Spring Frag Swap - London

P

phi delt reefer

Police hall on Adelaide is like $100 but you have to know a cop. Also I don't know if they are open for day time events.

Wonder if we could organize a bus from GTA to bring up some members from there.

I've never heard of a frag swap in the GTA so they might be interested.

We need a couple frag tables for display and a heater and some circulation.

Jewel

I think it's a great idea, You gotta start somewhere. Why not London. Not sure what I could do to help but count me in, I could guard the Yumas or watch for the crazys No really you may get the guys from the states up here trying to sell their wares and gadgets

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Jewel link said:
I think it's a great idea, You gotta start somewhere. Why not London. Not sure what I could do to help but count me in, I could guard the Yumas or watch for the crazys No really you may get the guys from the states up here trying to sell their wares and gadgets

I like wares and gadgets. 

It would be neat to have a ring in the center where the local stores could finally duke it out...the winner gets the prize (free cat)

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
My husband and I would love to come (he is just starting a predator tank) but we have nothing to swap.  Would we still be able to come and maybe purchase some frags?  We would love to meet everyone.  :)

AdamS

Someone (mod) should change the name of this to frag swap and sale.

The answer is yes, you can just buy. That is the swapping of frags for cash. These events are great for established reefers to sell their frags from overgrown colonies, and great for people starting to get deals on frags.

yveterinarian

Super Active Member
Fabulous!  Saturdays work well for me as I only work 1 Saturday every 4 weeks.  Hopefully it will be on one of my free ones.  If not, I'll try to switch with someone.  :)

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
Ill be bringing lots of frags :)
Here's an idea, why not just make something from
One of those clear tubs from Canadian tire or whatever, there 6" high maybe and 3'x 2' or whatever, section off a little piece for a heater and a powerhead.

Rig up a light and your good to go. If u have the extra heater and power head and light It wouldn't cost more than 30$ to set up

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Advertising....  Sponsors/vendors....volunteers ....  Salt and water....

spyd

Super Active Member
I can donate an acrylic frag tank to the swap. It's 4ft L x 18"wide x 12" h. It's crappy but definitely holds water. I will gladly donate the tank to thefragtank for future use in swaps, etc. I can also donate heaters and possibly a powerhead. I just have to see what I have in the junk pile. lol.

I would have some frags to bring but would definitely be more of a buyer right now. If no stores are willing to donate salt, I can do that as well. I went a little crazy at Boxing Week this year.  ::) I think I have 10 + boxes of RC in the basement.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I chatted with a few people that do these and got some great ideas.  First and foremost: Cash brought in will go to 1) costs, 2) charity (fragtank.ca may count as charity to keep it a free website).  I really don't need to make any money off this, and charity helps garner public support (everyone loves charity), and may help spread the word about the event for the future. 

Each person should bring their own tank/lighting if they want to sell their frags.  I think a central 'floater' tank would be good, a fairly good size with a heater and some good lighting (kind of like what rick had at the first swap, that was great), but just plopping frags into a communal frag tank might be bad for all (ie everyone gets red bugs!).  However, that's just my first thought on it, I certainly don't want to turn down any offers of equipment too early.  A little rack of royal blues would showcase a little tank of frags really well, I think the guys that present the best end up selling for more $$$ in the end.  I know a lot (most?) of people come to buy. 

I think the name will be FragFEST London 2013.  Debate and discuss.

All vendors would be welcome, in fact considering how well Ricks shindigs go, vendors would be crazy not to attend.  I hope that everyone can get along for the event, it's a hobby for most of us, a business for others, we need to respect both sides of that equation.

Volunteers: It would be great to have a couple of people for setup/breakdown, I'll try to find out today what they expect in terms of time/cleanup etc.  Also, it would be nice if there were people sort of watching booths, I don't want any theft to mar the event.

I'll thinking about Saturday June 1st.  It's right at the spring/summer point, after may 2-4.  Debate and discuss.

That's all I have for now....

Poseidon

Distinguished Member
i think we should start a list, for attendance, bring your own tank, community tank, or if your just comming to buy

im all for bringing my own little tank/ tote, to show my frags in, maybe even share with someone? people can pair up

P

phi delt reefer

Salty Cracker link said:
I chatted with a few people that do these and got some great ideas.  First and foremost: Cash brought in will go to 1) costs, 2) charity (fragtank.ca may count as charity to keep it a free website).  I really don't need to make any money off this, and charity helps garner public support (everyone loves charity), and may help spread the word about the event for the future. 

Each person should bring their own tank/lighting if they want to sell their frags.  I think a central 'floater' tank would be good, a fairly good size with a heater and some good lighting (kind of like what rick had at the first swap, that was great), but just plopping frags into a communal frag tank might be bad for all (ie everyone gets red bugs!).  However, that's just my first thought on it, I certainly don't want to turn down any offers of equipment too early.  A little rack of royal blues would showcase a little tank of frags really well, I think the guys that present the best end up selling for more $$$ in the end.  I know a lot (most?) of people come to buy. 

I think the name will be FragFEST London 2013.  Debate and discuss.

All vendors would be welcome, in fact considering how well Ricks shindigs go, vendors would be crazy not to attend.  I hope that everyone can get along for the event, it's a hobby for most of us, a business for others, we need to respect both sides of that equation.

Volunteers: It would be great to have a couple of people for setup/breakdown, I'll try to find out today what they expect in terms of time/cleanup etc.  Also, it would be nice if there were people sort of watching booths, I don't want any theft to mar the event.

I'll thinking about Saturday June 1st.  It's right at the spring/summer point, after may 2-4.  Debate and discuss.

That's all I have for now....

change the name to FRAGTANK FRAGFEST

and add some boobs to the flyer...everybody loves boobs.

How big are we looking to make this? Should we contact the main distributors in Canada and have them send some reps with product demos?  Its essentially free advertising to their dedicated customer base. We could get a light sponsor, circulation pump sponsor, etc. These guys usually pay a participation fee at those "reefstock"/"macna" events. With ours being free im sure they will be more likely to attend.  I dont mind doing the leg work to get in touch with some distributors to see if they would be interested in participating. In turn this might bring in folks from GTA/Windsor and all the places in between for it'll be a legit event!

i worked on a restaurant out in Strathroy (ten minutes from london) that has a banquet hall and meeting room. Its got concrete floors, tons of parking and we could have a chinese buffet! I know the owner so i could see what the pricing would be like and get us  a good deal. If we go the with an admission fee it could include access to the buffet.  Probably could get the hall for free if our ticket pricing includes buffet costs.

the_restaurant_sideview.jpg

[img=1400x1050]http://www.amys-restaurant.com/images/phocagallery/SpecialEvents/BanquetRm/banquetrm2.jpg[/img]

meetingrm1.jpg

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Insurance?  Covered by the hall?

I think we should rent the jlc

P

phi delt reefer

we dont need insurance... the hall is covered under it's own insurance. They got fold out tables we could use as well.

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Well fragtank fragfest wont work because it's not location based, a bit confusing.  I think we'll stick with london, just as a central location (plus fairly recognizable by people not from the area). 

I'm trying to get the legion hall in Lambeth, it's 4 minutes from the 402 and right off colonel talbot road.  Just got off the phone, upstairs on a SAT is $475+HST, the basement is $325 but they have a thing there every sat afternoon (sundays are open at this point).  The upstairs is a little nicer than the basement, there is good parking, and the date is open.  I have to negotiate the price with the girl there, but she's gone until Friday, so I will see if my city worker friend has any other locations close to the 401/402.  I want to make it as easy to find/get to as possible.