Teebone's Epic 210G SPS Build

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
pulpfiction1 link said:
durable looking stand Tee,cant wait to see it finished

It's pretty strong, built like a tank ;)
daleomilla link said:
looks good don't stop. keep up the good work with lots of pic.

Will do. thanks :)

Poseidon link said:
[quote author=pulpfiction1 link=topic=8304.msg90745#msg90745 date=1397822301]
durable looking stand Tee,cant wait to see it finished

+1,
When's the tank getting here :)
[/quote]

Thanks, I am thinking very soon ;)

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
I finished priming the frame with about 3 coats of primer, then as recommended, I used polyurethane to seal things up. To my surprise the extra coats of polyurethane actually turned the white primer a "yellowish" colour :(

I did some reading and apparently it is only with white finishes that this is really noticeable. I might sand it down and go lighter in some spots, the good news is that most of the yellow staining will be covered by my sump, so no big deal.

Just now considering my stand "skin" and have identified these three designs…

Because my stand is 72" in length, the first two designs will have to be slightly modified to allow for the additional length.
Another consideration is that I would like to maintain the wide open access under the stand without obstruction, so I would like to stay away from a center brace. Options could be a centre door that is removable, wider doors, or folding doors.

Any other ideas, let's hear about it?

I have been consulting with Adam (nexusnight) as he seems to know what he's doing with a saw ;D

sunnykita

Super Active Member
A center door held on with magnets a possibility? I have a 30 gallon corner tank that has skin panels that have magnets in them that cling to the metal stand.

curiousphil

Super Active Member
teebone110 link said:
I finished priming the frame with about 3 coats of primer, then as recommended, I used polyurethane to seal things up. To my surprise the extra coats of polyurethane actually turned the white primer a \"yellowish\" colour :(

I did some reading and apparently it is only with white finishes that this is really noticeable. I might sand it down and go lighter in some spots, the good news is that most of the yellow staining will be covered by my sump, so no big deal.

Shame about the polyurethane adding a yellow hue! :(  I have seen this before but always assumed that the yellowing was caused by aging.  Whenever Ive used it, it's been to finish unpainted hardwood.  I was originally thinking that it may have been a good idea to use a white waterproof paint inside your stand.  Something like: http://www.homedepot.ca/product/behr-premium-low-lustre-enamel-porch-patio-floor-paint-ultra-pure-white-946/938933

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
sunnykita link said:
A center door held on with magnets a possibility? I have a 30 gallon corner tank that has skin panels that have magnets in them that cling to the metal stand.

Magnets are a really good option, I have seen some sweet builds using earth magnets to hold on doors. I will look into these. Thanks!

nexusnight link said:
i like the first one the best truthfully, bifold doors on each side would be cool

I agree, it keeps coming back to me after looking at many other designs. Now I just need to figure out what finish to consider and pull the trigger ;)

curiousphil link said:
[quote author=teebone110 link=topic=8304.msg91331#msg91331 date=1398307476]
I finished priming the frame with about 3 coats of primer, then as recommended, I used polyurethane to seal things up. To my surprise the extra coats of polyurethane actually turned the white primer a \"yellowish\" colour :(

Shame about the polyurethane adding a yellow hue! :(  I have seen this before but always assumed that the yellowing was caused by aging.  Whenever Ive used it, it's been to finish unpainted hardwood.  I was originally thinking that it may have been a good idea to use a white waterproof paint inside your stand.  Something like: http://www.homedepot.ca/product/behr-premium-low-lustre-enamel-porch-patio-floor-paint-ultra-pure-white-946/938933
[/quote]

I always thought the same about the yellowing being caused by aging, oh well, live and learn, at least it can be fixed easily! I think I am going to sand it down and just go with very very light coats of poly since I have it on hand and I don't really want to buy another can of paint. :) Thanks for the link!

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Well….. I got the call!

My tank is in, should have it this weekend… woo hooo!  8)

giphy.gif

sunnykita

Super Active Member
water based varathane doesn't yellow, dries in about 20 minutes a coat. When I did tole painting on wood years ago we used it and the finished product could be used outside, I love the product. Low odour too, multiple finishes as well, gloss, matte.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
sunnykita link said:
water based varathane doesn't yellow, dries in about 20 minutes a coat. When I did tole painting on wood years ago we used it and the finished product could be used outside, I love the product. Low odour too, multiple finishes as well, gloss, matte.

Interesting… about the varathane. The poly that I am using is water based and has similar characteristics. You probably had good results applying it to wood. I wonder if it would have a yellow hue if applied over a white coating? I am hoping that I went to heavy with it. Im such a "rookie."

sunnykita

Super Active Member
hmmm, interesting that it is a water based you are using, I don't recall having any yellowing issues as we used white paints. I'm wondering too if the coats were a little heavy. Did you sand lightly between coats?

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
sunnykita link said:
hmmm, interesting that it is a water based you are using, I don't recall having any yellowing issues as we used white paints. I'm wondering too if the coats were a little heavy. Did you sand lightly between coats?

I did sand with a 400 grit sand paper, but I think I went too heavy. I will try again this weekend and see how things turn out.

Jewel

Magnets do work well but so does Velcro, My stand is a Steel frame that is skinned with maple and attached with Velcro. It has a Single panel on the front that easily comes off when accessing the sump, I'm thinking about changing in to Black Acrylic.

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Still deciding on the front door configuration and found this pic of a 72" stand with two bi-fold doors….

DSC_0019_Small.jpg

Also deciding if I should just make a skin that pulls away from the stand/frame so that there are 2 pieces. This could be a nice option, should I ever need to get in and do some plumbing or reconfiguration under the tank. :)

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Ever see 3/4" Starphire glass up close?

This is looking down from the top of my new tank, 26 inches toward the bottom through a side panel, covered with a flat 5/8" starphire piece of eurobracing.

8)

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Ya regular glass is totally green and not see through after 6 inches lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk