New tank talk

Giglio324

Has anyone suggested you look at great lakes aquarium from what i can see they make pretty nice tanks. I feel like that would be where i would get my next one. Only 30 mins over the border from me tho

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
Giglio324 link said:
Has anyone suggested you look at great lakes aquarium from what i can see they make pretty nice tanks. I feel like that would be where i would get my next one. Only 30 mins over the border from me tho
i did mention it.    ..thats where harleymike got his new tank

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Poseidon link said:
Is it possible to cut down an acrylic tank without taking it apart?
I have access to an acrylic tank, but it's 36\" high.

ask gary to do it, just setup a fence and run a router around it, should be really simple. clarity shouldnt be affected at all.. Parker plastics would also do it. 1" acrylic rimless.. sounds nice, polished top lip.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Sealife doesn't offer warranty...
Bit of a turn off if I'm spending all that dough.. What do you guys think?

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Poseidon link said:

Well that's where the extra $$ comes from for miracles. Because if something does happen they are going to pay your deductible.

I find it weird to build something and not have a warranty....

Jewel

Now that surprises me, Maybe it's a personnel thing, where they'll cover any problems with the tank but not damage to floors or what ever, did you talk to them? That's discouraging.

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I wouldn't expect them to cover anything other then the tank. They are a small company. They should at least warranty the tank;  if not you might as well just buy the glass yourself and have someone help you .

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Normally I wouldn't care. But because I've had a 'brand new' tank blow up all over my room, I don't want to waste a lot of money to have it happen again.

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
unibob link said:
[quote author=Poseidon link=topic=7738.msg80916#msg80916 date=1392150629]

Well that's where the extra $$ comes from for miracles. Because if something does happen they are going to pay your deductible.

[/quote]

i dont blame them, without an actual insurance policy to cover damages.. etc etc.. they could be on the hook for crazy amounts of money if something happened, Gary buys the glass precision cut and beveled and just assembles the tank, myself i would be ok with this, he does a good job from what i've seen in their shop, i mean its not rocket science, the proper adhesive and a bit of knowledge and it shouldnt matter who is assembling it but if your worried about that. why not just cut that acrylic tank down? easy to do and no chance at all of seams bursting, breaking, Acryilc bonds are stronger than the acrylic itself from what i've read.

if miracles only offers to pay your insurance deductible i wouldnt bother with them at all.. they should be paying their insurance deductible to cover any damage caused by a tank under their warranty.. no?

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Poseidon link said:
Normally I wouldn't care. But because I've had a 'brand new' tank blow up all over my room, I don't want to waste a lot of money to have it happen again.

just go buy a marineland tank.. they sell 1000's a day.. good to go!!

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Duke link said:
[quote author=unibob link=topic=7738.msg80917#msg80917 date=1392151167]

[quote author=Poseidon link=topic=7738.msg80916#msg80916 date=1392150629]

[/quote]

i dont blame them, without an actual insurance policy to cover damages.. etc etc.. they could be on the hook for crazy amounts of money if something happened, Gary buys the glass precision cut and beveled and just assembles the tank, myself i would be ok with this, he does a good job from what i've seen in their shop, i mean its not rocket science, the proper adhesive and a bit of knowledge and it shouldnt matter who is assembling it but if your worried about that. why not just cut that acrylic tank down? easy to do and no chance at all of seams bursting, breaking, Acryilc bonds are stronger than the acrylic itself from what i've read.

if miracles only offers to pay your insurance deductible i wouldnt bother with them at all.. they should be paying their insurance deductible to cover any damage caused by a tank under their warranty.. no?
[/quote]

Miracles covers it all (floors, livestock, hardware)

The liability is the main reason I wouldn't expect Sealife to cover anything other then the tank if something happened.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Yea this is why I want to think about it another night, I still may go with it. But want to hear your inputs as well, and what duke said, Adam has a tank with no issues, and all his tanks in the store look awesome and don't leak,

And I do understand the no warrantee thing, I just need to decide if that's something I want

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Sealife builds some killer nice looking tanks. What I am saying is I don't think I would accept a no warranty on the tank itself if I am buying brand new and "custom"

It may never leak and last you 20 years, but how are you going to feel if a month in it cracks and are told you are SOL. I would definitely discuss this with whomever do you go with.

Jewel

I'd take the back glass to Sealife and have them build a tank around it, There's your 5 ft section already drilled, If they don't warranty why would they care, save a few bucks.

nexusnight

just get the tank you want man, no regrets later, i imagine sealife would cover the tank if the silicone work let go or the glass cracked, chances are good it wont,gary always uses 12mm and all edges are polished and beveled for the best fit and finish. i mean can u honestly expect a company to cover damages to ur house? were playing with glass boxes held together with silicone lol, and hundreds of pounds o water lol. i mean look at sealifes 500G, sure it 1" glass but still thats close to 5000 lbs!!!!!
oh and if ur really worried about it add coverage to ur home insurance, i did and its like 20 bucks a year :)

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
nexusnight link said:
just get the tank you want man, no regrets later, i imagine sealife would cover the tank if the silicone work let go or the glass cracked, chances are good it wont,gary always uses 12mm and all edges are polished and beveled for the best fit and finish. i mean can u honestly expect a company to cover damages to ur house? were playing with glass boxes held together with silicone lol, and hundreds of pounds o water lol. i mean look at sealifes 500G, sure it 1\" glass but still thats close to 5000 lbs!!!!!
oh and if ur really worried about it add coverage to ur home insurance, i did and its like 20 bucks a year :)

oh yea i really understand the whole warrenty thing,
i just didnt expect it, and i need to think about it for abit...