Phil's 90g SPS dominant reef (aka The Electric Reef Project)

curiousphil

Super Active Member
First try at macro shots with the new camera....

BS Jimmy Bean tabling acro:

A. plana crayola:

Sunset Montipora:

Orange Cush Acan Echinata:

Red Dragon:

A. aculeus:

A. tortuosa:

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Continuing to process my shots from last night... more:

A. abrotanoides

A. aculeus close-up crop

MRT sunset mille (so hard to photograph!!)

Peach/green mille

Fire and ice prostrata

A. loripes

ORA pearlberry

My Pet Monster humilis

Random pink zoa

Yellow efflo

MRT/DV limeade nasuta

Unidentified acro (chime in pls if you have a clue)

curiousphil

Super Active Member
And more lol...

Green cap which has recently developed blue polyps

Electric boogaloo zoas

Red cap - notice the tube worm growing up through the coral in the upper right... lol

My Dory

The clowns

Two face frogspawn

MRT/DV candlelight

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Found an asterina starfish munching on my Boogaloo zoas the other night :( it did some serious damage!  Used a baster to suck it off and get rid of it. Hoping the zoa recovers - none of the heads are totally gone but some of the polyps on the heads appear to have been eaten/mangled.

Took a few crappy cell pics that I wanted to share.

Picked up a purple light saber frag from BA this weekend:
8y4e5yqy.jpg

Banana tabler is spreading its base like mad:
uveta9e6.jpg

A. Loripes is taking off very nicely too:
vatu2a7e.jpg

eteruhe7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

jroovers

Super Active Member
Looking great Phil!  Corals all look happy.  You've got some fantastic photos, looks like you are getting the hang of the new lens.  What lighting are you taking the pictures under?  The pieces you got from me, especially the MPM, look a lot different, but super healthy, just different colour wise. 

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Thanks Jordan :) I've been taking the pics with all LEDs maxed and the T5s on.  The MPM definitely looks way different than yours... it really paled out after I added it to my tank but the purple base colouration has started to somewhat return over the past couple of months, especially on the new growth which is beginning to encrust the surrounding rock.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Oh yeah, I forgot about that!  It has deepened in colour very nicely.  Growing great too - almost encrusted over the epoxy and the branches are slowly extending up and outwards :D.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
benzzz link said:
Has the polyps come out yet on your nasuta?
Sadly, no! The base is slowly encrusting out though, so I have hope.  Funny that you brought that up as I was just talking about that with reef hero last night!

reeferkeeper420 link said:
Awesome thread!

Thanks man :D your tank looks like it's doing great also.

---------

I actually came here to do a quick update and didn't realize I had some replies in here!  Yesterday was a busy day for me... went to Wonderland for the day and then met up with Jerry and Ben in the evening. Got a balling light package from Jerry and four new frags from Ben: Tyree Pink Lemonade, RR Orange Passion, Vivids Rainbow Delight and MRT Northern Delight. Got the GHL doser setup this morning and the frags are sitting on the rack for a short while.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Your tank was looking awesome. By far the nicest I have seen a setosa look in a tank. Keep up the awesome work and let's see some pics of those new frags ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benzzz

Yeah Long told me at MJC that it may take a couple weeks to settle in and then they will come out. I am patiently waiting as well....

curiousphil

Super Active Member
unibob said:
Your tank was looking awesome. By far the nicest I have seen a setosa look in a tank. Keep up the awesome work and let's see some pics of those new frags ;)

Thanks Jerry! I definitely like how the setosa looks in my tank. I'm a big fan of the pink hue I'm getting rather than the orange/red I see in other places. And it's a great grower, I've got tiny pieces that have broken off spread throughout the tank and they are all now at least the size of the original frag I got a year ago. This time next year I expect I will have a problem with this stuff growing on everything! Not necessarily a bad problem, but a problem nonetheless lol.

benzzz said:
Yeah Long told me at MJC that it may take a couple weeks to settle in and then they will come out. I am patiently waiting as well....

I had polyps for the first few days, but now it's been almost two months with none in sight! :s But I'm sure it will settle in, the fact that it is encrusting is very encouraging. It also took many months for my tort to show any polyp extension at all, plus it experienced a bit of base recession, but now it's right up there among the happiest corals in my tank - polyps are constantly out in full force and it's encrusted back down over the skeleton that was exposed.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Wow, I just realized that it's been ages since I updated this thread. So here goes...

I'm now dosing 84 ml of two part daily and 90 ml of vinegar daily. This balling kit I got from Jerry is the best piece of reefing equipment I've ever purchased! I'm still dialing in my dosing Amounts because it seems that every time I raise them, the params are stable for about a week and then start dropping. I'm certainly not complaining! I can see that my corals all growing steadily. The birdsnest frag I got just under a year ago is unrecognizable. My humilis has encrusted over the entire top of the rocl its on ans is starting to sprout stubby little branches. I'm very very pleased with the last couple months' progress!

Here's some blah phone pictures. I've got a bunch on the Nikon that need to be downloaded and processed which I will try and get to sometime over the next week.

My Pet Monster Humilis shots:
3bc0d9d8d87227654ee93cd32f8b58e3.jpg
33a5baf969860e246385f34b4258558c.jpg
84812b2be5c49cb82f11d863943fe795.jpg

Hawkins:
2b53511639a2ef35b0085a9eaae1ff2d.jpg

Purple Lightsaber:
fb0ab3e96cca00dde973ce9322d14cb4.jpg

Vivid's Rainbow Delight:
b492be47d65e3e3e864461f0ad8df865.jpg

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Sour Apple Birdsnest: (This wad just a single twig when I got it!)
0010f3f96c1d290979e9f8a56cc46c91.jpg

Hulk Aculeus: (Slowly growing, not very different. This things glows so freakin bright!)
7be2c203b9ed405ea870c0f7d162f242.jpg

Aussie Branching Duncan:
e207f788a87073c614fe3232dab7811c.jpg

Fire and Ice Digi: (Superman maybe? Blue base and red polyps. But that isn't what it was sold as so dunno.)
e1ba42f5b605691f4c4a89a236a46d89.jpg

Purple Digi:
6b8c6c2c1ae394d041b574dbadfa409d.jpg

Cobalt Tort: (I actually suspect Miyagi due to the green base below the corralites)
41fa74bc67e04f0fdd512812742225d0.jpg

Red Dragon: (Look back a page or two to see the growth difference - it's astounding!)
e3f8ac510029d8303109f9b797665305.jpg

Last edited:

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Jimmy Beam tabler: (Growing outwards rapidly. Sunset Mille and DV Limeade visible in background.)
41bde7fc095d270bbcae7c427ca83697.jpg

MJC Banana Split Acro: (Another rapid grower - just glued this down with epoxy a month ago and it's already encrusted down onto the rock. The branches are also steadily getting longer.)
04d95b886ed1949774d40e2d528c683b.jpg

21f01e7c13a6c696cc904201a7fad60a.jpg

DV Candlelight: (another good grower)
e6aabd98889a2c88fc36105c2b6bb535.jpg

And an FTS to top it all off!:
7f099a0ab3be384d55841fdf3ee8a43d.jpg

curiousphil

Super Active Member
that birdsnest looks an awful lot like a hummer
LOL I just noticed that as I was reviewing the posts. Not sure what happened there as I don't have any hummer pics on my phone.... must have uploaded the pic at the same moment as another Tapatalk user or something. I 've fixed it.

Also forgot these two!

RR Orange Passion! Horrible photo representation. It's much more blue and orange in person.
493c2780a80bf3e8eddccc41f991ac59.jpg

Tyree Pink Lemonade: (Another horrible photo. I can't properly capture the yellow base even with my Nikon DSLR and white balance correction.)
c9e53b4f376c57d664e7ecc0d69a9601.jpg