Nevek's 120 Shallow Reef Build

shamous113

Which raises another question, Where is the best place to buy bulk heads, Obviously I'm looking for cheap HAHA
I used hayward 1 1/2" bulkheads I got them at the pool store along with most of my plumbing, cheaper then Emco and marks supply and if they don't have it they can get it for you.

nevek67

I should have done this before but I just measured the existing hole and from edge to edge is 1.5" so I guess I'm going with 1.5" bulkheads?

the entire bulkhead requires different size hole thing confuses me more then it should.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
To top it off, different bulkheads of the same size need a different size hole. Sch40 and Sch80 bulkheads. Sch40 is the normal one for our use, Sch80 is more for industrial. If your hole has a 1.5" diameter, then you need a 3/4" bulkhead and 3/4" plumbing

BulkheadChart.jpg

bulkheads-300x225.jpg

nevek67

Quick question for anyone who has set up the overflow this way... I decided to say fuck it and make a glass overflow and just add acrylic teeth to that overflow..maybe!! I think I mentioned I'm setting up a bean animal 3 drain system. What I need to know... the way I built the wall and the stand I have (came with it) is too short to fit the sump underneath so everything will be in the room behind the wall...so I need to extend the pipes coming from the back of the tank to maybe 3 inches or so.. Will that effect the performance of this set up you think? I'll post a picture of the wall....for real this time.
upload_2017-1-1_9-0-0.png

nevek67

Yes I already planned for a gate valve actually. thank you. I thought maybe an angled fitting to extend it out some.

thanks for the help!

shamous113

your welcome, also make sure that your secondary drain is no more then 1/2" higher then your primary any more then it doesn't kick in quick enough.