Need Help With Apex

TheGreenStag

Thanks guys tht link doesn't work for me...For now I am waiting on Neptune to get back to me on Tuesday. I am a bit disappointed the way how Neptune has handled my case. From day 1 I told them my display module doesn't work yet they kept on saying to enter the fixed IP using display module for a company that charges premium money for their products should have live support on hand available 24/7 as their products are being used globally.. I think it's best to wait till Tuesday and see how it goes...I do appreciate your help I must say I tried posting this issue in Neptune forum, GTAA forum and here and the most support I have received is from Thefragtank forum...thanks guys really appreciate it i will keep u posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Good luck. I hope you are able to get things going. Let us know the results none the less incase the issue ever comes up again. Most of the online support just uses canned responses. Aka, prewritten responses, they just open the email and click what response to send. I try and force them to actually reply with a written message. Yes, i have had issues with many parts of my Apex over the years, but they have managed to resolve them in a way that I am satisfied. Not always perfect, but i am over all a happy Apex owner.

The only thing I would really like to see them get is a Canadian support team. Shipping returns and such to the states is just a pain. They do not, and will not, much like all other large companies do not. Canada is not large enough of a market for them to justify the expense. That is a whole other thread discussion though.

TheGreenStag

Good luck. I hope you are able to get things going. Let us know the results none the less incase the issue ever comes up again. Most of the online support just uses canned responses. Aka, prewritten responses, they just open the email and click what response to send. I try and force them to actually reply with a written message. Yes, i have had issues with many parts of my Apex over the years, but they have managed to resolve them in a way that I am satisfied. Not always perfect, but i am over all a happy Apex owner.

The only thing I would really like to see them get is a Canadian support team. Shipping returns and such to the states is just a pain. They do not, and will not, much like all other large companies do not. Canada is not large enough of a market for them to justify the expense. That is a whole other thread discussion though.

I agree I am happy with them too but to send everything to US is just crazy but I guess they want to centralise their control. I will surely update how it goes on Tuesday

TheGreenStag

Ok all so to update everyone it was a very small issue. The problem was the TP Link adapter that acts as an extender from my Bell router to my controller. I restarted it and everything is back on. Now here is my question I want to update the firmware however I don't know how to take back up of my existing configurations? Can any used some information?

Kman

Super Active Member
I get this error when I get a power issue. What I do is set the Apex to DHCP and unplug the apex base unit. Wait a few min and plug back in. Set it back to Static IP and unplug the base unit again. Once it comes back up it will connect to the apex. Sometimes it takes a few times doing this or if you have a switch you will have to unplug this as well and plug back in.

TheGreenStag

Thanks Kman...my next question would be to avoid future scenarios like these with so many UPS to choose from which one would be best for our aquarium use. i get around 4.5amps TOTAL out of my EB8 ????

I get this error when I get a power issue. What I do is set the Apex to DHCP and unplug the apex base unit. Wait a few min and plug back in. Set it back to Static IP and unplug the base unit again. Once it comes back up it will connect to the apex. Sometimes it takes a few times doing this or if you have a switch you will have to unplug this as well and plug back in.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
Wait, Apex doesn't have like a small battery backup that would save your settings?

They can't write the current settings to a file that will load into the bios on startup?

Every $10 alarm clock has the ability to run on a battery when the power goes out. I would think they would have a rechargeable battery for the system that recharges when you have power then activates when the power goes out. It doesn't have to run much.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Wait, Apex doesn't have like a small battery backup that would save your settings?

They can't write the current settings to a file that will load into the bios on startup?

Every $10 alarm clock has the ability to run on a battery when the power goes out. I would think they would have a rechargeable battery for the system that recharges when you have power then activates when the power goes out. It doesn't have to run much.
Yes, apex saves your settings. This is a different issue

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

TheGreenStag

no i dont think eb8 has any battery back up which can be utilized for some hours untill power is back on. It would be a good idea to incorporate something like this in the unit itself to keep the unit running...The settings/programming are not changed because of the power outage they remain as is.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Most people use a ups to power the apex brain via a 12v power plug that plugs into the brain. They also plug in their router/modem. That way they can receive notifications that the power is out. Basically when the power goes out the apex sees that the eb8 has no power and sends you your notification. You would be looking at a generator for back up power of the eb8.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Just had my display module knocked out last thurs or so. Couldn't connect, etc, couldn't do a global reset. Had to reboot the router (and switch), but display never came back. I have to schedule a conference with neptune, but seems like a bit of a coincidence. (I have both a "whole house" surge protector and the system is running through an industrial UPS so there should not have been any kind of surge)

TheGreenStag

Just had my display module knocked out last thurs or so. Couldn't connect, etc, couldn't do a global reset. Had to reboot the router (and switch), but display never came back. I have to schedule a conference with neptune, but seems like a bit of a coincidence. (I have both a "whole house" surge protector and the system is running through an industrial UPS so there should not have been any kind of surge)

Sorry to hear that Salty. I cancelled my service call as my issue is fixed however for my display they asked me to update the firmware on it...I will do that tonite and see how it goes. Maybe you might have to do the same thing...

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I did update the firmware, on the unit and the display, still konked out. I want to ask them what's up with the shipping charge to canada ($500 flat fee) for replacing the head unit or the display (!)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I can connect via ip address, so I can control remotely, but display unit is def kaput. So I have functionality, just not easy up front controls.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
I did update the firmware, on the unit and the display, still konked out. I want to ask them what's up with the shipping charge to canada ($500 flat fee) for replacing the head unit or the display (!)
ship it to port huron and do a road trip

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I can connect via ip address, so I can control remotely, but display unit is def kaput. So I have functionality, just not easy up front controls.
ship it to port huron and do a road trip

I know, but that's seriously effed up. I can get a 50 pound power amp shipped here from china for $.05

TheGreenStag

i hear you Salty...so they couldnt revive my display yesterday on the live support call and asked me to send it over to them for further diagnosis. Just to test they will charge $35 and if they have to fix it it will range from $50 to $185 US + i have to pay for shipping it over to them. This is wrong as a brand new display at reefsupplies costs $135 CAD...is neptune getting carried away lol...