Letsdiscus

P
Ok soooo I'll try my best here......
Yes keep the intake side of the elbow larger then the actuall pipe so 1 1/2" elbow reduced to 1" will work fine.
-the top of the main siphon needs NO flex line. I was redoing someone else's overflow on a used tank so I took that line out and plugged the hole. It should just be another elbow. The air line goes on the top of the trickle drain and yes it needs to be just above the regular operating level in the overflow......being as such water will trickle down that drain constantly but when the water raises for some issue(only time it should ever happen) that line will seal with water creating a second siphon and quickly suck out the excess water.
Does that help explain it?

Perfect. That sure helps.. So its ok to retain 1 " pipe for overflow drains but just keep the intake of the elbows to 1.5". That makes sense.. Many thanks.. This way, i can probably salvage some of the 1.5" elbows from my previous 90 gallon build which i had as "Herbie Overflow"

Thanks again. appreciate it.

Letsdiscus

Some new Toys coming home as budgets permit ..

- My new Apex automatic feeder..
- Lifeguard 1" Bulkheads - slip x slip
- 1" Eductor (This sucker took a long time to be delivered) but MOPS has been professional in regular updates on the delivery status..

Attachments

• IMG_7083.JPG
    IMG_7083.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_7101.JPG
    IMG_7101.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 90

Letsdiscus

Got some more work done last evening- Tank sides painted and finally ready for plumbing..

Attachments

• IMG_7094.JPG
    IMG_7094.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7095.JPG
    IMG_7095.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_7096.JPG
    IMG_7096.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_7097.JPG
    IMG_7097.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_7098.JPG
    IMG_7098.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_7099.JPG
    IMG_7099.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_7102.JPG
    IMG_7102.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 79

Letsdiscus

P

Perfect. That sure helps.. So its ok to retain 1 " pipe for overflow drains but just keep the intake of the elbows to 1.5". That makes sense.. Many thanks.. This way, i can probably salvage some of the 1.5" elbows from my previous 90 gallon build which i had as "Herbie Overflow"

Thanks again. appreciate it.

Hi There, I have reached the stage for plumbing and just need few further clarifications if anyone can assist regarding Bean Animal Overflow-
Main concern is whether it will be ok to run the 2 drains with 1" Pvc (excluding the intake in the overflow box which i will make 1.5")

reading Bean's thread on RC, he suggests keeping bigger drains hose from bulk head to sump to reduce friction and noise.. has anyone tried the Bean animal drain approach using 1" PVC and still have no issues with noise/friction etc

Would it help if from the Bulkheads (which are 1") the rest of the PVC going to sump could be 1.5" and

whether it would make sense to have a 1" gate/ball valve on the drain with 1.5" pvc for the rest of the drain leading to sump or 1.5" ball/gate valve?

I had already purchased a 1" Gate valve which may be difficult to replace /return besides have lots of salvaged 1.5" and 1" PVC which i can use

Return pump i have 2 available. Both are Reef Octopus Water Blaster 7000 and 10000

I was running the Water blaster 10000 on my old 90gallon setup but that had the sump in basement and DT on main level. so there was a bit of a run from the fish room to the main level. Iam wondering if this will be an overkill for the new setup since both DT and sump r in the basement less than 6 feet in height..

Dr. Zoos

Don't constric then enlarge it. Just keep it 1". Mine ran dead silent and trouble free. I ran my valve about half way. MAKE SMALL ADJUSTMENTS!!!!! They will overflow and flush and drain a few times befor you dial it in. But once you have it set(main drain stead full siphon and trickle will be, well, trickling) you can walk away and ignore it. It looked like the water was a bit under half way up the elbow if you could see from he side. THEN make the air line from the trickle just above that level. If your water then rises to that lever it will create siphon(you really don't want that to ever happen).
There is a proper flow chart somewhere about what plumbing sizes will handle what water. If you go to big pump just T the return and recirculate the extra water back to your sump somewhere like the fuge section.
I never had that problem but my main drain went to the skimmer the trickle went to the fuge. My return was in the middle of my sump I had a reactor that took water from the skimmer section polished in in my reactor media and discharged into the fuge because my trickle was soooo slow that I wanted to add a big more flow to the fuge.
I hope I've helped a bit more. Check your mail box.

Letsdiscus

Don't constric then enlarge it. Just keep it 1". Mine ran dead silent and trouble free. I ran my valve about half way. MAKE SMALL ADJUSTMENTS!!!!! They will overflow and flush and drain a few times befor you dial it in. But once you have it set(main drain stead full siphon and trickle will be, well, trickling) you can walk away and ignore it. It looked like the water was a bit under half way up the elbow if you could see from he side. THEN make the air line from the trickle just above that level. If your water then rises to that lever it will create siphon(you really don't want that to ever happen).
There is a proper flow chart somewhere about what plumbing sizes will handle what water. If you go to big pump just T the return and recirculate the extra water back to your sump somewhere like the fuge section.
I never had that problem but my main drain went to the skimmer the trickle went to the fuge. My return was in the middle of my sump I had a reactor that took water from the skimmer section polished in in my reactor media and discharged into the fuge because my trickle was soooo slow that I wanted to add a big more flow to the fuge.
I hope I've helped a bit more. Check your mail box.

thanks again for this.. I think its well explained. I will go ahead with 1" then as it would also save money on trying to get another gate valve. pics to follow as i progress..Thanks

Letsdiscus

Plumbing starts...
- 1" Bulkheads for 5 overflow holes { 2 for returns, 1 emergency, 2 Main Drains (Bean Animal)}

Attachments

• IMG_7107.JPG
    IMG_7107.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_7121.JPG
    IMG_7121.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_7122.JPG
    IMG_7122.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 91

shamous113

I set up my been animal with the primary line 1/2" lower then the secondary, with the height being lower on the primary it causes it to start flowing before the secondary witch will give you a faster prime of the siphon in that line. the water will still go down the secondary but just a slight trickle when the primary is in full siphon.

Dr. Zoos

In Your picture it looks like your main drain will need to be completely submerged and the water above that befor it would even touch the trickle drain.

Letsdiscus

In Your picture it looks like your main drain will need to be completely submerged and the water above that before it would even touch the trickle drain.

Is the main drain supposed to be the one without the air line connected on top for Bean animal setup. SO in my setup, i have purposely set it lower. This way, the main drain will kick start first and have a ball valve on it to adjust the flow with the return and have the second drain with the airline hose to trickle in the rest to compensate the returns. would this make sense as per Beans approach? Thanks

Dr. Zoos

Sorry but I couldn't tell you. You are straying away from the bean animal overflow and closer to a durso that way I think.
Yes the main drain does not get the air line

Dima

Beautiful tank, waiting for mine to be done, ordered from same guy Derek a week ago. Planning to do same bean animal setup as you are :) Have a couple of qs. How heavy was your tank ? and for the plumbing setup I would really appreciate if u can share some more pics of the plumbing setup.

Letsdiscus

Beautiful tank, waiting for mine to be done, ordered from same guy Derek a week ago. Planning to do same bean animal setup as you are :) Have a couple of qs. How heavy was your tank ? and for the plumbing setup I would really appreciate if u can share some more pics of the plumbing setup.

Thats great to know Dima.. well mine is a 1/2" glass and with the dimensions it clocks up to around 70-75gallons. It was s..t heavy. definately need 2 strong hands...Husband and wife combo may not work.. :) i will post a few more pics in my next post as iam taking it slowly as time permits mostly on weekends ...

Letsdiscus

Edging a bit slower but for sure towards the final goal.. but step at a time..

got some basic return plumbing done!!! had the very first leak test done and finally managed to hook up my Mitras LED..:) all in a days work lol..

Next step would be to get the sand in and start the cycling.. hav 2 bags of Carib Sea Live sand waiting to see daylight...

I still have to work on the overflow drain plumbing but that can wait... will get the sand cycling started. hoping if i can get sometime during the week :(

Attachments

• IMG_7136.JPG
    IMG_7136.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7137.JPG
    IMG_7137.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_7138.JPG
    IMG_7138.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_7139.JPG
    IMG_7139.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_7140.JPG
    IMG_7140.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_7141 (1).JPG
    IMG_7141 (1).JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7147.JPG
    IMG_7147.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7148.JPG
    IMG_7148.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 58

Nick James

Hi Nick. is your response to a previous post of mine or you noticed something missing in my plumbing. Just trying to understand your post. Thanks,

It's a link to beananimals site and a photo from the site of the proper setup, in response to the conversation from a few days ago about your plumbing set up.