Salty Cracker's "new Tank" Deconstruction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I used clamps the first time, and Gary used clamps when he came to fix it, and then he told me he clamped it when I took it to be rebuilt. As far as I can tell each time it left the tank with a 0 sealant line, basically glass-glass, so this time I was going to just use tape and maybe a wood frame I might make for the inside. I'm going to go with a slightly thicker silicone bead, although I just found out Bigshow is out of stock on the silicone I ordered, and Gary has chosen not to respond to messages. I swear I just can't win with this tank. The cosmos is trying to tell me something.

So very likely going to avoid clamps this time around, just tape :)

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I just got a bottle of black from @reefdiver not sure if he has any more available though

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
That's exactly what bigshow/darren just told me, they must send them out in mix packs or something...

I need a couple of tubes of the clear, I've already paid online for them, supposedly they will be in "next week", but man, how many times in my life, and indeed in this cursed build, has "next week" meant "nothing resembling next week". :sigh:

Shooter000

HomeGrownFrags
That's exactly what bigshow/darren just told me, they must send them out in mix packs or something...

I need a couple of tubes of the clear, I've already paid online for them, supposedly they will be in "next week", but man, how many times in my life, and indeed in this cursed build, has "next week" meant "nothing resembling next week". :sigh:
Alright buddy I'll stop by tomorrow night with a six pack and you can tell me all about your troubles my friend;), but seriously heading to London, let me know:)

unibob

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate

I was there today, they truly have lots of black and 1 clear. If you told me to pick it up you would have 1 clear and the. Reef diver would have the other (not sure if same brand), but I'll say it again...

Someone was being a salty cracker earlier ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Tomorrow night is a bit of a mixed bag, wife is away, and I take over shuttle duties for some of the kids that take karate.

I'm down to one pane left, and it's really being a bugger because there's nothing to hold/push against to open up the seam a bit, and again, glass on glass. I'm trying to come up with cool ideas to get it out and not accidentally
ugh1.jpg
ugh2.jpg
smash it to bits.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I was there today, they truly have lots of black and 1 clear. If you told me to pick it up you would have 1 clear and the. Reef diver would have the other (not sure if same brand), but I'll say it again...

Someone was being a salty cracker earlier ;)

Heh no I wasn't, I meant the post is super slow due to Christmas, and that you would be much quicker! :)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I almost think the black would be okay as long as it isn't squashed. BUT after a ton of time, effort and $$$ I'm just going to go with clear. I need the two bottles just in case I get 90% done and run out. I plan to use LOTS and squeegee out the excess, instead of being so worried about keepng it neat.

TORX

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I like using guitar string, once you get it in an edge, then warm the silicone, with a blow dryer or heat gun, then the string just cuts through like a cheese slicer. No extra directional force needed.

reefdiver

Website Affiliate

I could likely have more this week if you need me to

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I like using guitar string, once you get it in an edge, then warm the silicone, with a blow dryer or heat gun, then the string just cuts through like a cheese slicer. No extra directional force needed.
No word of a lie there is no space for even an E string, that's the issue. Razor blade only fit when I used a spreader clamp and worked -very- slowly downward mm by mm. I think that's the cause of the weak seams for sure. Also, the first time I took this apart, I used a thin blade down the sides and when it got tight it made a couple of chips in the edge of the glass, so I'm being 5x more careful about glass-metal contact.

The large front pane had enough space at the bottom for me to fit a blade all the way through and run it along. No consistency in the seams at all.

SURE AM GLAD I PAID AN EXPERT TO REBUILD THIS.

reefdiver

Website Affiliate
I will order more silicone in both colors tonight and always keep it on hand so if people in the area need some it'll be available

Can do the same for plumbing parts if there is things ppl want often

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I will order more silicone in both colors tonight and always keep it on hand so if people in the area need some it'll be available

Can do the same for plumbing parts if there is things ppl want often

Do you have acrylic cement? The overflows leak a bit (seriously I figured that was the least of my worries)

reefdiver

Website Affiliate
Do you have acrylic cement? The overflows leak a bit (seriously I figured that was the least of my worries)

That I don't have. Not sure where to get that. I'll ask around. You could call Sabic in London, they might be able to direct you.
You have to be really careful with that stuff is very caustic

shamous113

defiantly sounds like the seams were starved, Seams should be around 1mm to 1.5mm thick, however, I have seen rimmed tanks with seams around 3mm thick (not recommended). I used these right angle clamps on my most recent build. loved them they didn't put pressure on the seam and acted like a extra pair of hands.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
defiantly sounds like the seams were starved, Seams should be around 1mm to 1.5mm thick, however, I have seen rimmed tanks with seams around 3mm thick (not recommended). I used these right angle clamps on my most recent build. loved them they didn't put pressure on the seam and acted like a extra pair of hands.

Yeah don't think I'll have 3mm silicone gaps, but "zero" is not doing it.
I may grab some of those little lee valley fellas. I do a fair bit of woodworking, likely useful for more than just tanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.