Salty's "new" 125

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
A few people at the fragfest asked why I wasn't selling frags this year, and a few asked for pieces of colonies. I answer with this pic:
butcher.jpg

This is what most of my colonies ended up looking like in my old tank because I was constantly chopping off the "nice" pieces and putting them on plugs. This time around I want the colonies to look like colonies, and THEN I can cut the overgrowth for frags.

Kman

Super Active Member
That is the approach I like to take. Let them get big and established and then make cuttings. The only time I will make a cut before that is if I am trying to shape it away from another coral and influence the direction I want it to grow.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I will try and remember to do some pics tonight. I have just left the tank to grow, rarely putting my hands in. SPS still responds to water changes, so if I want growth I just do a daily 5 gallon or 10 gallon change for a couple of weeks. Otherwise I dose 2-part and a few drops of iodine once a month, nothing else.

The tank is still holding together, the only issue is the 4 overflows Garry made, they all leak more or less constantly, so there is salt creep coating each pipe. Where they are, I would have to drain the tank and move it in order to fix that. Constant reminder that you go to a professional to build your tank, not a hack.

Lighting is still the same cree bulbs I got 5 years ago. I've had to replace a couple, but only the ones that aren't under a splash shield.

Balance in the tank is good, lps is growing as is sps. No algae, no dinos, no fish deaths, nothing (knock on wood). It's the tank I wanted 20 years ago :)

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Couple of quick pics with full lighting on, didn't really clean the glass so there is some haze. Just before I step up water changes in hopes of a lot of new growth. There is a couple of wildcaught specimens I have that aren't really doing anything, likely shock, but hopefully they will come around. Otherwise everything thriving. Much more natural when you leave them to grow instead of constant trimming.

1.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I should mention that, of course, the tank looks 10000x better under the blues, BUT the whites do show that there is much more colour to the coral than I had in the previous builds (I only ran blues so they had mostly florescent colours only).

No real frags yet, just one small frag rack, but at some point I'll have to start planning cuttings. Some colonies are already out of hand, but so far everything has been playing nice even when they touch.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Fish are pretty good, I do see that the cardinals aren't thrilled with there being 4 in the same tank, even though they're their own offspring, but otherwise everyone gets along just fine.