Poor Service And Communication From Jt Acrylics

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
When i picked it up he told me it was such a small % of his business that he really doesnt care that much about it because printing "cafeteria trays" for hospitals was way better money. At the time i felt like putting that part of my post but decided it was petty.
He stated similar to me. I have seen a lot of his non aquarium work which looks great and functional. Aquarium is the smallest part of his business. For a long time he was the only guy I referred people to. Then all I started to get was complaints from people I sent. As mentioned above, I honestly gave up.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Amaroq

So here is the real question guys, why is he still allowed to operate on your forum and be a vendor at your events when you know he's being a scumbag and taking advantage of fellow hobbyists? We went through similar grief with Bill and all his drama but he is now done and gone from the hobby entirely. I'm not trying to be a prick here but don't you think as an admin you should be enforcing these things, even more so when you yourself were burnt by him? Its one thing to hold out judgement from your own experiences with him, which I do appreciate, but this is now YEARS he's been pulling this crap with multiple people saying the same thing. Would you allow a carpenter who builds garbage stands for hobbyists that all fail eventually to safely reside here ever gradually getting free potentially unsuspecting clientele? Where do we draw the line is what I'm asking I suppose, to me this feels more then sufficient and justifiable for permanent removal. If this is such a small portion of his business anyways he won't care to lose it, as if his actions didn't show that already..

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Very true words. He doesnt really do business here anymore and hasn't for quite some time. I dont believe in censoring people good or bad as long as people are being respectable. By keeping the info here it allows people to do their own research and make their own judgement call. If we deleted it, then no one would ever see it. Same goes at all the coral shows. Everyone is there telling stories and educating people about the different vendors. If he chooses to request removal or make threats like others have in the past, then we will remove the content, both negative and positive.

Matt1997

Question for those who have received work. Did he build it according to how you requested it? Did you choose the material thickness and bracing style or did you leave this up to him? I know from personal experience on failed builds that the majority of them have come from a request to do something against what was recommended. From a builders stand point, if the buyer requests it to be made a certain way it will be made that way. Most of us will suggest it be built differently but in the end it’s “custom work”. As in we build it how you want it. The customer is always right. Unfortunately, this can lead to loss/failure of a business, a destroyed reputation, and an angry customer.

Josh

I dont recall asking him to make me a piece of shit that will flood my floor lol. I'll have to check my emails.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Oh I forgot about my custom split water reservoir tank he did with my logo engraved. Logo was great but it started warping. Now that I know more about acrylic tanks I know needed a brace. It was never suggested either. I ended up just throwing it away without even bringing it up. It wasnt worth the over all frusteration, especially being so far away.

Copperkills

Question for those who have received work. Did he build it according to how you requested it? Did you choose the material thickness and bracing style or did you leave this up to him? I know from personal experience on failed builds that the majority of them have come from a request to do something against what was recommended. From a builders stand point, if the buyer requests it to be made a certain way it will be made that way. Most of us will suggest it be built differently but in the end it’s “custom work”. As in we build it how you want it. The customer is always right. Unfortunately, this can lead to loss/failure of a business, a destroyed reputation, and an angry customer.
See if it was me, I wouldn’t build someone something I knew would fail or they would be unhappy with. It’s my rep and I won’t let is suffer for a few $$. Just my two cents.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
See if it was me, I wouldn’t build someone something I knew would fail or they would be unhappy with. It’s my rep and I won’t let is suffer for a few $$. Just my two cents.
I know people who have, only they save the email warning about the failure and when the customer complains they post the emails lol. I save all my emails when it comes to printing for that exact reason

Amaroq

You've made some very valid points there TORX, I would entirely agree a paper trail is very helpful for everyone to make educated choices, both buyer and seller. I'm still of the opinion he shouldn't be allowed to due business here though considering the number of hands being raised in this one thread alone, and these are only the people speaking up. How many more have disappeared out of the hobby entirely after a potential seam burst and ruined god only knows what else in their house other then the aquarium. How many actually blamed themselves for that potential failure that we aren't hearing from?

I think its fair to say many forum members have leaned on you TORX for projects/opinions in the past and you've more then proven yourself as respectable and capable, would you expect yourself to be allowed on other forums if you were pulling this crap? This isn't to say no one is allowed to make mistakes in their craft, you just need to own them like a decent human being with a back bone of any real density. To me this whole thing reads like a guy making a buck on the side using lower quality material to bump up his margins up. A quality contractor stands behind his work and is proud of it. The customer is never always right, to say that is just an excuse for shoddy workmanship IMO. Refuse the job if it can't be done to what you know as proper quality standards. Does anyone genuinely think the buyer is gonna eat that responsibility, seriously? "Well I went to an expert and they gave me exactly what I dreamed/demanded after he told me it might not be good idea, but I'm sure the fault is my own for being so difficult, not theirs." Reads as pretty outlandish no?

Their difficult requests show exactly what their level of knowledge is on the subject, its your job as the goddamn expert taking their money to set them straight if their coming to YOU for YOUR work/opinion. If the customer won't bend an inch then tell them exactly why your refusing the job, and they'll either understand and respect you for it or will walk away and become someone elses headache. This is no different in my eyes from when a green hobbyists goes to a LFS and is sold every worthless product on the shelf because the employee knows that the customer has to trust their knowledge and likely won't be in it for the long haul anyways. I helped run a LFS for enough time to know exactly how uncomfortable it is to tell someone no, even more so when the owner is listening and expecting you to make a sale, not shut one down. Its the principle of the matter, if you care for your clientele they'll pay you back tenfold via word of mouth because they know they can trust you and your establishment. If your taking advantage of people you damn well better expect the world to find out, it will all come home to roost eventually boys.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Actually his account is overdue to be closed off either way. He hasn't been online since June 2018 which was about when I started hearing the bad reviews. Might have to close out his section, but leave this here obviously.

Matt1997

To him it’s an acrylic enclosure. Another job among thousands of jobs. You build the box to the specifications that are requested. You tell the customer that it’s not safe to do so yet they request it be done that way regardless. Classic story. Look how many threads ask the question “can I use _ thickness material for X size build. The manufacturer recommends _”.

You can say no to doing the work, I completely agree. He does not have an engineering degree nor can he calculate fluid dynamics of your system. In the end it comes down to experience and what he deems safe. There is no guidelines for acrylic work out there. It’s an extremely tough topic to research. The pros don’t release their secrets as they shouldn’t.

In my opinion the customer needs to take some responsibility for their work request. You can recommend adding braces or reinforcing the seams with rods but in the end it’s their build.

I am not saying that is the case here but I can tell you that has been the case in multiple stories I have heard. Anyways, sorry this happened to you @Josh. It really sucks to hear these kinds of stories. From someone who has had custom tanks fail on both ends of the spectrum as buyer and seller, I know the feeling. Hope it all works out for you buddy.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
To him it’s an acrylic enclosure. Another job among thousands of jobs. You build the box to the specifications that are requested. You tell the customer that it’s not safe to do so yet they request it be done that way regardless. Classic story. Look how many threads ask the question “can I use _ thickness material for X size build. The manufacturer recommends _”.

You can say no to doing the work, I completely agree. He does not have an engineering degree nor can he calculate fluid dynamics of your system. In the end it comes down to experience and what he deems safe. There is no guidelines for acrylic work out there. It’s an extremely tough topic to research. The pros don’t release their secrets as they shouldn’t.

In my opinion the customer needs to take some responsibility for their work request. You can recommend adding braces or reinforcing the seams with rods but in the end it’s their build.

I am not saying that is the case here but I can tell you that has been the case in multiple stories I have heard. Anyways, sorry this happened to you @Josh. It really sucks to hear these kinds of stories. From someone who has had custom tanks fail on both ends of the spectrum as buyer and seller, I know the feeling. Hope it all works out for you buddy.
To note, he never suggested any structural issues with my box. No customer is responsible for lack of knowledge. That is why we hire someone to do something. It is one thing if they are warned, but in most cases I have read with this manufacture, there is no warning or best practice advice. I have worked with other acrylic guys who right away say something wont work. If i chose to still do it, then that is on me.

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor

Shoddy work is still shoddy work