Phil's 90g SPS dominant reef (aka The Electric Reef Project)

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Had to connect the chiller yesterday, temps started climbing above 80.

I've got a little bit of an electrical nightmare on my hands now... I really need to get things cleaned up ASAP. With the amount of power I'm now pulling out of the wall I don't feel entirely comfortable with my black powercord octopus situation anymore, with components running out of a total of 4 power bars and only two plugs into the wall. A few minutes after the chiller kicked on yesterday I discovered the maximum amount of current that my main power bar could handle - the internal breaker tripped. I changed the chiller to run straight out of the wall and that fixed the issue, system ran smoothly after that.

So at some point in the near future I guess I'm going to install a pair of new breakers and run cord out to a new set of GFCI electrical outlets beside the tank. And I think I'd like to get an APEX with a pair of EB8 power bars to replace my existing power bars. Then I can have the T5's on one schedule, the MH on another, and use 1 temp probe to control both the heater and chiller. Maybe around Christmas time I'll have the time and funds to do this.... (I love the financial freedom of not being a father yet! That won't last more than another year or two...)

Aside from the new power and heat challenges I am very pleased with how the tank looks. The XM 20Ks blend in perfect with the Radium bulb and the tank colour is very similar to what I was getting with the LEDs. I had read that using these bulbs with eballasts (which is what I'm using) would result in a washed out, overly-blue look - but I'm not finding that.... which is interesting. I guess it depends on the individual's expectations.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Loripes is starting to bleach at the tips so I reduced the photoperiod to 2.5 hours. I'll give things a few weeks to respond before starting to increase it again.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
I'm not really sure what happened, but about 2 weeks before making the lighting switch I noticed a concerning change in many of my SPS corals. The skin started bubbling! After doing a lot of reading online, it seems that it's a relatively common problem, but nobody can come to a consensus on what causes it. Some people reported that the bubbling corresponded with low salinity, low magnesium, high magnesium, carbon dosing, and the list goes on. I did find more than a couple references to carbon dosing, however, and the skin bubbles did appear around the same time as I had bumped up my dose and was beginning to experience bacterial blooms in the form of stringy colonies all over my rockwork, so I decided to eliminate one thing at a time and back off the vinegar dosing.

I first backed off by maybe 20 ml, then another 20 ml several days later, and then some more - until the stringy colonies disappeared. The skin bubbles remained, so I decided to cease dosing vinegar altogether last week. The skin on most of my SPS is beginning to settle back down to normal, but still not there yet. Some corals seem unaffected by the bubbles, but the bubbles have definitely had an adverse effect on several pieces. My candlelight acro swelled up like a toasted marshmallow, and several of those bubbles have popped - exposing skeleton. It's bizarre though, the skeleton hasn't been exposed in the same manner as if tissue necrosis had occurred, there is still colour there... but I can see the outline of the corralite structure. It seems that the tissue stuck to the skeleton after it popped and is mostly reattaching and growing.

Like I said above, I have no idea what happened. Whether it was the vinegar dosing - or if something got into my tank - all I can do is exercise my patience, sit back, and see what happens. Have continued my regular water changes, except changing a little bit more than I normally would, and stopped the vinegar dosing. I don't believe the lighting change has had any effect, as the bubbling was already at it's worst when I installed the halides. So there's nothing else I can really do.... that I can think of!

Anyways just thought I'd share that experience with you guys. One week things can be going great, and the next week BAM - problem. My corals were looking healthier than ever and growing at a steady pace just over a month ago, and now I'm praying for recovery.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Looks great! Haven't placed it in the rock work yet... got one of AdInfinitum's indestructible green acros and ended up putting it where I planned to put the big red acro. I have a few ideas in mind for big red but need some more glue lol.

It seems that my millepora-esque acros and smooth skins were immune from whatever the bubbling thing is. The candlelight, Aculeus and pink lemonade are the most affected... purple lightsaber has some bubbly polyps but is still growing!

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Ha... so. It seems that the old rule of "bad things come in three" is in effect. First the LEDs burned out, then the weird bubbling thing (which is mostly cleared up), and now the tank is leaking!!!

