Spring Frag Swap - London

Jewel

I'm sure we wouldn't have a hard time finding a place to have it, a central location is better, deciding on a date would be the hardest part because like it was said, we are all working and have schedules.

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Salty Cracker link said:
Oh Rick's gotta do it, that's a given, this is sort of an interim swap.  Hard to wait a whole year sometimes.

I still plan on hosting our annual Fall swap but someone should defiantly organize one in the spring. 

Rent a cheep hall - Charge $5/person to cover costs of rental or $10 if you wanna offer food (possibly sell food). 

If you host it they will come....It doesn't have to be anything fancy. I know that I (and I'm sure others) would be more than happy to assist anyone seriously looking to take this on.

Also...We have funds in our fragtank.ca account to help front costs for events like this. 

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
A spring swap!!!!!..... I would be willing to help out if it was near the London area.....if I had a sweet shop I would even think about hosting one..... I wonder what it would cost to rent a hall.....how many ppl would come out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Reef Hero link said:
A spring swap!!!!!..... I would be willing to help out if it was near the London area.....if I had a sweet shop I would even think about hosting one..... I wonder what it would cost to rent a hall.....how many ppl would come out?

I like the idea of renting a hall, but at this point I think you would get 20 people, and not -really- worth it.  Hopefully we can eventually get enough serious people to attract michigan sellers :)

I could likely host something, the weather would have to be -fairly- decent, however I have a walkout basement, inside bar, and outside bar.  I do think a large tank and lighting for floating frags is needed, I think the only real cost of a meet would be the salt to do up the tank.  Frags sitting on a table just don't have the 'wow' factor to get people's juices flowing.  (no offense to tables of course) ;)

ricklalonde

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Website
www.thefragtank.ca

I like the idea of renting a hall, but at this point I think you would get 20 people, and not -really- worth it. 

Renting a hall is only going to cost $100-200 that's only 20-40 people at $5/person. We had close to 40-45 people show up to the one at my place and I'm way out in the boonies. If someone were to host one in London I think you could easily get 60+ come out.

Hopefully we can eventually get enough serious people to attract michigan sellers :)

I would love to eventually have swaps like they do in Michigan.

I think the key is to start small and work our way up. Small successful swaps to get hobbyists/venders used to the idea before attempting to organize something like the big one in Lansing, MI. We get caught in a catch 22  because people don't know what to expect. Venders will only show up if they know that there will be hobbyists there to purchase their goods, hobbyists only want to go if they know that there will be venders there to sell them goods.

sunnykita

Super Active Member
I think it's a great idea guys that you could flesh out into a spring wing ding and swap. I don't have or won't have any frags, but would certainly jump in to lend a helping hand with whatever was needed. Keep the juices flowing. My daughter is a member of the Woodstock Warriors roller derby team, first match of the year coming up in March, the 9th, the last  match sold out ahead of time ! They rent the Oxford Aud, I could ask what their price is for it, but I'd imagine it would be pretty spendy. There may be small halls that can be rented for a day or a conference room in a hotel? But to do that you'd have to know you were going to have lots of attendance. Thinking cap on. I guess it all depends on how big you want to go.

ricklalonde link said:

I like the idea of renting a hall, but at this point I think you would get 20 people, and not -really- worth it. 

Renting a hall is only going to cost $100-200 that's only 20-40 people at $5/person. We had close to 40-45 people show up to the one at my place and I'm way out in the boonies. If someone were to host one in London I think you could easily get 60+ come out.

Hopefully we can eventually get enough serious people to attract michigan sellers :)

I would love to eventually have swaps like they do in Michigan.

I think the key is to start small and work our way up. Small successful swaps to get hobbyists/venders used to the idea before attempting to organize something like the big one in Lansing, MI. We get caught in a catch 22  because people don't know what to expect. Venders will only show up if they know that there will be hobbyists there to purchase their goods, hobbyists only want to go if they know that there will be venders there to sell them goods.

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I think Rick is right..... You just have to start small and see what happens....obviously it is not going to be a smash hit with lots of vendors and such right away but a swap like this in the London area could have a lot of potential IMO...... We just have to show ppl(vendors and hobbyists alike) that they do work..... Kevin Costner had faith, now we have to as well!! LoL If others are interested too I really like the idea of renting a small hall...... I have a small generator too if we need more power but a few heaters, pumps, and LEDs shouldn't draw very much...... I just think we need to start somewhere and be prepared whether its a hit or miss.....and then do it again the next year.....eventually they will catch on because I know there is lots of ppl here who love the hobby. Only dilemma is who brings the tanks and water? IMO each person should bring there own equipment and setup including water.....which is really much when you think about it.....I would be willing to invest in a proper setup just for this kind of thing if I knew it was something that happened and had decent success.....

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I'll ask my buddy at the city if he knows a good spot that might work well.  Preferably near the 401 I would guess so easy for everyone.  We'll see :)

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
Something cheap..... :)
Cuz we won't want to charge much and if vendors or people would be willing to come and display then I doubt we would want to charge them much or anything at the start because we need to get it established.....

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Okay I might have a line on a place that would be perfect, we held a thing there a couple of years ago, in lambeth, near the 401/402.  Cheap.  I'll see if I can get in touch with them tomorrow.  Wouldn't be fancy, but might gauge interest. 

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
Okay, I think I can get a place that could hold 100-200, something like that, probably cost ~$300 for a few hours. 

Trying to see if there's actually interest, since it takes a bit of effort to put these things together, and you can feel kinda silly standing there holding the bill at the end.

I would say that all vendors would be welcome for a small fee, no idea what that would be, and a small entrance fee, but that might go to food (I know there's a bar there but not sure if their staff has to run it, etc).  Not a moneymaking venture, but I find people don't put value to things they don't put money in towards.  It would be a great spot to get info from people that really know what they're doing...find some deals, and make it fairly organized.  I mean, Chuck needs to be set up in a booth with his selection, BIGSHOW too, except he gets charged extra for his booth ;)

Reef Hero

Super Active Member
I am in for sure salty......I can help with anything and would be willing to front costs with you as well. We gotta get something like this happening here because I was planning on moving to the USA after coming back from the lansing swap :)
Oh, we definitely need some fancy acrylic glow sticks for pointing at pieces with....those were my favorite thing I seen at other swaps!!

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
I'll get exact prices and what can/can't be done tomorrow.  I can't imagine that a few fishtanks and a bunch of fish geeks will be much of a worry for the hall.