Salty Cracker's "new Tank" Deconstruction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Okay, just starting a new thread, as tank should come back home tomorrow (?)

125 with 40 gal sump. Dual "ghost" overflows with 2x dry overflow backup.

Here is the overall plan for the look of the stand and hood:
mockup.jpg

Here is the progress (before a slight hiccup)
4.jpg

...and the start of the lights and hood:
5.jpg

Water in the drums, and "live"rock in the sump:
6.jpg

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
left side..jpg
Well.

Tank is half full and now the other side has separated, the original side that had separated is fine.

I don't think I have it in me to a) buy a new tank or b) keep trying with this cursed thing. Obviously there is something brutally wrong, but the whole thing was taken apart and re-constructed, and it's been curing for a couple of weeks. Yes some companies cure for months, but last time the left side was fine, and right side was separating. This time the right side is fine (well way better) and the left side is separating.

I can't have a $$$ tank sitting there waiting to fail. Just not happening. Take a look what it looks like when it's empty, then as the water starts to go in.

Nick James

I'm definately no expert but may it require some bracing at the top? Just a thought... probably a dumb one

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I asked about that, it's 1/2" glass, there shouldn't have to be any bracing at all, the silicone should be more than enough to hold it, well as long as it's actually bonded to the glass. I suppose it might help, but my confidence in the seal will never be good enough to risk an expensive reef setup. Plus it looks pretty unsightly.

This is worse than the other side was, and the tank is only 1/2 full. I think this one might actually split if I filled it all the way.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I could clamp the side, but as soon as I release the clamp, the stress bubbles are going to return. If I remove the water the seam looks jet black again, it's definitely the stress of the water that's doing it.

Supposedly he smashed both sides to remove them, and took the front off so that the whole thing was sealed evenly. Just a cursed tank. I'm going to drain it and likely just start using the water for my main tank, so that I can get the drums returned. I kind of want some sort of semblance of order back, I might even dismantle the stand.

nathan

Super Active Member
Website Affiliate
I could clamp the side, but as soon as I release the clamp, the stress bubbles are going to return. If I remove the water the seam looks jet black again, it's definitely the stress of the water that's doing it.

Supposedly he smashed both sides to remove them, and took the front off so that the whole thing was sealed evenly. Just a cursed tank. I'm going to drain it and likely just start using the water for my main tank, so that I can get the drums returned. I kind of want some sort of semblance of order back, I might even dismantle the stand.
Wow salty sorry to hear about your tank. That really blows big time!!

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Well it is what it is. I'm not going to have 120 gallons of water sitting there, just "hoping" the glass won't give way, so we'll see what he says tomorrow.

Tempting to throw in the towel, but was just upstairs and a lot of the corals are really rebounding. 80% of my old colonies are flourishing again. So hard to just throw that away, although I could simply sell the colonies and part it out....

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
Well it is what it is. I'm not going to have 120 gallons of water sitting there, just "hoping" the glass won't give way, so we'll see what he says tomorrow.

Tempting to throw in the towel, but was just upstairs and a lot of the corals are really rebounding. 80% of my old colonies are flourishing again. So hard to just throw that away, although I could simply sell the colonies and part it out....

No You Will Not Throw In The Towel Mr. Glenn Saltycracker;)!!

SHOOTER SAYS NO!!!

Plus.... I need someone to talk fish with when I come to London to bug for frags;)

Status
Not open for further replies.