Quartapound's 45g Cube Reef

BigReefer

Super Active Member
quick update guys... I got the Gyre 130 last night, very impressed so far! ...woke up this morning and one of my RBTA's decided to have an up-close encounter with the pump at some point throughout the night... It does come with foam guards similar to the vortech (although it has two different guards with different foam densities for more flow control) but I didn't have them on. The anemone is healing in my frag tank, I still have another in my DT (and a few more in my frag tank lol).

First impressions... lots of movement!! right now I'm running it at 40% on pulse mode(top of tank horizontally), the tank is bare bottom so I could go higher but my LPS aren't very impressed when I do.

I really like the fact that the Gyre comes with spare parts! spare bushings, spare vibration dampers, spare propellers, spare cages... it's really nice knowing if something goes wrong chances are I won't have to wait for a replacement part to be shipped to me.

Right now it's horizontal at the top of the tank but I will be doing some more experimenting with vertical placement, as well as alternating gyre mode this weekend.

The remaining anemone in my DT has sensed a change in flow and has now relocated himself right ontop of my feather duster (the one I JUST got at the Brantford show) ...the feather doesn't seem too bothered by it, surprisingly... If the nem decides to stay there though I assume there's not much I can do to try and relocate the feather duster, everything I've read says you'll kill them if you try and move them, and I'm sure he's well attached by now.

...on a positive note the nem plunked himself down right in front of the web camera, if you'd like to see what I'm talking about feel free to check it out! (link to youtube stream below)

LINK

i have owned both the 35 watt and the 50 watt ,.... I love them i am running the 50 watt one now in the 150 and i sold the 35 watt i used in the 93 cube ... you will love it man really

Quartapound

....woke up to find my second RBTA stuck in the gyre this morning. 2 RBTAs in less than a month! I'm going to rename this thing "the blender". The first one is just starting to look healthy again.... It's amazing how resilient they are.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

BigReefer

Super Active Member
I am surpised by what i read man ... i have had 2 grye 35 watt one and the big 50 watt one and nothing has ever gone in it ..... sorry to hear these things

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Quartapound

Definitely a little bit frustrating!

Anyways, onto less depressing news...

I've acquired a new sump! It's a 55G tank with glass baffles. I'm going to modify the baffle layout slightly to get things set up properly for my tank, and figured it would be a chance to get a little bit fancy with the design.
Here's what I've got to work with (already cleaned and removed first two baffles that were too high)
7PeC8ZMh.jpg

I found a good example of how I'd like to start my first two chambers. Here's a few pictures
vince_s_sump_004.jpg

vince_s_sump_001.jpg

My display tank is one floor up so I want to incorporate a bubble tower, then have the water flow over a filter sock, then into a skimmer chamber, then into a chaeto growing area, then through the bubble trap and into the return chamber.

While I'm still in the design phase and looking for ideas, would anyone do things differently? I'm open to suggestions!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quartapound

update: FFS... lol. Woke up this morning and noticed my tank was cloudy (in my tank this usually means an anemone has had a close encounter with my pump).

I go downstairs to check my frag tank/anemone quarantine zone... I had completely rearranged this area last night... (in the frag tank) I took all the rock, and the powerheads, put them into into a small area I had sectioned off from the rest of the tank with 2 pieces of overlapping eggcrate (makes holes 1/4 the size)... before the anemones were in the small section, but kept escaping to the larger area (I didn't want them on the rocks/near pumps)... so I figured that's where they wanted to go, and swapped them...

there were 3 RTBA's anemone's in there last night.... 0 anemone's this morning. skimmer was going nuts.

I am officially DONE with anemones.

getting a big batch of RODI ready for a WC.

Quartapound

Starting to mess around with RAW pics and Lightroom (I should have been doing this all along)
only tweaked white balance. taken using T2i and nifty fifty with extension tube.
Green Slimer Acro
zMWmhMX.jpg