Phil's 90 Gallon Build Thread

100gallon

Starting my thread!
uploadfromtaptalk1406346925843.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1406346938593.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1406346947363.jpg

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
I hate to burst your bubble. But your baffles maybe a bit tall. It's not going to allow for much back siphoning when the power is cut. I personally would've gone about 2"-4" shorter on all the baffles.

100gallon

The return line will have a check valve closer to the sump to limit flow that way. My Durso will limit any further flow from the top. My inlet line volume will be the problem I think from the dt. There is a gap of three mills on top of the highest baffles which will allow for some spill over to each chamber but any more than that it will be soggy....:(

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
If I understand your sump, in the picture, the left is the drain from the tank, then the right is the return to tank. If that is the case, just remove the 3rd baffle (counting left to right) and cut it down. I leave my sump at 9" and I think most make them 8" to 10" as recommended for most skimmers. So again, just remove that third baffle and get it cut down to 9" or so, then re-silicone it in place and you will be rocking.

100gallon

Actually Ur looking at the back of the sump. Inlet side in that pic is the right side. Then return on the left. Does the logic still apply, just in reverse?

100gallon

I forgot to mention my skimmer sits on the floor outside of the sump. I can't fit it in...lol...no jokes. It is a massive turboflotor 5000 shorty II. Make any difference about sump height?

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
So water enters on the right side in the picture. Ok, if that is the case, remove and cut down the first baffle (if looking at the pic from left to right) or the last baffle in the sump. The blue line is where your water level would be through the sump. Cut down the baffle marked in purple. I would still stick to 8-10", nice if you want to do a small fuge or even just frag rack down there.

rbdxe1.jpg

100gallon

Holy! Thanks for the info torx! I will see what I can come up with

100gallon

So do you think it would be necessary to cut the other baffle too...Second from the right.?

100gallon

Sorry....The right side of the tank where water enters it flows under the baffle then like torx said for left side it flows up and over the baffle. If I need to cut the left side baffle would I need to cut that same baffle down for the right side one to make it similar? I don't mean to confuse this!! The one I mean is third baffle from the left.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
You don't "need" to cut the third baffle. But I personally would. The water may have a bit of a distance to fall and may cause small bubbles and because of the small size of the sump. The bubble will probable make it to the return pump and into the tank.

I'd personally cut all your baffles down. 3mm from the top of the highest baffle to the top of the sump doesn't sound like much room for overflowing water if say your filter floss would plug. If you're going through the trouble of taking one baffle out. You may as well take them all out and trim them back a bit. Just my opinion and what I'd do. But it may work just fine

100gallon

Ok baffles cut back out...Now need to get em trimmed from 10" to 8"!

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Good to hear! You'll have a lot less troubles after it's trimmed.

What are the measurements of the sump, baffles, and your spacing. Spacing the baffles is just as important. Keep in mind that if you're going to be pushing close to 1000 gph, the water might just be rushing under and over those baffles. Which could cause a lot turbulence if you're planning a small fuge or frag zone.