (or power failure) it changes the ip to 192.168.0.10 and nothing will connect. Might be worth a check

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Easiest way to connect to your Apex is with Fusion both home and away.

If you are not set up on Fusion, then You can access the Apex on your home network by going to apex.com or the internal IP. That though is the old network pages. You can only access that away from home if you have the Apex on a static IP and your isp service has you on a static IP or you set up a DNS. Most of us just use Fusion

Open up a command prompt on your computer. Type ipconfig then hit enter, that should give you a list of all network devices. If you unplug the Apex first and then do ipconfig, write the list, then plug in the Apex, wait a few moments and do ipconfig again. The new IP in the list will be your apex.

Firmware can be updated through Fusion sometimes. It can also be updated from your PC. Just follow the update instructions from r he Neptune apex update website.

I will add links when I get home

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
So I mixed up some of my Linux programming with windows. Open a command prompt and type 'arp -a -v' (without the ') and hit enter, that will list all the IP's on the network. You want to record all the numbers that start with 192. Then plug in the apex and do it again and find the missing one.

After you have found the IP you are on, then go to the Firmware update page HERE. You can update your Apex from a computer that is wired to the network.

TheGreenStag

Wow Torx thank you so much I will do this trouble shooting very soon. Yes I have been on fusion.

TheGreenStag

Ok my router page shows my IP address but when I used it to go on the home network it does not open the webpage. I tried pinging the IP address of my apex (shown on router page) and I get the error my router cannot detect the apex ip address...I will go and use the above method and update you guys shortly...
Thanks Josh and Torx will update shortly

TheGreenStag

Ok my router page shows my IP address but when I used it to go on the home network it does not open the webpage. I tried pinging the IP address of my apex (shown on router page) and I get the error my router cannot detect the apex ip address...I will go and use the above method and update you guys shortly...
Thanks Josh and Torx will update shortly

TheGreenStag

@Torz the command prompt does not recognize arp-a-v command. It says it is not recognized as internal or external command

TheGreenStag

When I hit ipconfig it shows
Media State....Media disconnected
And than it show router's up address and default gateway

TheGreenStag

Ok just realized I wasn't entering space before entering -
I did once after disconnecting and once after connection Apex and there were no changes in the ip addresses shown

TheGreenStag

I spoke to Neptune today and they want me to enter a fixed ip on my laptop and in the Apex to try and see if the laptop recognizes the Apex. My issue is I do not have the display module as it doesn't light up anymore so how can I access Apex to enter the fixed ip

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Sounds like there is something else going on then maybe. I would try another ethernet cable maybe. There is also a way to connect to and update directly from a computer to the Apex. The instructions are HERE on how to Connect PC/Mac directly to controller to update firmware. Maybe after the update is done, you will be able to connect again. The version you are on is very old now.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Just remembered that you do not have a display. This is getting difficult. You may want to sign up at their forum HERE and post there. This is getting beyond me and unless someone else can pipe in???

TheGreenStag

Just remembered that you do not have a display. This is getting difficult. You may want to sign up at their forum HERE and post there. This is getting beyond me and unless someone else can pipe in???

I have done this and posted there too haven't seen any response since yesterday. I have a live support session scheduled with Neptune on Tuesday hoping to resolve it if not I have to buy a new display module

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Have you tried connecting to http://apex/nstatus.sht

That link works for me to log in. Does it work for you @TheGreenStag?

Did you try the direct connection from computer/laptop to the Apex? HERE is the walk through for direct connection.

You could also try forcing the update on the network. Be sure to be hard wired from the computer to the router and the apex to the router.

-Power OFF your controller brain completely including disconnecting any secondary power
-Start the firmware update
-Wait for the loader to 'timeout' once or twice
-Power up your controller
-This may take a couple of tries, just repeat the process starting with powering OFF the controller