Poor Service And Communication From Jt Acrylics

Josh

Over the winter I decided I wanted to build a 36x36x12" frag tank. I remembered meeting Jon at my first Fragfest in 2017, so I decided that I would go with the local member. I contacted Jon and after a week or so he contacted me back that he could take on the project and after a bit of back and forth he explains to me that it was a 2-3 week lead time as soon as deposit was received. I EMT'd the full amount even though he had only asked for 85%, he explained that he gets burned by people not picking up their things and never paying. I replied back that I fully understand and I instantly pay for the entire project. On March 13th he accepted the full payment.

After 10 days on March 23rd I emailed him back and asked if the tank would be done by Easter (March 31st) because I would be in Toronto that weekend and could possibly be a good pickup date. I never received a response. I knew he was busy with the Niagara coral show so i thought nothing of it.

After another 2-3 weeks passed with no communication from JT I began to worry that I wouldn’t get the tank early enough to have it cycled for fragfest in London. I think at this point this is pretty bad customer service but again have faith in the project. On April 18th I email JT again asking for an update to which I have yet to receive a response.

On May 1st I email JT once again this time letting him know that I’m pretty unhappy with how things are going. Then on May 3rd I left a couple of voicemails at his company voicemail (shocker nobody answered the phone).

At this point after discussing this with a friend of mine I decided to give myself an internal deadline, if by Sunday may 6th I had not heard from JT I would make this post about my experience.

On May 5th another email was sent, I also called again no answer. I also sent him a message on the forum just as a 3rd way of getting in contact with JT, however that hasn’t worked either.

At this point my last few emails that I have sent him have been me telling him that I expect him to bring the frag tank to fragfest because after all of this and the fact he has had my money for 2 months. It’s only fair he covers the delivery and travel cost to get it to me, instead of me driving to Toronto to pick it up.

I am not sure I will even receive the tank at fragfest at this point and I have lost faith that he will even contact me back at this point. I am at my wits end it’s been 6 weeks since he responded to me. It baffles me that he would treat me this way when he’s supposed to be a community member and a “great” supplier.

It pains me that I feel that I have to make this post here but It’s time for @J_T to man up to this situation and make things right and have the tank ready and delivered to me at fragfest. This has dragged out way too long with poor communication and poor customer service. I paid for the tank in full over 8 weeks ago at which time I was told that it would take 2-3 weeks to complete.

Gill

I had a similar experience with a mesh lid. Ordered and paid beginning of September I gave him measurements of my tank and when I picked it up at the brantford show he told me he went with the measurements he found online. Well it was an inch to big. He said he’d get to it as soon as possible. 107 days later and 2 failed attempts at making it what I wanted I finally picked it up mid January. Had terrible communication with Jon. I haven’t dealt with adaptive reef but they done the Coral Reef Shop show frag tanks and the craftsmanship was fantastic on them. Definitely higher end products from adaptive reef.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

harleymike

Super Active Member
Poor customer service is very common it seams. I have had similar experience with other business's. Dealing with Saltwater and otherwise.
Couple of them are members on here. Made promises, said they would get prices then I never heard from them. Messaged them and got nothing.
I believe calling them out on there service publicly is a great idea. Maybe they will learn a lesson and it might put a scare into others.

I think from now on, when I get poor service.I am going to start posting it on Social Media.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
There is nothing wrong with posting about experiences with vendors, good or bad. But please make sure it is a legitimate complaint. Make sure it is well written and preferable if there is documentation to back it up. If it is questionable, do not hesitate to message me a copy before you post it. Most sites do not allow negative reviews to be posted about products or vendors due to their financial contributions to the site and administrators. That is the primary reason why we do not have a lot of stores and companies posting here. If someone contacts us and demands that no negative reviews be posted, then no reviews will be posted. Much like a recent retailer where everything including good reviews were removed. most of the remaining vendors are very responsive to the reviews.

Gill

Poor customer service is very common it seams. I have had similar experience with other business's. Dealing with Saltwater and otherwise.
Couple of them are members on here. Made promises, said they would get prices then I never heard from them. Messaged them and got nothing.
I believe calling them out on there service publicly is a great idea. Maybe they will learn a lesson and it might put a scare into others.

I think from now on, when I get poor service.I am going to start posting it on Social Media.

