Need Help With Apex

TheGreenStag

I would just buy new, warranty and you will have it in a few days

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
yep agreed and thts what i will do but for now i am not sure if a display is necessary i was ready a thread where you can connect an ipad...

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
yep agreed and thts what i will do but for now i am not sure if a display is necessary i was ready a thread where you can connect an ipad...
Several people are using dedicated tablets as displays. This only works as long as your Apex is connected to the network though. Basically they just leave Fusion open on it

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
i hear you Salty...so they couldnt revive my display yesterday on the live support call and asked me to send it over to them for further diagnosis. Just to test they will charge $35 and if they have to fix it it will range from $50 to $185 US + i have to pay for shipping it over to them. This is wrong as a brand new display at reefsupplies costs $135 CAD...is neptune getting carried away lol...
Kind of what I figured, that's why I'm almost considering using an old phone or ipod or something connected via wifi as a new controller. My concern is that the problem is with my base unit and not the display at all, which could get $$$ real quick.

TheGreenStag

Most people use a ups to power the apex brain via a 12v power plug that plugs into the brain. They also plug in their router/modem. That way they can receive notifications that the power is out. Basically when the power goes out the apex sees that the eb8 has no power and sends you your notification. You would be looking at a generator for back up power of the eb8.

Thanks Torx my only concern is in todays day and age do we really need to go thru all this...usually power comes back within couple hours at the most maybe 4hrs...i like to keep the system as simple as possible just so i can enjoy the hobby rather than rolling my eyes around the maintenance issues lol..
Several people are using dedicated tablets as displays. This only works as long as your Apex is connected to the network though. Basically they just leave Fusion open on it

yep thts simple...

TheGreenStag

Only thing I like about the display is the option to reboot the apex and easy feed control as well as viewing the IP

good answer but cant you get your apex's IP address once you log into your router itself..this is turning out to be a good discussion hope it would help down the road for someone...lol

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Thanks Torx my only concern is in todays day and age do we really need to go thru all this...usually power comes back within couple hours at the most maybe 4hrs...i like to keep the system as simple as possible just so i can enjoy the hobby rather than rolling my eyes around the maintenance issues lol..

yep thts simple...

We do not have to do it all. You can do a simple back up with the UPS to power the Apex brain and router to get power fail notifications and then grab a battery back up for a circ pump and you should be good for a few hours. There is a new power fail notification for Apex, have you heard of Heartbeat? You need to turn it on as it is a default off option through Fusion. It is not an instant notification, but if your Apex looses connection for approx. 30 minutes from the Fusion server you will get an email/text notification.

good answer but cant you get your apex's IP address once you log into your router itself..this is turning out to be a good discussion hope it would help down the road for someone...lol

You can, but most people do not have the knowledge base to do this easily. Plus all routers/modems are different making it difficult for support the navigate a user to find. The Apex 2016 is not sold with a display, it is not something that is needed by any means. When I upgrade to the Apex 2016 I do not plan on buying a new display. I will be migrating my current Apex Classic to be solely the seahorse tank and use the display there.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
yeah that built in reset button is mighty handy on the new apex

are the components 100% backwards compatible?

Backwards compatible yes, forward compatible no so much.

Any previously released modules are able to be used with the Apex 2016. They had previously stated that the future modules will be compatible with the Apex Classic. That quickly has changed though. The new COR, ATK and many other modules that have recently been and are being released are compatible with both Classic and 2016, however the new Triton system is only compatible with the 2016.

TheGreenStag

We do not have to do it all. You can do a simple back up with the UPS to power the Apex brain and router to get power fail notifications and then grab a battery back up for a circ pump and you should be good for a few hours. There is a new power fail notification for Apex, have you heard of Heartbeat? You need to turn it on as it is a default off option through Fusion. It is not an instant notification, but if your Apex looses connection for approx. 30 minutes from the Fusion server you will get an email/text notification.

Yes i have been using the heartbeat through fusion and it has alerted me when i loose power. Its a great feature. Yep i am going to get the battery back up for my vortech pumps which will click in automatically once the power is out. So the heartbeat will notify me about the power outage as the apex will be disconnected and battery back up will get the pumps going..i guess if i have to choose between a display and battery back up i now clearly have an answer no brainer...Thanks guys you guys are awesome...

You can, but most people do not have the knowledge base to do this easily. Plus all routers/modems are different making it difficult for support the navigate a user to find. The Apex 2016 is not sold with a display, it is not something that is needed by any means. When I upgrade to the Apex 2016 I do not plan on buying a new display. I will be migrating my current Apex Classic to be solely the seahorse tank and use the display there.

Agreed i myself struggled in the beginning to access the router's website..