Neo's 120gal Display - Basement Sump

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
my tank is not stocked with expensive things so I am not terribly concerned. but like I said its been gogin on for a month with every hot spell and this is the first time i have seen casualties:(  I got 5 bottles in the frezer:)

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
It will probably still take a while, but at least it will go down slowly. Also, are you keeping your canopy open or is it vented enough that your lights aren't contributing to the heat? Pretty sure you are still running LED's which are cooler, but they are close to the water line and still give off some crazy heat from the heatsinks. I also did not see any fans in your canopy forcing/venting the air out. Then again, maybe it is warm enough in your house already.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
90 in th house today.  Leds runnign half power so no heat being gerneated really.  Got a small fan on the sump downstairs.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
My auto matic top off have fallen behind by 2 gallons on the last 2 days :) its empty when it shoudl be full

Blob-79

Super Active Member
I run my RO source water line thru a coil in my sump before it goes thru the ro unit...im sure it cools the tank a bit..but not the reason I do it lol. its more to warm up the source water

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Well I finally got a QT / Frag / Whatever tank setup.  I had a 90 gallon but was just too big for for any kind of regular work in.  This is a peice together from all the stuff I have picked up over the last year.

Hopefully its as useful as I hope:)

Anyways
Heres the old 90 I never got around to doing much with.
DSC_1886_zpsd2a289f3.jpg

Materials:

Picked up a 75 Gal for free from - Jwps
Picked up a Octopus HOB Skimmer from - Torx
Picked up an Eheim 1262 Pump from - Salty1
And a sheet of acrylic from - Home Depot
Had the stand and Lighting left over from the 90 system I purchased.
Throw in the left over 3/4 inch PVC and silicone I had and we are all set.

I kind of designed this thing after your typical sump setups.  3 sections.  The first for your return, 2nd for whatever, 3rd for your equipment. 
DSC_2531_zps3e87659f.jpg

In the first section I plan to fill with larger rubble and any live rock that will need to be QTd or dry rock to be seeded.  Its not a big section maybe 6 inches wide with the baffle 12.5" tall.

In the 2nd I plan on keepign my fish for QT and half built a small Frag rack for the possible futer in which I am able to fill my tank with fish and no l onger need a QT tank :) not likely.  It is 11.5" inches deep and about 30" long.

In the 3rd I have the return pump moving water back to compartment 1 and a Skimmer.  This skimmer maybe a HOB skimmer but works great as an in tank one as well.  In fact it quiets the thing down as well :) 

DSC_2533_zpsb6e153ca.jpg

DSC_2534_zps023413cf.jpg

To help with the vibrations and noise being gerneated by this stuff I put some silicone feet onto skimmer and the Pump.  Meaning I took my silicone gun and ran beads about 1/4 high along any surface sitting on the tank bottom.  It actually works very well.

We shall see how well this setup works in the future but I can see myself having to put some eggcrate across the top of the baffles to keep fish in the middle.

I also rewired my already rewired t5 glo stuff.http://www.marineandreef.com/Hagen_Glo_Retrofit_High_Output_T5_Lighting_System_p/rhg11555.htm
They do the job.  Built a new ghetto fixture and hung it from the ceiling.

DSC_2544_zpsa582d199.jpg

While I was at this project I also tackled modding the BRS reactors to be a better Biopellet reactor.  I basically copied this thread. http://www.3reef.com/forums/i-made/i-made-better-biopellet-brs-reactor-mod-119890.html . I had to go buy some of the screen stuff and that was it.  With this setup I am able to almost double the capactiy of the reactor since the flow is reversed and not using the internal cartridge any more.

DSC_2547_zps78b01861.jpg

http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/...?action=view&current=DSC_2548_zpsec7add3e.mp4

There are a couple fish in QT now.  I will let you all know if I built Deathtrap #2.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Ya I grabbed a foxface, 6line, yellow coris wrasse.  I have some flatworm in the tank and I was thinking that these my help with them.  If not I have some Levamisol ordered in the states.  25 a bottle for flatworm exit.  25 for one package of this.  takes 3 bottles to do one treatment on my tank.  can treat 50 times with the levamisole. 

Its bascially a dewormer for cattle, pigeons, pigs. 

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Neopimp link said:
Ya I grabbed a foxface, 6line, yellow coris wrasse.  I have some flatworm in the tank and I was thinking that these my help with them.  If not I have some Levamisol ordered in the states.  25 a bottle for flatworm exit.  25 for one package of this.  takes 3 bottles to do one treatment on my tank.  can treat 50 times with the levamisole. 

Its bascially a dewormer for cattle, pigeons, pigs.

Nice! The coris wrasse and six line may help.
I dont think you can totally eliminate flatworms if you already have them, just control the population. Keep us posted on your treatments.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I also figured it woudl help the new additions if there was a food source they coudl pick away at :)
Who knows. ... I just wnat my fish to stay alive for a change :)

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
well three weeks and the fish are still alive in the main system DT.    ;D

B

Bill@IA

Neopimp link said:
well three weeks and the fish are still alive in the main system DT.    ;D

That's terrific. After all of your past trial runs ...Glad to hear these are working out.

:)

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
All the corals are doing pretty good in my frag/sump system.  The light I have is very yellow so its not helping the colors out at al but is more than sufficient to keep everythign alive.  There is now bryopsis in the frag tank so I will have to try and kill that some how befor emoving things.  Not sure where it came from.

I also had the pleasure of using Petercars Apogee Par meter to se how well my DIY setup was performing.  I went with no optics and placed the fixed just a few inches from the water initially.  Well par at the top was 800-1000 jus tunder the water line but fell off pretty quickly.  At the top of the rock work I was getting 250 - 350 ish, which is not quite good enough, almos t but not quite.  SO I went and purchsed a bunch of optics for the leds.

Pain to glue down and I wish I had been a little neater with the soldering initially becasue some of the overhang was in the way of the elns and needed to be trimmed.  A sharp xacto blade works good.  I did manage to slice the top of an led off when the blade slipped though lol.  Just jumpered it out and the fixture lit back up minus one LED.

Anyways the par at the top of the rock work climbed to 450 - 500 ish.  Good enough for me and anythign I plan on keeping.

The tank doesnt look any brighter, in fact it looks dimmer but I am betting it is because of the light not flooding the whoel thing and being focus more to the rock work.  The sahdows in the tank have gotten a little darker as well do to this. 

I did not raise the ficture at all so I am 2-3 inches off the water with 80degree optics and have no spot lightign that I can see.  The single red led does stand out when the white channels are dimmed down though.

Hopeuflly I see some improve ment in coral growth and color.  The SPS stuff I have are alive and growing but are brown and boring right now.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Swapped out the DIY t5 on the Frag / QT tank for the Ecotech Radion I came across:)
I can actually keep acros alive down there now :)

P

phi delt reefer

Neopimp link said:
Swapped out the DIY t5 on the Frag / QT tank for the Ecotech Radion I came across:)
I can actually keep acros alive down there now :)

Dude... post a freak in pic of ur display! I disappeared for a year Nd my thread has more updates, lol!