RO/DI system

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
Reef Hero link said:
Woah 110psi.... That's what it needs to operate properly? Is that how it gets the higher water ratio??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yea my BRS one I think is ideally ran at 60psi, with my water only going in at 45-50psi. That's why I am debating about getting a different unit with the booster already on it.

Currently I have 2 units going, one is feeding its waste into another unit.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
unibob link said:
[quote author=Reef Hero link=topic=7103.msg74554#msg74554 date=1387986121]
Woah 110psi.... That's what it needs to operate properly? Is that how it gets the higher water ratio??

Yea my BRS one I think is ideally ran at 60psi, with my water only going in at 45-50psi. That's why I am debating about getting a different unit with the booster already on it.

Currently I have 2 units going, one is feeding its waste into another unit.
[/quote]

BRS I think can run at even 50psi.... This is pretty standard for most membranes I think....In their video they claim not to worry too much unless it is below 40psi. And their booster pumps I think are only set to turn on at 40psi or lower pressures. Are you saying your water goes into the membrane at 45-50psi Jerry??

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
That's what the gauge says, around 45psi if nothing else in house is running water. I have it tapped off the cold feed on my hot water heater, it's a black little piece that threads inbetween the water heater and a flex hose feeding a toilet in washroom. I just stick my 1/4" hosing into the connector.

I'm wondering if maybe a tap module would give me more pressure?

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Is the gauge installed right before the membrane in your kit? Or is it before the first sediment filter??
The pressure should be fairly consistent throughout the house.....might be a little bit higher closer to where it comes into the house in the older houses. I recently put gauges on my rodi kit....mine is kinda a Frankenstein kit lol but I'm quite happy with it. I read about 65psi coming into my first sediment filter and maybe 63psi going into my membrane. However, if another tap is fully opened these pressures drop by almost 10psi....still not too bad I don't think.... 45 psi though seems pretty low jerry.....what will it drop to when another tap is opened?
This is why I first asked about the 110psi rating for the vertex because this is significantly higher pressure needed than other models.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Jewel link said:
I've got the Vertex unit and the pressure guage is 80 PSI, I've had Budget systems before and got rid of them when it's time to change the filters I payed 300 from Flavio in Milton, He is a Vertex Rep so any problems I return it to him and he looks after me. I bought my skimmer from him as well, I was gonna order on line and he gave me a better price,

So, my question is, what is the required psi for the vertex units to operate properly?? 80psi?

nexusnight

to be honest im not sure what the correct psi is. I had a small problem with mine when i first got it and it was up at like 120psi. Dealt with cust support and selife and all was sorted out no problem. the vertex techs told me that the psi does fluctuate from unit to unit because of household water pressure. i believe tho that the pumps are supposed to cut out at 110psi, thus my previous problem. the higher the psi the longer life and more efficient ur membrane is and lasts. When talking to them they claim up to 4 times longer life over other units because there systems are so much more efficient.
Side note the higher price tag is not really high at all when u consider the cost of all the extras they include compared to a cheaper unit.
:D

nexusnight

just a curiousity but why would u need a 5 or six stage if u had something like the vertex that works and constantly produces 0 tds water. i dont see the point for the extra stages. Add up cartrige replacements and the like and save no money in the long run? Just IMO :)

Pistol

Super Active Member
Donor
nexusnight link said:
just a curiousity but why would u need a 5 or six stage if u had something like the vertex that works and constantly produces 0 tds water. i dont see the point for the extra stages. Add up cartrige replacements and the like and save no money in the long run? Just IMO :)
Dual membranes for water saving and higher production, extra pre-filters and carbon for membrane savings, extra DI for longer period between changes.

Jewel

I was going to order a 6 stage from BRS with the two DI Cartriges but when the Vertex offered the pump and the processor ( it tells you when to change the media ) I went that route. The price difference was 20 bucks

nexusnight

he may be referring to the tds meter? Mine doesnt either other than when the tds creeps up, backflush a few times and good to go for a while again. with the backflush feature u can sure squeeze some extra life outta the cartriges.
Oh and no one has added the best part!!! The vertex is a sexy beast compared to the other guys lol ;D

Jewel

The processor has a Volumizer and it tells you how many gallons of water that has been used on the cartriges. But theres a TDS meter so as soon as it creeps up i'll be changing them.

DerekL

I have the aquasafe aquarium II 7 stage RO/DI unit and am happy with it and the cost of the unit. You can always order an inline TDS meter such as I did. There customer service is excellent and they are a Canadian company.

davesolo29

Super Active Member
Jewel link said:
The processor has a Volumizer and it tells you how many gallons of water that has been used on the cartriges. But theres a TDS meter so as soon as it creeps up i'll be changing them.
Mine doesn't tell me how many gallons have run through. Can u take a pic and show me?  Maybe they have upgraded newer models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Petercar (RIP Dec 2017)

Distinguished Member
Donor
davesolo29 link said:
[quote author=Jewel link=topic=7103.msg74641#msg74641 date=1388083077]
Mine doesn't tell me how many gallons have run through. Can u take a pic and show me?  Maybe they have upgraded newer models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/quote]mine dosnt either

mig

Website
www.cameroncollision.com
I am also researching RODI units. Sometimes the more I read the more confusing it can be. The Vertex seems tempting as ppl mention the 1to1 or 1 to 1.5 waste ratio but I've been reading reviews and lots of ppl say because of that it will require more media changes therefore costing more in the long run than your higher water and sewage bill on a 4 to 1 unit. However, I dont see companies advertising what the waste water ratio is.
Heres a quote from another forum
<snip>'If you don't have soft water and lower than average then stick with a normal 4:1 waste ratio system like Spectrapure, Buckeye Field Supply or PurelyH2o. The cost of replacing membranes and DI when you try cutting the waste almost always exceeds the cost of a well flushed membrane and the water and sewer bills from the 4:1'

Bfofre

Aquasafe,  $140, using this system for years..  No problems,  0tds reasonable price for replacement filters..  Not sure what else anyone needs

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk