Powder Blue Tang Problems.

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
just fill it with saltwater and add a powerhead for circulation and an airpump hooked to an airstone. a couple peices of egg crate leaned against the side in a couple spots helps ease some stress by giving a hiding place but not everyone does that i just figure it helps a bit. i keep my med tank a lil lower temp even tho reef is 80 my qt i keep around 76-77 again helps to relax fish for many reasons but not necessarily needed. You will need a good copper test kit which every lfs should have around somewhere. I use cupramine and add 2 drops per every gallon then wait a full 48 hrs to mix before testing water or forget about accuracy at this point lol it should then read 0.5 mg/l acclimate him into it as it is a bit of a shocker for them. this level only provided relief and did not get rid of them barely at all.after the first week i raised it 2 drops on each weds and each friday on a 55 gal volume so depending on size of your qt tank you can adjust to match the rate of increase. stuff falls off each freshwater dip as well but only a few and copper seems to keep it away. You can keep raising slowly but if you notice fin rot starting or body sores or very odd behaviour stop raising as its stressing it too much and will most definately kill him.... best part is carbon will remove the copper from the water and quite fast i may add just make sure that water dont make it somehow to your tank any more than a splash can wreck havoc on inverts and corals as copper levels are toxic to most things that high.

I also do a methylene blue dip at the mid point and at end of treatment before i let sit in clean saltwater it helps in recovery and prevention big time and is even used in hospitals for certain things just follow bottle directions 5 teaspoons (not table spoons) per 3 gal of water let fish sit in it for 10 seconds then dip quick in freshwater to remove methylene and put back in tank. This stuff will not come out so dont get it on clothes or spouse will be as pissed as mine was :) if you dip in methylene blue it will dye areas of fishes skin blue but only where slime coat is lacking and fades after a week or so but is very handy stuff and even tho seachems cupramin says dont mix with other meds it is safe to use in conjunction with kordons methylene blue as stated by seachem in an email to me in response when i asked.... any other company woulda said NO BUY OUR PRODUCT, just goes to show seachems dedication to successful reefers

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
..... if only i was closer. but like another member said try another post im sure someone nearby may have one and enough experience medicating to give him a chance.

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Yeah none of my other fish seem to be affected. And hes had it off and on since he was first added when i got him from Darryl_V when he tore down his tank. I dont know if its something living in the tank or if its stress related, or even tang related..no clue.

heath

Distinguished Member
I would suspect that its stress related, you said that he was fine until you added more fish, are they chasing or bugging him..

hark

Ive got a 20 gallon QT tank already setup with low levels of copper, once he acclimates to it i could up the dose for you. I wouldnt mind trying to look after him for you if you cannot yourself.

but sounds like if you dont get him out, the prognosis isnt good

reeferkeeper420

Distinguished Member
Ive got a 20 gallon QT tank already setup with low levels of copper, once he acclimates to it i could up the dose for you. I wouldnt mind trying to look after him for you if you cannot yourself.

but sounds like if you dont get him out, the prognosis isnt good
I dont even know how id get him out to start lol. Hes reallly quick.

Kevin Tran

Super Active Member
Try light out(dark), have a flash light cover it with your hand to show very little light, just enough barely see him. Other hand with a net slowly scope him out. As long as he don't hide in the rock, it should be easy. When the light are on and all the sudden it goes dark, next thing he notes, he in the net lol. I have caught a few fish with this, it kinda fun:D. Light on the phone work too

heath

Distinguished Member
that is soo good to hear. my bristle tooth has had another out break, I pulled 2 of his tank mates today and within an hour it showed up.. He is getting moved on sat or sun, I have to say that I'm nervous..

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
well heres reeferkeeper420's powder blue temporary home :) water at temp air pump with stone running salinity and copper are in check now just gotta go pick him up at noon and get this guy fixed up.... im sure having a 55 all to himself will be a nice peaceful vacation
20150211_172215.jpg

scubasteve

Distinguished Member
UPDATE:
well got the tang home around 2:15 yesterday and let me tell ya ive caught 30lb salmon easier than him.... poor riley had to take pretty well half his lr out to be able to get him but we did.... so here is how he was looking. right off the bat loaded some nori sheet with garlic guard and veggie clipped it in.needless to say after being weary of it the first couple passes he sure demolished it. He has been taking the omega one pellets with garlic (only pellet food i ever buy every fish eats it right out the gate ) will be feeding him some mysis once i thaw them for the seahorses and my tank but jeres a pic from last night.
20150212_162423.jpg 20150212_162440.jpg