Poor Service And Communication From Jt Acrylics

shamous113

If anyone has any advice about trying to "seep" in some weld-on 4 into the cracks that are leaking I would appreciate it. The rough plan right now is to use weldon 4 to try and seep into the crack then to use weldon 16 to put a bead around the seams like you would with silicone.
This is probably the best plan of action, prop the tank up so that the panels that your adding glue too are sitting at a 45deg and do one joint at a time and id go over all of the seams on the tank.

Josh

Yup sounds like a good plan, was also going to try and find some type of needle applicator syringe to get it directed properly.

Matt1997

Yup sounds like a good plan, was also going to try and find some type of needle applicator syringe to get it directed properly.
This is all you need right here. Use a 25 gauge applicator needle on an applicator bottle or syringe. 22 gauge will let out to much solvent. I’m guessing it’s 1/4” acrylic. The solvent will be pulled into the seam. I also recommend going on a 45 degree angle but add a brace that won’t allow the seam/box to slip out of place. May not occur on such a small tank. When the Weldon 4 is added it will melt the acrylic, this can allow the panel to shift. As for the Weldon 16, apply it like silicone, I suggest getting a fine tip applicator for it and run a small bead. Here is a pic of the Weldon 4, applicator bottle, 25 gauge needle, 16, and fine tip nozzle. All can be purchased cheaply at plasticworld, or fabco. Fabco usually has better pricing. Other than that it’s extremely easy to do. On a lot of these overflow boxes you will actually see silicone instead of them being welded as when pressure is equalized on both sides silicone does just fine to seal them.

Attachments

• 95D3FCB7-AD43-4C85-B348-6E31A55612C2.jpeg
    95D3FCB7-AD43-4C85-B348-6E31A55612C2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 114

Josh

Thanks matt. I got my Weldon from plastic world. Im going to use my applicator from my aiptasiaX it's pretty fine and has a 45 degree bend on it which will make it much easier to apply. The applicator is about the size of a basketball fill needle. Didnt realize the Weldon triggered an exothermic reaction and could possibly shift the acrylic on me. Only going to do 1 seam at a time and just do a seam every couple hours over the course of the weekend.

Wish me luck folks will be my first time doing something like this

Josh

Its had lots of time to dry and i hit the seams with a compressed air can i use to clean electronics. That should be enough yes?

Josh

It seeped in REALLY well, the bubble sucked it all in and filled all the bubbles. Looks like i got this thing sealed. How long do i leave it before it take a water leak test? When can i apply the 16

Matt1997

It seeped in REALLY well, the bubble sucked it all in and filled all the bubbles. Looks like i got this thing sealed. How long do i leave it before it take a water leak test? When can i apply the 16
Give it 24 hours before leak testing. For the 16 you can apply it right after the weldon 4 is evaporated. If you apply the 16 when the 4 is not evaporated the 16 will have a lot of bubbles. You can safety do it after 4 hours, likely sooner but to be safe go with 4. Apply weldon 16 slowly or else your seam will be full of bubbles.

Josh

I never wanted to see this thread or update this ever again, however people deserve to know what they would be buying from JT.

So the frag tank let go last night and flooded my basement, i woke up this morning to the tank making weird noises and found half the water on the floor from 1 of the seams.

I tried to be as nice as possible about all my issues with Jon but fuck that, do not buy from this person.

For the love of god DO NOT DO IT.

Now i get to go suck water out of my floor, thanks Jon.

Josh

Managed to save most of the coral. It's Nice having a 50g open sump i just pulled all the equipment tossed 2/3 of the frag racks in there. Most worried about the acans, the zoa's will do their thing.

Sue

I never wanted to see this thread or update this ever again, however people deserve to know what they would be buying from JT.

So the frag tank let go last night and flooded my basement, i woke up this morning to the tank making weird noises and found half the water on the floor from 1 of the seams.

I tried to be as nice as possible about all my issues with Jon but fuck that, do not buy from this person.

For the love of god DO NOT DO IT.

Now i get to go suck water out of my floor, thanks Jon.
Would be good to post some pics of the failed seam for any doubters.

Josh

He didnt even water test it before he delivered it. Still had plastic shavings from cuts still inside the tank. On initial leak check it leaked on 2 places on the overflow. I bought weldon 4+16 on @Matt1997 advice and resealed both spots as well as filled in a few other "This seal looks like shit" spots. Guess i should have resealed every single seam.

I ordered a bunch of weldon 4+16. Anybody have advice on how to fix this without tearing it entirely apart? Planning on cleaning it really well then hitting the spot that leaked with rubbing alcohol to clean it up then trying weldon 4 then do a 16 seam around the entire edge. I think im going to try and do every seam this way and see how it goes.

Weldon is a few days away so if anyone has any better ideas i would LOVE to hear about it.

@Sue Pictures dont really show much to be honest, its hard to see. I think if i dug through my phone i could probably find photos of massive air bubbles in the seams of the ones i fixed if people honestly doubted me but i dont really feel the need to appease doubters, if somebody wants to ignore this advice thats on them, ive seen alot of complaints in the year and a half since i got the tank.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
It would be difficult to fix unless the cracked seem is perfect. You would need to add a bracing bar around the perimeter of the tank most likely as well.

The tank he did for TFT had the acrylic shatter from the inside out. No idea how it would even happen. It wasnt even being used at the time. I also am waiting on a project from 3 years or so. I redid his website and took work for trade, never got the work. I stopped even asking after 2 years. I dont even need the item anymore as it was for the seahorse tank which is long gone

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Matt1997

I ordered a bunch of weldon 4+16. Anybody have advice on how to fix this without tearing it entirely apart? Planning on cleaning it really well then hitting the spot that leaked with rubbing alcohol to clean it up then trying weldon 4 then do a 16 seam around the entire edge. I think im going to try and do every seam this way and see how it goes.
If your redoing structural seams use weldon 40. It’s a 2 part polymer that’s used in the construction of larger acrylic tanks. Tilt the tank on edge and pour a fillet along the seam. Wait 8 hours and repeat for the rest of the seams.

tom55228

Inactive Since Crash
so sorry for your rotten luck , jt started out on gta aquaria as a great acrylic builder . I my self have had similar dealings with jt
the part that pissed me off is the lack of communication .no emails no phone calls this seems to be his way of business.
I understand when u have a full time job working for whomever doing what ever . then why take on jobs when people are looking for something .I have heard of many complaints and they all are exactly the same as the OP .should start a thread with jt cust complaints . I know there are jt supporters out there and so be it hes done great work for u and u got your work on time .with no hassles but there are lots of people out there who don't want to speak about it or go on social media . jt puts on a great front when he goes to shows he has a tonne of stuff he makes that makes us all go ga ga .. he talks like hes a champ but then u read these rants that hes gone ghost on someone . I am lucky I have not been taken by him for huge money or a project that is my dream job
all I ever wanted was a acrylic lid . im not here to bash the guy but it just seems that every so often I read about someone saying the exact same thing that he disappears and doesn't respond . in this day and age there is ways to refund people there money if u get busy .

anyways that's my rant

Josh

When i picked it up he told me it was such a small % of his business that he really doesnt care that much about it because printing "cafeteria trays" for hospitals was way better money. At the time i felt like putting that part of my post but decided it was petty.

I went pretty far out of my way to be professional about everything to be honest. Had the post checked over by a mod as well one other. I know this is the guys livelihood but damn..

Last edited: