Poseidons 120g Acrylic Reef

Pipes

Yeah leave the Leafs alone...

Every one should start their kids off as Leaf fans!
That way they get use to disappointments in life!

Some of us just never move on.:(

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Stand is started at least. Needs more bracing, rear supports and a top.
Plan is the get the structure down and get the panels made.

I still don't really have a timeline yet. Just plugging away at everything til it's done haha.
d7f9f308a80a60672aea4f9175d45559.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Stand is started at least. Needs more bracing, rear supports and a top.
Plan is the get the structure down and get the panels made.

I still don't really have a timeline yet. Just plugging away at everything til it's done haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like it's a rebuilding year.

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
So i have decided to go ahead and add a 150-200g stock tank as part of this build.
i have to room in the basement and maximizing water volume is very ideal.

the display is going to to drain into the 50g acrylic sump were my skimmer, reactors, heater etc will be.
that sump will then drain via 2- 1.5'' drains into the stock tank, and will be returned to the display via a blueline 55 external pump

In the stock tank i will be adding as much rock as i can as well as a basket with macro.

it would also allow for a algea scrubber in the future if i move ahead with that.

My plan is to, by the time winter rolls around to rig up a heating system via my gas water heater the way @Pistol did his.
so this will allow for a large coil to be placed easily.

can anyone see any problems with this idea? any input is helpful! thanks!

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
The only advice I'd have is making sure you run a proper drain system from the 50g to the stock tank or you may get some gurgling from that drain as well.

Sony Xperia Z3

do a full siphon, and then a trickle drain?
thats what im planning on doing for the display as well. ( i dont have room for 3 drains)

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Seems like you'll have the room in the stock tank. You should make a rock zone with a boat load of mangroves.

I have 16 growing in my sump for a total water volume of about 240gals. Haven't been able to get po4 or no3 to register in close to 18 months.

Sony Xperia Z3

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Seems like you'll have the room in the stock tank. You should make a rock zone with a boat load of mangroves.

I have 16 growing in my sump for a total water volume of about 240gals. Haven't been able to get po4 or no3 to register in close to 18 months.

Sony Xperia Z3

thats the idea, have so much room i dont know what to do with it all :)
mangroves are a great idea. I dont know how low i want po4 and no3 though, i do plan on keeping a mixed reef focusing heavily on LPS, very little sps, just a few hardy species like birdsnest

my wife keeps bugging me about keeping a small shark and a stock tank MAY* allow for that potentially.

EricTMah

Aquariums by Design
Website
www.aquariumsbydesign.ca
Better to have too much then not enough. You can always feed heavier or even take your skimmer off a few days a week to help raise nutrients.

I'd say skip the shark. Temp difference between a shark tank and reef are different. And do you really want to keep a shark in captivity? I sure wouldn't.

Sony Xperia Z3

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Better to have too much then not enough. You can always feed heavier or even take your skimmer off a few days a week to help raise nutrients.

I'd say skip the shark. Temp difference between a shark tank and reef are different. And do you really want to keep a shark in captivity? I sure wouldn't.

Sony Xperia Z3
even a bamboo/shark egg approach to things?