Not a super bad leak but a leak nonetheless. Every day there is a small trail of water going from the back left corner of my tank to the drain in my basement floor which is right around the corner from the tank.

This is a good and a bad thing again, like the lights. A shitty situation that provides a wonderful opportunity. An opportunity to correct some wrongs and hopefully make further improvements.

I was talking to my spouse at the breakfast table this morning, and to my surprise she actually encouraged me to upgrade and "do it right"! The downside is that we looked at some tank prices and realized that the upgrade I want might be out of my immediate reach ($2k for a 72x30x24 tank). The upside is that I wasn't told no due to space reasons! Lol. So that is still on the horizon maybe next year when we turn the downstairs kitchen into a rec room.

Right now, what I can do that is cheap and easy to resolve the leak issue and give myself time to save for the big tank, is swap over my stuff to her 90 gallon freshwater and hook her up with a smaller tank. She hasn't really been as into it a as she thought she was going to be when she decided to set it up. All the plants died when I went away for a week last month and I wasn't able to give the lights their daily jiggle to turn them on. So this should give me the opportunity to fix two things that currently bug me about my tank: the overflow and the piping. Because my tank leak is not extreme I can take my time with the setup. This is my plan:
-Drain the other 90, give it a good thorough cleaning
-Drill three holes through the back for water to flow into an external glass overflow box
-Silicone in an extremely thin coast to coast glass weir, the full 48 inches. Just needs to be deep enough to give some space between the bulkheads and the glass. My existing overflow box really bugs me because of how deep it is - it casts a huge shadow and renders that part of the tank unusable.
-Install a beananimal drain into the external overflow.
-Use *PVC* piping instead of ABS this time.
-Get a metal frame stand for this tank... that way if it leaks (fingers crossed that it won't!!) I don't have to worry about the structure of the stand being compromised. I'm terrified that my current stand will fall apart before I can make the transfer - the left side is consistently damp...
-Fill the tank with old water from the current tank when I do a water change. Add sand bed, let cycle if one happens.
-Transfer livestock

I'm thinking I should be able to replicate things the aqua scape closely by moving the top rocks into Rubbermaid tubs and buckets temporarily, then moving the bottom rocks directly from old tank to new tank, then taking the top rocks out of the tubs and putting them in the new tank on top of the bottom rocks...

Hopefully I can move things over without any losses by going slow and using as much water as I can from the existing tank. This will probably happen over the course of the next two months.

The only part of this plan I may change is getting a new 180 instead of taking over Beth's 90..........

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Im guessing you probably checked the forsale threads? Any in there that interest you at all? Sorry to hear this, its definately true about things happening in 3s, mine happens in groups of 20s if something goes on in my reef lol. Hopefully everything works out.

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
Sorry to hear you have problem with your tank, but if you want an upgrade to 72x30x24 good idea, wonderful size if you have the room for it. Call John from north American fish breeder, he build your tank size, uro bracing too for 900 cash, you have to make your own stand tho. Me and my buddy had our tank build there and I am pretty sure 900 is the price. Hope this help

KBennett

[removed:Torx] usually has sales on their big tanks.... In August/September I think..

I got $400 off my 220 gallon when I got mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Yeah it seems that 30 deep is not a standard size. Closest non-custom I could find is a Perfecto 300 which is 72x36x27 which is what dings in at 2 grand new (1899 before tax).

Big Als is family for me so I'm more or less forbidden from giving IA any business lol. Plus I could probably get a better discount at BA anyways.

Still up in the air about upgrading now or just doing a transfer to the other 90... leaning towards an upgrade but I dunno. Am trying to save for an engagement ring and a wedding and a trip to Paris at the moment lol so this is kind of bad timing for that damn leak. But upgrading now would male the most sense instead of transferring now and the upgrading when we reno the basement next year... decisions, decisions...

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
My tank size is perfect for you and is a nice upgrade, you can use all your old equipment including your light, 60x30x24, I pay only 600 brand new