If your not on ontario reef keepers Facebook group, you should join. It’s no filter, call them out no bs kind of group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kapelan

There is nothing wrong with posting about experiences with vendors, good or bad. But please make sure it is a legitimate complaint. Make sure it is well written and preferable if there is documentation to back it up. If it is questionable, do not hesitate to message me a copy before you post it. Most sites do not allow negative reviews to be posted about products or vendors due to their financial contributions to the site and administrators. That is the primary reason why we do not have a lot of stores and companies posting here. If someone contacts us and demands that no negative reviews be posted, then no reviews will be posted. Much like a recent retailer where everything including good reviews were removed. most of the remaining vendors are very responsive to the reviews.
The more negative posts the bigger support they have to provide, make sense.
it makes not responsible vendors spend money to website.

harleymike

Super Active Member
A Vendor asking to join a site, makes a donation. Then specifies that no one can post a negative comment. HMMMM Thats blackmail isn't it.
I don't think I want that kind of Vendor on a site I go to.
All Business have some bad days, and I sift through the BS. But a vendor with a constant neg. issue sends up red flags. I would want to know this before I spend my money there.

The vendor that was commented on about in this post is a good example. The original complaint was one thing. I though ok, something has happened. Probably has a good excuse. But then as more people come forward and post complaints. Well this sends red flags up. Now i have a concern with this vendor. I think these are the things we need to know as a group. To help each other out.
Now if a Vendor wants to defend himself and comes clean than I am ok with that. People sometimes fail,and grow from that.

I would welcome this vendor to post and explain the issues and come clean. I would respect that.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
A Vendor asking to join a site, makes a donation. Then specifies that no one can post a negative comment. HMMMM Thats blackmail isn't it.
I don't think I want that kind of Vendor on a site I go to.

Havent you noticed that vendors have stopped posting just about everywhere? The only really active one here is sustainablemarinecanada, over on Reef Escape you have Coral Reef Shop, but that is about it. They have all moved to free social media. Try and find bad reviews about places.

On a side note about Jon, aquaria isnt his only avenue. It is unfortunate that this has happened to several people. But I also know a dozens of compliments and return customers for each complaint that I have seen. I am sorry that the post had to be made, but I am glad that he has finally reached out to Josh to remedy it. I hope the others have been remedied as well.

Josh

I am on the road to happiness, and honestly now that i know its coming ive already built the stand for it and im super excited for big things to come!

8k8BqI4.jpg

Josh

Well things got worse, so here's a little update on the whole situation.

I went to test my bulkheads which i drilled a good 3 weeks after i got the frag tank and the overflow box leaks.... You can see big bubbles and leaks in ~2-3 places.

I emailed Jon and asked him to send me out 2 types of acrylic weld-on and i would fix the thing myself. It has been at least 4 days and no response whatsoever to an email tagged "frag tank leaking reply asap"

I got frustrated on Tuesday and decided for ~40 dollars i would just order the 2 types of weld-on delivered to my door. They arrived today. I am going to attempt to fix it this weekend. I still dont know that the tank will hold a full column of water either.... That hasn't even been fully water tested.

I cant believe how brutal this entire process has been start to finish. I got over all the crap about delivery dates and all that. But when i got the tank home and it had tonnes of acrylic dust and shavings it basically told me he didn't even bother to leak-test it. At fragfest in London he fed me a pile of crap about how this is secondary income to his work doing custom work for hospitals. It is clear that this side of his business is not important at all to him.

This entire process has been super frustrating and i cannot stress enough to anyone considering using him for any aquarium work. DO NOT. If you don't believe everything I've gone through go check the Facebook groups and you will see MULTIPLE people saying the exact same things as me.

I hope this post stops anyone from ever contacting him regarding acrylic work for an aquarium. @J_T , feel free to respond here but i dont think responding to issues is your strong point so let this sit here as a beacon to anyone looking for acrylic work.

Extremely frustrated,

Josh

[KRAFTIG]

Sorry to hear the misery has been extended. I've read many posts, including yours. Won't touch him with 50' pole!

Josh

If anyone has any advice about trying to "seep" in some weld-on 4 into the cracks that are leaking I would appreciate it. The rough plan right now is to use weldon 4 to try and seep into the crack then to use weldon 16 to put a bead around the seams like you would with silicone.