Quartapound's 45g Cube Reef

Quartapound

Pretty cool, A little choppy but great resolution
I think I've got those bugs ironed out this morning... had some tweaking to do with bitrates and framerates... I'd almost call it "buttery smooth" now! ;)

For anyone curious or looking to emulate this setup, I'm using:
SMC 1011W IP Camera ($25 factory direct!) --this is all that's really needed to monitor your own tank, just need to forward a port in your router to the camera's address

To facilitate sharing stream with a mass audience:
Ustream.tv account--free
Wirecast Pro-- takes IP cams RTSP stream and converts it/relays it to Ustream in RTMP format (Ustream isn't compatible with most IP camera's video format unfortunately). It's not free, but very impressive broadcasting software. I feel like I could be running my own TV station

here's the link again for easy access
LINK
Anyone with questions feel free to ask!

jroovers

Super Active Member
That is very cool! Thanks for posting the information, I have an owl box out back and want to get a camera setup inside of it so I can monitor what is going on, this may help me out. :)

Quartapound

omg... I did it... Just pulled the trigger on a Maxspect Gyre Generator XF130. price just dropped by 30 bucks! I can't wait for it to get here. not sure if i want to run it vertically or horizontally yet. I'm sure I'll post lots of pics and vids once it gets here.

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
omg... I did it... Just pulled the trigger on a Maxspect Gyre Generator XF130. price just dropped by 30 bucks! I can't wait for it to get here. not sure if i want to run it vertically or horizontally yet. I'm sure I'll post lots of pics and vids once it gets here.
Wait a minute you already made enough off your YouTube link to buy a gyre!

Man hook me up with one of them site dewdads

jroovers

Super Active Member

I would try both but I think vertically in a corner of your tank would be perfect. I have mine at the top rear of my peninsula horizontally, but my tank is only 12" deep. You're going to love it.

jroovers

Super Active Member
Doooo it and post it ... i wanna see an owl

We have a screech owl that has started to roost in it occasionally, we put it up after nesting season in the summer, so we won't know until spring if it will be occupied by nesting owls. Would be nice! I would need a camera with pretty good wireless range, or a pretty darn long cable to get it into the house (a 100' at least if not more).

21665700644_147bbb9102_c.jpg

Quartapound

I would try both but I think vertically in a corner of your tank would be perfect. I have mine at the top rear of my peninsula horizontally, but my tank is only 12" deep. You're going to love it.
I like the vertical idea in the back corner for looks and flow, I guess I'm wondering if I'll lose the show off factor of fast rippling water surface and wave capabilities

Nonuser

Distinguished Member
I like the vertical idea in the back corner for looks and flow, I guess I'm wondering if I'll lose the show off factor of fast rippling water surface and wave capabilities
I get your point. Obviously you'll need two :)

Unless you could get a suction cup with a swivel type end on it so you could connect it to the gyre and allow it to spin like a pinwheel. Creating like a vortex.

Second thought this might not be such a great idea :(

Last edited:

Quartapound

I get your point. Obviously you'll need two :)

Unless you could get a suction cup with a swivel type end on it so you could connect it to the gyre and allow it to spin like a pinwheel. Creating like a vortex.

Second thought this might not be such a great idea :(
Lol. I still think you get points for originality

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quartapound

quick update guys... I got the Gyre 130 last night, very impressed so far! ...woke up this morning and one of my RBTA's decided to have an up-close encounter with the pump at some point throughout the night... It does come with foam guards similar to the vortech (although it has two different guards with different foam densities for more flow control) but I didn't have them on. The anemone is healing in my frag tank, I still have another in my DT (and a few more in my frag tank lol).

First impressions... lots of movement!! right now I'm running it at 40% on pulse mode(top of tank horizontally), the tank is bare bottom so I could go higher but my LPS aren't very impressed when I do.

I really like the fact that the Gyre comes with spare parts! spare bushings, spare vibration dampers, spare propellers, spare cages... it's really nice knowing if something goes wrong chances are I won't have to wait for a replacement part to be shipped to me.

Right now it's horizontal at the top of the tank but I will be doing some more experimenting with vertical placement, as well as alternating gyre mode this weekend.

The remaining anemone in my DT has sensed a change in flow and has now relocated himself right ontop of my feather duster (the one I JUST got at the Brantford show) ...the feather doesn't seem too bothered by it, surprisingly... If the nem decides to stay there though I assume there's not much I can do to try and relocate the feather duster, everything I've read says you'll kill them if you try and move them, and I'm sure he's well attached by now.

...on a positive note the nem plunked himself down right in front of the web camera, if you'd like to see what I'm talking about feel free to check it out! (link to youtube stream below)

LINK

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
Blow air bubbles at the nems foot or a ice cube will work as well, tryed it, Both methods worked both times, air bubbles take a lot longer and better have good lungs or use a air pump :)

Quartapound

I have a very small powerhead I usually aim at them when I want them to move... the problem is I actually like him there... it's a perfect spot for him and the clownfish he's hosting... I'd rather move the feather duster but I'm not sure how successful that would be