Powder Blue Tang Problems.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
So after the additions of my wrasses, my pbt broke out in what seemed like ich at first but has gotten worse and doesnt seem like ich anymore. Alot of them are stringy looking, and hes hiding most of the time, still has great appetite, as thats the only time he comes out is when i kill the flow for feeding.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
hate to say it but that sounds like what my bristletooth tang had but i did cure him not sure how he looked at breakout as he was full blown covered in them by the time i got him from jeffopentax.... there are a multitude of worm pest that can create it but if it is different looking than anything you find on the net for flukes or similar pests then prob is the mystery disease.... i fresh water dip'd mine at 5 min intervals twice a week with water matching ph and qt'd it in copper at recommended levels for the first week then slowly increased over 3 weeks while running an airstone then a couple dips in methylene blue and after a couple weeks in new salt water he was fine as can be... hope that helps can send you step by step what i did and what brands i used if wanted is easy to calculate for different water volumes as well depending on qt size

Last edited:

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Well hes kind of always had this, off and on since i first added him. But this time its like when i first put him in. I dont know how ill keep him successfully qt'd.

SamB

Super Active Member
Post a new thread and ask for someone who can QT

There is a member called altcharacter on GTA Aquaria .com iwho keeps a 75 QT tank - bet he'd take him if you can get the PBT down to him. His name is Dave

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
i could get my 55 qt flowing again dont have to worry bout cycle cuz nothing lives in copper water lmao am not working much lately and am closer than gta i qt'd and medicated jeffs for him only reason i kept it was he didnt know if it was his system infected or just that fish and didnt want to risk harming a freshly saved fish.... dontthink you have had anything since then have you jeff???

so your other fish may be safe. i could only find 2 other instances on other forms and both those did not spread either.... very odd indeed i know. nobody professional could tell me unless i sent them a sample which wasnt about to happen lol

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Not sure how id catch the poor guy either, since him and the rabbitfish are now constantly hiding for some reason. I really dont want to lose the pbt, the rabbit wouldnt bother me that much, but still dont want to kill him.(even tho hes killed multiple lps pieces lol)

jeffopentax

Super Active Member
i qt'd and medicated jeffs for him only reason i kept it was he didnt know if it was his system infected or just that fish and didnt want to risk harming a freshly saved fish.... dontthink you have had anything since then have you jeff?
No, have not had any other fish end up with it. Think he kept whatever it was to himself :) Very generous of you to offer to help again!

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
No, have not had any other fish end up with it. Think he kept whatever it was to himself :) Very generous of you to offer to help again!
no problem man isnt that what these forums are suppose to be for lol :)

Not sure how id catch the poor guy either, since him and the rabbitfish are now constantly hiding for some reason. I really dont want to lose the pbt, the rabbit wouldnt bother me that much, but still dont want to kill him.(even tho hes killed multiple lps pieces lol)
Lol ya took me and jeff elbows deep with 3 nets and a hour of chasing/splashing eventually we tired him out and he was an easy scoop followed by a soaker lmao im sure his wife was not impressed with the carpet after lol besides my qt sits empty 90% of the time since i dont buy fish often cuz every one i get decides to live forever and will be a few months before i plan on what to add to the 90

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
no problem man isnt that what these forums are suppose to be for lol :)

Lol ya took me and jeff elbows deep with 3 nets and a hour of chasing/splashing eventually we tired him out and he was an easy scoop followed by a soaker lmao im sure his wife was not impressed with the carpet after lol besides my qt sits empty 90% of the time since i dont buy fish often cuz every one i get decides to live forever and will be a few months before i plan on what to add to the 90
And unfortunately i have no sump, so if i do catch him for you to medicate i have no where to keep him.. whats the best way to keep qts stable and ammonia free and without a cycle during the qt process?

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
And unfortunately i have no sump, so if i do catch him for you to medicate i have no where to keep him.. whats the best way to keep qts stable and ammonia free and without a cycle during the qt process?
dont know how effective just qt would be in this case but in a copper treated tank you just do water changes twice a week which allows you to easily up the dose slowly even just salt water will take a bit to dirty up badly long as you dont overfeed and same thing water changes

heath

Distinguished Member
Riley, not sure if this will help and I don't want to set on any toes.. I treated my bristle tooth with ICH-X ( formaldehyde) I raised the temp to 83 degrees (it speeds up the ich cycle) and lowered the salinity to 1.018/1.017. I did daily water changes in the morning and treated the tank at night just before I turned the lights off.. I also made garlic water( 4/5 cloves of crushed garlic and water from the tank) added that to their diet. The bristle tooth aka; handsome man, developed the thread like things that yours has, personally I think it the rest of the worms/parasites coming out, when he had he would shake like he was trying to shake them off..
There is a web site that discusses ich; www.chucksadditction.com/ich.html might be worth checking out.its a lot of reading I printed it off for future reference.. if you want to use the 10 gal tank let me know..good luck..