Teebone's Epic 210G SPS Build

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Duke is right about the pressure on the overflow box and possible tank drainage.  I have never dealt with an internal overflow.  ButI do knwo the elbows are completely optional :) They prevent a whirlpool effect on the siphon which can be noisy and slurppy, and I think they may help with any noise on the trickle in some cases.  I have set systems with and with out them. 

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Neopimp link said:
Duke is right about the pressure on the overflow box and possible tank drainage.  I have never dealt with an internal overflow.  ButI do knwo the elbows are completely optional :) They prevent a whirlpool effect on the siphon which can be noisy and slurppy, and I think they may help with any noise on the trickle in some cases.  I have set systems with and with out them. 

My overflow box isn't vented and is built like a tank. The manufacturer constructed a glass box with 3/8" glass inside and covered it with a layer of acrylic, so the chances of it caving in to pressure very low. It should be able to handle the pressure if I try to run the siphon at the bottom level of the bulkhead.

So are you running elbows now? Just curious  :)

Duke

Distinguished Member
Website Affiliate
I think it's still kinda risky to run it right at the bottom.. If u do then to u might as well just have your full Siphon be an open bulkhead in there.

The turn downs just eliminate that whirlpool noise u might get from open stand pipes..

If anything u should rethink the siphon on the bottom because of the smell your overflow is going to emit every time you shut the pump off.. And if u have it off for too long all that living stuff in there will probably die off a bit too.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
Since your stand pipe wont be glued, if you wanted to clean the crud.... just pull the siphon pipe and stir all the shit up and it will get sucked into the sump.  Replace pipe and life is back to normal:)

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
I would bring my pipes up a little higher than what duke has shown, the higher the water level the less distance water has to fall and the less noise you will have esp[ecially if you have any kind of wave maker.  and I would make the siphon at lest 2-3  inches shorter than the trickle if you are going to do a straight pipe for the siphon drain.  And even if you are using elbows I would still make at least a 1" difference between the two drains.

This is why I said don't glue any plumbing inside the over flow... take it apart and tweak it :)

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Neopimp link said:
I would bring my pipes up a little higher than what duke has shown, the higher the water level the less distance water has to fall and the less noise you will have esp[ecially if you have any kind of wave maker.  and I would make the siphon at lest 2-3  inches shorter than the trickle if you are going to do a straight pipe for the siphon drain.  And even if you are using elbows I would still make at least a 1\" difference between the two drains.

This is why I said don't glue any plumbing inside the over flow... take it apart and tweak it :)

No glue, as I am sure I will have to tweak it a few times to find the sweet spot.

I will use elbows on both the siphon and the trickle, I don't see any reason not to, especially if it decreases risk of noise.

..and Yes, I will have a wave box kickin'
8)

AdInfinitum

Super Active Member
teebone110 link said:
Thanks, good recommendations, you guys are wise beyond your years ;)

Standpipe it is!

Good call!  This whole discussion seemed to me to be taking a large amount of risk just to get a sketchy amount of self-cleaning in your overflow that would just make it more likely that any rogue snail would go straight down the pipe.

I wish that I had seen Duke's setup before I remodeled my 200gal acrylic with a bean and an internal overflow box.  That is as sweet as it gets.  8)

Oh and BTW I went 3 x 1.5" drains and it is on beyond overkill.

Neopimp

Website Doctor
Staff member
Website Admin
AdInfinitum link said:
[quote author=teebone110 link=topic=8304.msg93277#msg93277 date=1399723363]

Standpipe it is!

Good call!  This whole discussion seemed to me to be taking a large amount of risk just to get a sketchy amount of self-cleaning in your overflow that would just make it more likely that any rogue snail would go straight down the pipe.

I wish that I had seen Duke's setup before I remodeled my 200gal acrylic with a bean and an internal overflow box.  That is as sweet as it gets.  8)

[/quote]

Ya three 1.5 is nuts:)  I wish i had done 3 1.25 drains instead of all 1".  a 1" doesnt have enough flow to handle the hammerhead pump, even at 15+ feet of head. I need to run 2 siphons to keep up with the pinched back pump

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Neopimp link said:
[quote author=AdInfinitum link=topic=8304.msg93621#msg93621 date=1400022956]
[quote author=teebone110 link=topic=8304.msg93277#msg93277 date=1399723363]

Standpipe it is!

[/quote]

Ya three 1.5 is nuts:)  I wish i had done 3 1.25 drains instead of all 1".  a 1" doesnt have enough flow to handle the hammerhead pump, even at 15+ feet of head. I need to run 2 siphons to keep up with the pinched back pump
[/quote]

What is your hammerhead pump rated at?

teebone110

Distinguished Member
Website
www.thefragtank.ca
Here are some shots from the recent move from my garage down to my basement. The key here was lots of planning and preparation. I had to go with an alternative plan since the landing between my upper and lower level was tight.

Tank double wrapped in blankets and plastic wrap We also braced the inside with some wood to prevent any additional stress during the move...

Some extra tape and blankets (just in case) ;)

Here is a picture of the mechanical appliance stair dolly that made things super easy…

We got it vertical, harder then it looks...

Easy does it…

Belts tightened and ready to go into the main level…