Nevek's 120 Shallow Reef Build

nevek67

OK here's a question. Bulkheads...Thread/Thread or Thread/Slip whats your opinions on them I don't know if I like the idea of tightening by hand something that's attached to glass. at the same time, If I move its that much harder.

opinions....or personal experience please

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
At the cost of them, I normally get threaded. I use plumbers tape on a threaded to slip and attach plumbing to the slip. That way if anything goes wrong, you can just unscrew the old plumbing.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Pardon the mess on the pipe. It was part of my emergency repair the other day and some plumbing was reused.

f589fc8e87fb41e6673260287d7790a4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

shamous113

could you not just add a bit of pipe to the primary to make it lower, instead of drilling holes at different depths?
drilling the holes at different heights is what controls the flow, I tried to show it at the bottom of the drawing but didn't explain it and it may not be that clear I'm a little sleep deprived rite now. The hole height being lower on the primary causes it to start flowing before the secondary witch will give you a faster prime of the siphon in that line. the water will still go down the secondary but just a slight trickle when the primary is in full siphon.

nevek67

drilling the holes at different heights is what controls the flow, I tried to show it at the bottom of the drawing but didn't explain it and it may not be that clear I'm a little sleep deprived rite now. The hole height being lower on the primary causes it to start flowing before the secondary witch will give you a faster prime of the siphon in that line. the water will still go down the secondary but just a slight trickle when the primary is in full siphon.

And the emergency line at the same height as the secondary? I understand and makes sense, thanks

nevek67

Thanks Shamous, I got it, Full siphon slightly lower then back up and emergency..

I'm thinking I can get away with 45's from the bulkheads to above the sump in the room and then straight down into the sump.. Nice thing is its only maybe going to be 20" away. I'm not sure if I am going to include the T's right after or not. Was also contemplating just using a 90 then 45 and flex right into the sump with the gate valve closer to the sump.

I feel like I've done nothing with this so far...Almost done the mud room she wants finished first...Almost... If anyone lives close buy and is better at mudding drywall...there is a care of beer in it for ya haha