New tank talk

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
So im thinking about going with a new tank, like getting one built new... not kijiji new.
just because i really, really really dont want this to ever happen again lol.

The size ive pretty much settled on is, 36x36x24, for a couple reason

A; i like the cube style, yet this is big enough for tangs
B; shorter panes of glass are much cheaper and its not a super expensive tank to buy new.
C; i can still get my 3 sided peninsula look that i love.

So, i know its not a 'custom' tank according to miracles, but rather a standard tank. So i see it in their price list for
$535.00, get a coast to coast over flow and a couple holes drilled will prob cost me another 150$.
They also have outstanding warranty im told, tank, floor, livestock etc etc.
but- from their website i gather it is a 6-8 week wait.

I asked sealife about a tank this size a couple months back and they gave me a similiar price if i recall,
But I'm unsure about the wait time, and about warranty, can anyone chime in?
I've fired them a couple emails about it yesterday morning but am still waiting for a reply.

I just want to get some opinions on this all. Open discussion.... andddd go :)

davesolo29

Super Active Member
first off... try advanced reef aquatics.  flavios tanks are beautiful.
I know Derek had a few issues with his at first but im pretty sure it all got resolved.

second... Miracles has great customer service.  My buddy Phil had an issue with a tank and they covered everything...as you said, floor, stand, livestock, etc..

Needless to say, whoever you decide to use, be sure they will stand behind it fully.  Every tank manufacturer can have problems.  Its not like they fill up the tanks and leak test for years prior to delivery.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I have checked out many tank manufacturers that are available and went with a tank and dealer that I liked the best.

Don't be in a rush, if you are long-term in this hobby, do your research and wait for it, if it is the tank you want.

Take your time and ensure you design a decent overflow and figure out your returns and where your powerheads will go, etc. Look at a lot of the recent tank builds on here and the TOTMs on RC and R2R and see what they did and take away what you like from each build and incorporate it into your own. Many features are of a subjective nature and are of personal preference.

Of course you can find steals and deals all over the net, but the bottom line get what you want and don't worry about paying or saving a few extra bucks.

All local builders should be fine, speak with guys who have worked with them and form your own opinion.

Good luck!

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
With just over 4 feet corner to corner I hope you mean OK for smaller tangs.  After almost ten years my Sohal makes the 6 feet across the 200gal seem very cramped, like he can never really swim at speed.

A 5'or6' x3 peninsula would be amazing...  Oh yeah then there's that whole stupid money thing, budgets etc...  :'(

Jewel

I hate Cubes, Why? Because you think you've got enough room But no you don't. If it's gonna be a Coral tank with a few ornamental fish or shrimp the fine, Go for it But If you expect your Naso to swim 3 ft and stop then you can forget it.I've had many tanks and many sizes and Length is what you want for fish, And especially Tangs. I know someone mentioned my pal Flavio but I wouldn't go that route. Why? because I know he's trying to get away from building tanks and warranting them.

Miracles, No Way. Sure they build some nice tanks but not all. Sometimes they build shit. If it were me I'd get a 180 6x2x2 External Overflows and have it built locally by Sealife. You gotta a problem, they'll look after you, Miracles is in Orangeville, They don't know you.or us and they won't look after you the way Sealife will have to. Like T said think about it, Think about if you have problems and remember You're young you could have this tank for a long time so do it right the first time. And remember you get what you pay for. HTH

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
There's a nice 180 for 800$ bucks loaded with livestock on kijiji

nexusnight

i think jewel has a very valid point. my tank is 140gallon 1/2 inch glass and rimless. Built through sealife. if u would like to see it pm me.

Jewel

You've seen Dereks tank, I like a 180 because they're long, lots of room, Lighting isn't a problem, Did I say you've seen Dereks tank LOL. Really  My tank is on the smaller size but I've had a few big tanks in my time and I know Cubes just don't work, they're hard to get a good water flow to them.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Poseidon link said:
I've had a 180g before, not sure if I want to go that big again

The kijiji ad was in welland, when I saw it I was surprised u weren't all over it, nice tank and loaded with extras..

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Duke link said:
[quote author=Poseidon link=topic=7738.msg80610#msg80610 date=1391998064]
I've had a 180g before, not sure if I want to go that big again

The kijiji ad was in welland, when I saw it I was surprised u weren't all over it, nice tank and loaded with extras..
[/quote]

i did see that one lol, ive even been in contact with the guy, but the problem is its too big,

i only plan on being in this house for another year or so, so i dont want to setup this huge tank only to move it again in a years time.
im still on the fence with what to do, i did see a nice 135g on kijiji, 72x18wx24 high. which is what one of my first tanks was, so im tempted with that, but i dunno, definitely dont want a repeat leak...

another thing,
how long do you guys suppose some of the sps im keeping will survive in a 70g tank, full of water, power head and heater and my 4 t5's?
ive got a few montis, digis, and acros in there.

Jewel

Water quality would be my only concern, It's hard to get that from a new set-up. A 135 is nice, actually that was my first tank, I thought it was huge, Then I went to a 220, What ever you decide on doesn't have to be done right away, Nothin wrong with down sizing your display for now. Once you move then get er done. All you've got is time,

sunnykita

Super Active Member
Brandon, just be sure to think your purchase over, I personally don't think you'd be happy 6 months down the road with a small tank. Maybe the 135 is the route to go until you have your own place. Gary and Linda would take really good care of you whichever way you go. Have a chat with them. Go in to the store and talk person to person, that's best.
wishing you nothing but good luck from here on in !

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
got quotes from Sealife, and miracles, sealife has miricales beat by a long shot.

i was thinking though, and i got two quotes from gary:

one for my 36x36x24, AND for a 60"x 24x24.
the 150g is only 50$ more basically, and i can use it with my new stand that came with my bow front.

decisions decisions... i like the cube idea, but it will be easier to just use the nice new stand i already have now, and a 5x2x2 is a really nice tank...

input welcome :)

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
reeferkeeper420 link said:
I think the 5×2×2 would be the best option, give your tangs more swimming room. And you more room to place coral.

only have one tang left,
its only 1 sq ft more for the base of the 5x2 vs 3x3.
im torn...

curiousphil

Super Active Member
My vote would be the 150g.... cubes can be really tough to get good flow in, as Jewel said above.  I've seen a few and really dislike how they were setup.  In terms of aquascaping, you could do a lot more with the 150g, but then I know you also are a fan of the single pile look, and can make that work well... so it's a wash lol.  The cube would hands down be easier to move in a year.

Jewel

I'm with the 5x2 but that's me, what ever you do will be ok, cause you'll upgrade in 5 years. But here's something to think about. Moving a Cube that's 3 ft square isn't as easy as you think, Sure it'll fit thru a Patio door but maybe not down a hall or stair well. But what ever you do it has to be something you want and can afford.