Photos from my 120

jroovers

Super Active Member
Poseidon link said:
sooooo much room on that sand bed for nice brains ... :)
get a couple small welso... would pop in your tank!

I was thinking about a plate coral potentially, but I think after I add a hammer and/or goniopora, the space will be filled in nicely but not look too cluttered, which is what I'm trying to stay away from.  There isn't as much room on the sand bed as there appears to be in the last two shots, although moving out that brain has created a large space for the time being.

Big_Als_London link said:
Excellent photos Jordan. That plana is awesome.

Yes it is, thanks again for getting it for me  ;D  Probably the nicest coral I've ever purchased when you consider the cost vs. size (great deal)

jroovers

Super Active Member
Thanks guys.  :)

Dan, I don't really don't do anything special husbandry wise, just try and feed twice daily (sometimes three on weekends), do a 10% water change once per week, change my GFO once a month, and otherwise try and vacuum the substrate and baste the corals alternatively with the water changes.  Sometimes I vacuum out my sump with a shop vac to remove detritus.  That is about it.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Thanks Derek. Tank is not looking too good at the moment. I have been overrun by red planaria and I finally used flatworm exit. I siphoned out as many as I could before using it, but still I had a major die off and my corals and fish are royally unhappy. The house stunk really bad for a day, still isn't 100% gone. I may lose a couple corals, hopefully not all of them. I did the treatment about 36 hours ago, I've done two water changes since then, been skimming wet, and have swapped out carbon twice out of my reactor, and also made an extra passive carbon filter out of a small plastic jug with small holes filled with carbon that I have under one of my drains in my sump. Fingers crossed.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
I've heard that the side of effects of flatworm exit out weigh the benefit of using it.. ( the decaying worms cause more trouble dead then alive)

That's terrible luck though :/ I feel for you

jroovers

Super Active Member
They were getting pretty bad, so I decided to use it, from what I had read and heard it is generally reef safe, although they do emit a toxin when they die. Even with siphoning them out first, there just must have been too many in there.

I may be on the verge of a full tank crash, red dragon went up in smoke, first casualty. Nothing more to do than continue to skim, do water changes, change the carbon, and hopefully ride it out.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
Eeep..... sorry to hear Jordan.... that really sucks man. After all is said and done let me know if you'd like any frags. The red dragon I got off you is doing fantastic and really growing, the others not growing as fast but I could always make a small frag for you - I'm sure you could grow them out in no time flat :).

jroovers

Super Active Member
Thanks guys. I'll see where things are at in a few days/weeks and go from there. Looks like my pearlberry frag is done, it had just started to get really nice colour and was encrusting and growing out. Hawkins looks rough too. Otherwise, things seem stable for the moment, I did another water change so I figure I've swapped out 45 gallons of about 145 total. Fingers crossed!

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Oh man that's awful.....

At one point when the planaria were covering everything in my tank I agonized over the decision wether or not to nuke them but I couldn't pull the trigger. I figured if there were thousand that I could see, there must be hundreds of thousands that I can't.... And eventually they just died back to the point that I have to search to find any visible during the day.

I'll call it a lucky guess and hindsight is always 20/20.

Your skills have been well enough demonstrated that at least you can look at the rebuilding process as essentially a sure thing. Getting back on the horse is easy when you know you can ride....

I would be happy to cut some pieces of anything if need be but hopefully your beautiful colonies can weather the storm.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Thanks for the offer Rob. I haven't been able to get rid of them since changing out my sandbed - whatever it was, that seemed to be the ticket to them thriving. They didn't go away and finally I decided to act. Oh well, lesson learned. I've been pretty lucky over the years, so I guess I was overdue. I always new flatworms were a threat to a SPS tank, I've always worried about AEFW though, not red planaria, ironic.

I may be moving soon so this issue may make my decision on what to do with my tank a little easier lol.

jroovers

Super Active Member
A small update. Lost 3/5 of my anthias, other 2 look like they are on their way out as well, as well as my foxface, and only 1 chromis strangely enough.

Pink lemonade colony has started to rtn, as has my undata in spots. A few other colonies are on the brink. Millis look like they are rebounding slightly.