Teebone's Epic 210G SPS Build

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
@teebone110 . Can I ask what caused your crash?

Since you asked... One word... "Hyposalinty" Proof that sticks don’t like a salinity of 1.015 :(

What happened was I was running my autowater changer and forgot about it, then my ATO kept topping off my tank for many weeks so it was hard to notice. With my super busy schedule, I was totally distracted and was content that I as able to stay on top of my water changes, then I started noticing that my SPS were looking off and couldn't understand it. By the time I figured it out, my SPS were all starting to RTN.

All my fish did well, but I lost most of my colonies. The stuff that made it is tough as nails. Was really disappointed to lose my OG Kryptonite Torch- it will be missed.
Took me a while to get over it and I’m finally not pissed at my tank anymore and time to move on, haha!

In the end, my tank was ready to explode with acropora growth, so I guess it was a way to thin out my crowded tank.
Anyways, all good and a tough lesson to learn. The longer one is in this hobby, the greater chance that these things will happen.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Welcoming back some new and familiar classic frags to the tank- exciting times :cool:
  • Palmer's Blue Millipora
  • ORA Hawkins Echinata
  • Strawberry Shortcake
  • DV Kushberry
  • ORA Pearlberry
  • Teal Stag
  • Sarmentosa
  • DV Ultimate Bonsai

K5CiLlA.jpg

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
lol, well I think the price on my sunset millie just went up...one frag of that hawkins should do it when she's ready. I've always liked that one, but it was a unicorn coral for a while there.

(It shot out a couple of new growth tips last week. I have been dosing trace elements to get a couple of stubborn ones to get going, and it seems to have worked. Unfortunately, some of my weed corals liked it too...the fire and ice is getting to be the size of a basketball.)

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
lol, well I think the price on my sunset millie just went up...one frag of that hawkins should do it when she's ready. I've always liked that one, but it was a unicorn coral for a while there.

(It shot out a couple of new growth tips last week. I have been dosing trace elements to get a couple of stubborn ones to get going, and it seems to have worked. Unfortunately, some of my weed corals liked it too...the fire and ice is getting to be the size of a basketball.)

Yes,, hopeful for a lot more frags coming your way soon. I had really good luck with my last Hawkins, hoping this one takes off as well!

What are you dosing for trace elements?

Last edited:

Salty Cracker

Administrator
Staff member
Website Admin
That's excellent. I'll likely be able to cut the ultra grape and the sunset soon. I've never had the hawkins, it was always either just sold, or crazy expensive.

I have tried so many additives, and honestly the one that seems to trigger growth was kent essential elements. No idea what's in it, but I tried the various colour ones, the bloom ones, one that smelled like buttered popcorn, and the kent just seems to work well with the sps (and it's easy to get locally). I've even started spot feeding the 'roids again at night, so I should have crazy shaggy polyps soon too. I find I have to kick start frags in my system (shock from nutrient rich ones), which is what I'm doing now, I want to get all my new frags encrusting and branching. I've been worried about overgrowth in the tank, but meh, I'll just sell off colonies when they get too huge. Salt bill will go up too :)

Did the frags you got from me work out at all? I know it's tricky because I like the bleached sticks, but they're all from really healthy colonies (and lots of those left if any stn/rtn). I figure you know what your'e doing (well except for checking salinity!), so they should do fine in your system. ;)

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
So you are using the Kent Essential Elements... sounds like a good choice, especially if you can get these easy. Might need to consider.

I am trying the Tropic Marin - Part C to go along with my BRS 2 part regimen. Will be interested to see how this "balanced" approach goes after a few months. I have heard that many get good results, so willing to give it a shot.

307227_867x.jpg

The frags all all doing great, the Tyree Pink Lemonade looks spectacular at this moment. It’s starting to colour up nicely. Thanks again.