Phil's 90 Gallon Build Thread

100gallon

It is a standard 20 gallon long. Baffles are 10x12 and soon to be 8"...I think the spacing is 1.5" to 1.75" between baffles. I will be returning from sump with a mag 12. I am feeding my skimmer with a water blaster 3000..what is the common spacing for baffles? I also have A 5 gallon I was going to have sitting on top of this sump with my drain split with a t from the dt trickling into chaeto and crushed coral. I was going to drill a drain from it to the sump. Any thoughts on that?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last edited:

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Sounds good. I would go 1.75" for spacing. And the extra 5 gal tank is a good idea for sand and cheato. Just "T" off the main feed line with a ball valve to feed the 5 and maybe run reactors. You'll have plenty of flow from the mag12

100gallon

So u think I should just t off main drain line and run my reactors off the 5? Then the line from them would go to sump? Is there any benefit to reactor placement before or after skimmer? Would I be removing what they are doing by having them dump into the skimmer area?

100gallon

With the help of EricTMah I have my sump designed. I am going to plumb it all tomorrow. I made a rookie mistake and ordered a Durso that is 1.5" and I need a 1"...

100gallon

Anyone looking for a 1.5 Durso with a 19" height lol...I may try a reducer and see how that works or just make a new one.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
CPVC will work. I've used it on tanks before. And yes it will work with reg PVC fittings as well.

Take your time with the plumbing. Make sure when you glue the fittings together, to give it a 1/4 of a turn once you push the fittings together to seat the glue. Measure twice and cut once!

Glad to hear I could help. I'm always happy to help people avoid future problems. Happy to hear your sump is done and the tank is coming along nicely.

100gallon

So more bad news. The bulkhead is actually 1.25". I got a threaded barb because 1" is too small, 1.5" is too big, and the 1.25 threads right in. Since its a custom tank, I wonder when the thing was built if it has an odd ball bulk head thrown in it.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
lol
NP. 3/4" will work just fine for all your return lines along with that manifold pic I sent ya. You might just need to reduce down on the manifold ball valves to the proper sized barb fittings to make your reactors connect up. But I'd leave the rest of your returns at 3/4"

100gallon

And found a fitting to make my Durso work. As if it's a 1.25"!! I went to pool supply place and got a bushing to take 1.5 pipe and thread into 1.25