Teebone's Epic 210G SPS Build

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
Metro is a great broad spectrum antibiotic and effective against many internal parasites a must have for a good QT regimen. However it isn't going to take care of the big three (brook, ich, velvet) other than in the general strengthen, prevent secondary infection sense. Commercial fisheries have used Metro for ages but it is not considered an effective ich or velvet cure though it can relieve symptoms which can hide signs of infection on the negative side.

IMO the bad protozoan parasites have become much more pervasive and resistant to treatment as the hobby has expanded. I have become a firm believer that adding a specific anti protozoal quinine derivative (Chloroquine Phosphate) to your QT is a must if you want to keep more sensetive species that will not tolerate copper or hypo well.

Tee, the way things have gone for you and reef keeper isn't helping my enthusiasm for getting my new build up and running!!! I appreciate the honest approach...it's easy to share success but it really doesn't teach us anything...

heath

Distinguished Member
so sorry for your losses, I to have been in contact with Seachem several times, don't have them on speed dial but, they are at the top in my favourites list.. hopefully, this is just a short set back and that the tank is be back to normal very shortly..:(:)

Jewel

Tee, the way things have gone for you and reef keeper isn't helping my enthusiasm for getting my new build up and running!!! I appreciate the honest approach...it's easy to share success but it really doesn't teach us anything

I have to agree, as I said in an earlier post, when did it get so difficult to manage our tanks, I too am in the early stages of planning my next build and am questioning choices. I will definitely have a quarantine tank, but am very hesitant at this time to actually pull the plug on such a large tank. In the past my tanks have been Coral dominated not fish, but i'm still hesitant.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Metro is a great broad spectrum antibiotic and effective against many internal parasites a must have for a good QT regimen. However it isn't going to take care of the big three (brook, ich, velvet) other than in the general strengthen, prevent secondary infection sense. Commercial fisheries have used Metro for ages but it is not considered an effective ich or velvet cure though it can relieve symptoms which can hide signs of infection on the negative side.

IMO the bad protozoan parasites have become much more pervasive and resistant to treatment as the hobby has expanded. I have become a firm believer that adding a specific anti protozoal quinine derivative (Chloroquine Phosphate) to your QT is a must if you want to keep more sensetive species that will not tolerate copper or hypo well.

Tee, the way things have gone for you and reef keeper isn't helping my enthusiasm for getting my new build up and running!!! I appreciate the honest approach...it's easy to share success but it really doesn't teach us anything...

Thanks for sharing your expertise and your comments are consistent with what I have read in other forums. I had questioned SeaChem about this, but they do indicate the use of Metro-focus for ich, along with a Paraguard dip to help prevent other parasitic disease. I hope there is some science to it, as it seems to be working so far. I will consider chloroquine phosphate as another measure for safe quarantine practices.

so sorry for your losses, I to have been in contact with Seachem several times, don't have them on speed dial but, they are at the top in my favourites list.. hopefully, this is just a short set back and that the tank is be back to normal very shortly..:(:)

Yes, I have found them to be very helpful and wouldn't hesitate to contact them again with more questions, thanks for the kind words :)

thanks for sharing T, so sorry that you had such huge losses, but happy that your enthusiasm hasn't waned ! best of luck going forward !

Losing fish and coral is tough, but it is all the unfortunate part of the hobby. I try not to let it keep me down and look to learn from both bad and good experiences. Thanks :)

I have to agree, as I said in an earlier post, when did it get so difficult to manage our tanks, I too am in the early stages of planning my next build and am questioning choices. I will definitely have a quarantine tank, but am very hesitant at this time to actually pull the plug on such a large tank. In the past my tanks have been Coral dominated not fish, but i'm still hesitant.

Take your time and go slowly- and go big or go home, lol, not Big Show big tho- that's just crazy:D

I find that I am seeing more and more builds that are happening too fast, tanks cycled in days or weeks and then filled with coral and fish.

Yep, I couldn't agree more- I don't think that I could have gone any slower with my build and with livestock additions. I did my best to prevent a catastrophe but I really do believe that I got a nasty parasitic outbreak.

It is really crazy that there have been about 4-5 new build threads that have all had issues, and I think its a combination of multiple variables- but the common denominator is that all of these tanks were new builds.

Thanh

Sorry to hear that bud. I have been waiting patiently ,to see your new amazing set up. With the experience that you have,thing will turn around in no time. GLuck

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Well, I have been battling nitrates and doing my best to get control over the total nutrient balance.
About 2-3 months ago, I added about 3 cups of biopellets and also added 3 litres Sera Siporax about 2-3 weeks ago.

Oct 1- Nitrates still high >20ppm

Oct 18- Nitrates remain high >20ppm

Nov2- Nitrates still remain high >20ppm

Nov29- FINALLY, it looks like Nitrates are coming down to around 10ppm

I do have some nasty brown cyano crud covering my rock and some of the sand bed, but I know it just part of the new tank phase and should be over in a short while.

Thinking that I'm winning the war with nutrient balance and getting Nitrates to an acceptable SPS "worthy" level, I added a "survivor frag" of confusa for a real world test.

Its been somewhat thriving over the last week, with decent polyp extension is holding it colour.
See pic below, its kind of a blue pic, but its encouraging!

Hopefully a few more frags will be added shortly.

No more new fish for a while, as the current crew seem content and most importantly disease free!

Last edited:

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Same old story, Still having issues with nitrates- not sure if its related to my rock or maybe not enough rock? They have been staying close to 10ppm, which I would like to lower to >5ppm for longterm.

Added another cup of biopellets a few weeks ago, so I think I have about 3 cups in total- this should hopefully help with my nitrate issue.

I did add an Automatic Water Changer with the help of a Litermeter3 at Christmas- it has been awesome- very quiet, effective, and very easy to use. Pushes and pulls from my Water reservoir through about 100ft of 1/4" tubing.

I need to visit some of my peeps to add some frags and get this tank rocking!

I really should add some pics.

Thanh

Good the heard that thing are doing good again.
I got about 50-60 pounds of rock in my display nothing in the sump and everything is doin great. How much rock do u used?some pixs would be nice.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Alright, here is an updated pic of my system- I have been "sporadically" busy enclosing my stand and designing a custom canopy for my ATI fixture and LED bars. I will try to post another pic soon to see the stand and canopy better.

See below...

If you look closely, you can see that I have added a bunch of fancy frags, and will post up some more pics very soon- more like while they are still alive!
o_O