Nevek's 120 Shallow Reef Build

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
I also dunno if i would put my sumps to close to the break panel, not sure what your plans are but i thought i would mention it :)

nevek67

breaker panel is up high, I don't think any water will get to it, It will be boxed off eventually.
I'm a DIY kinda guy and I can't manipulate glass on my own. Also I like the look of the box being black. I don't want to see the bulk heads through the tank.

nevek67

Holy cow....
Quote to have my aquarium drilled with 2 1" holes and an overflow box installed.....$300
that's half of what the thing cost me...and I think a little excessive
Anyone have a 1" bit? some experience and time.. I'll have to figure out something for an overflow. I didn't think they would cost $175

shamous113

The 1/4" glass for my over flow was about $100 and I got a glass hole saw from home hardware $30. drilling the holes is easy, use plumber's putty to make a dam around and start drilling.

nevek67

so its a frag tank and the side walls are only 12" tall if I laid it on its side would it be safe? Or can I just leave it on its bottom and drill vertically?

nevek67

Could you not just hold a hose running water on it? its in the garage so I don't really care about a mess. I'm more concerned with cracking or breaking something. if that happens I'm effed. Wife won't let me buy another one..

shamous113

Could you not just hold a hose running water on it? its in the garage so I don't really care about a mess. I'm more concerned with cracking or breaking something. if that happens I'm effed. Wife won't let me buy another one..
IMHO you should be drilling it laying on its side, the pooled water helps the filings move out of the way of the drill bit. I clamped a pc of wood on the inside of the tank to reduce the chip out. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1837587

shamous113

I made a jig to keep the drill bit in in the proper spot, put the torque setting on the lowest setting and slow speed.

Attachments

• IMG_20161111_185147.jpg
    IMG_20161111_185147.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57

nevek67

Yes I already planned on making a jig with wood . I just can't get over placing the tank on its side with such small walls to support it.
either way its gotta get done

shamous113

Holy getting fancy. I just start at a 45° and man handle the drill. As a groove is made, I slowly move the drill verticle (or horizontal if drilling like that) as it cuts it's own groove

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
I needed accuracy because I took my edge distance to the minimum and added a 1/16

Either you guys have nerves of steal, I fully stocked liquor cabinet/Beer fridge or some decent disposable income lol
after a few drinks yes.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Did you call Miracles to see what they would charge to do it? I know it means moving it, but they will probably be about the same cost, maybe less, as this bit and you do not need to worry about the work. Most places only charge $10/hole from what I know. I wish I still travelled that way for work, I would have done it for you, or at least dropped off my bits if we couldnt fit it in.

nevek67

that $300 dollar quote is from miracles, $25 per hole, $165 for a cup overflow and $85 if they sent someone to do it at my house. Pretty sure I could just go to miracles and talk to the glass cutter/driller guy and he would come do it for some beer lol.

pretty sure i can get acrylic cut to size from plastic world for fairly cheap, I have to e-mail them and get a quote.
sure the bit is $60 but I'll use it or sell it on here after or rent it whatever doesn't matter, I do tile in home reno's maybe one day I'll need it

nevek67

Question.. I've been thinking about this for awhile now but I would not mind some opinions.
I'm moving livestock from one aquarium to another, fully established (2 years ago I moved this aquarium from one house to another but used new substrate)
I do not plan on getting new substrate.

Fish/snails/inverts in a large tote with the HOB skimmer and some medium pieces of live rock.(heater etc but no lights)

Nems are going in one of my 30 breeders on the rock they are on with a small power head, this will be plumbed into the other 30 breeder I have (at the same level) with all the coral.
on these 2 aquariums I'll have the light set up. and a small canister filter intake in one tank, out on another (if I had a picture you'd understand)

I'm only doing this because I'm transferring the sand from the current tank into the new set up and for a day or 2 I want everything to settle down, I don't think I'll hit a big spike but I don't want livestock in the tank just in case. This will also tune the protein skimmer I hope.

So I'll end up with 3 buckets of water with livestock in them, and the new display with the live rock and sand settling down)

Before I transfer livestock I plan on doing a 50% WC.

Is this enough? or Over kill?

I've heard of horror stories moving a set up into a new tank (however I don't have the luxury of keeping the old one running while the new one is set up.

I did not have any problems with the move the first time.

Your thoughts/experiences are more then welcome.

shamous113